DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing At Night?

When you take off your light comes on and landing it comes back on when close to ground at night.
Is drizzing here so will try later but did try this afternoon and took off from here

View attachment 54263 went out and RTH and landed here View attachment 54264 Now was taking off in rocks so no target
but only off a few inches. Really doesn't matter to me as I hand catch almost every time so just checking to see .
G'day everyone,
I might be wrong but I thought if you RTH it GPS is employed regardless whether the vision is good or otherwise. GPS works day and night.
please advise,

It does .But with the new update it just lands closer than it did .

Reactions: Porky
I'd be curious to see how well it would perform at night. In theory it should match up the pictures taken before and after takeoff from the bottom vision sensors, but performance would be dependent on how well it works with the lights on.

G'day everyone,
I might be wrong but I thought if you RTH it GPS is employed regardless whether the vision is good or otherwise. GPS works day and night.
please advise,
The GPS is used to get within best accuracy of GPS, which can be as much as 10ft in error.
To get closer to the mark, precision landing takes images during takeoff using it's bottom vision sensors. It then uses the stored image and lines up the AC on landing using the stored image and what the bottom vision sensors now see.
Insufficient light, bottom sensors won't work. However M2 were incorporated with landing lights that can light up the ground from 10 to 30ft up so precision landing might work at night on an M2 even though it uses vision for the precision part of landing.

Reactions: Mile2102
Well just got in from trying it . All I have in my back field to take off from is a stump .
Tried it anyway and it missed by about 1' to 2' the 2 times I tried it .
Now with a real landing pad it might do way better but that is what I just saw .
Not much of a takeoff pad but works for me at home testing stuff .
IMG_2128.jpeg

The GPS is used to get within best accuracy of GPS, which can be as much as 10ft in error.
To get closer to the mark, precision landing takes images during takeoff using it's bottom vision sensors. It then uses the stored image and lines up the AC on landing using the stored image and what the bottom vision sensors now see.
Insufficient light, bottom sensors won't work. However M2 were incorporated with landing lights that can light up the ground from 10 to 30ft up so precision landing might work at night on an M2 even though it uses vision for the precision part of landing.
Thanks DanMan, I guess the key word here is Precision.

A few differences i can see to mavic 1.

The first "precision adjuments" appear now much higher, in the region of 300ft ive seen whereas the original mavic didnt until it got to about 30ft. So it starts correcting sooner.

As for the light, i took off in daylight, flew around, came home and when it returned it was dark enough for the auto light to turn on, it landed to within an inch.

Not tried an all night flight though - illegal here.

Well just got in from trying it . All I have in my back field to take off from is a stump .
Tried it anyway and it missed by about 1' to 2' the 2 times I tried it .
Now with a real landing pad it might do way better but that is what I just saw .
Not much of a takeoff pad but works for me at home testing stuff .
View attachment 54335

I’ll give it a go with my landing pad when the weather improves, looks like it’ll work going by @gnirtS post but just need to try it for myself;)

I’ll try it “cos I can” but I don’t think it’ll be something I’ll use to often.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeah I just wanted to test it. I will never use it as I do take
over rth as soon as it gets overhead and bring it to me.
I’m glad they did get it back though for those that do use it.

Yeah I just wanted to test it. I will never use it as I do take
over rth as soon as it gets overhead and bring it to me.
I’m glad they did get it back though for those that do use it.

100% agree with you dirk, nice to have if needed & glad it’s now been added to the M2 series.;) Now I just don’t know what intelligent flight mode to use 1st... lol:)

Reactions: dirkclod
The first "precision adjuments" appear now much higher, in the region of 300ft ive seen whereas the original mavic didnt until it got to about 30ft. So it starts correcting sooner.

I did a PL with the original Mavic today, it starts correcting the landing much sooner than 30ft. I'd say 60m/200ft or so it started making small adjustments.

None of the 3 ive tried have ever flashed on the screen "precision landing. correcting position". Not just general GPS wobble with no associated message.

In the US, all hobbyists are legal to fly 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. But, everyone should already know this...

Who are you to point others pilots what they should or shouldn't do, you don't even know from what country he is from !?

P.S. will check P.L. in few secends, from my garden. Is peach black outside now.
I have a Mavic 2 zoom updated to the latest firmwhere this week and PL doesn’t work and there is no check box

At the mo we’re lucky here in the UK for night flights but how long for, who knows;)

Well this time next year compulsory registration inthe UK and I believe training/test (all be it an on line and easy one) . Whilst nightflying has become part of the PfCO as you say I susspect it will require (just as intrument/night flying does for larger aircraft) a second test to fly after dusk.

The usual UK pattern is to make registration free, easy and compulsory. Then when they have everyone registered the have a purge on the unregistered users followed by tightening up the rules, charges and tests for the registered people. They did that with cars about 100 years ago :)

So November 2019 registration and a simple test for all UAV's over 250 grams.
Then we can expect tighter tests, requirement for insurance, seperate tests/license for night flying etc for *everyone* recreational or commercial. There is no difference when it comes to safety between recreational and commercial.

Hi, are you flying your drone at night because it is illegal.
not illegal.

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

pilot you can fly your aircraft at night but it just needs to have a lighting system that meets. those requirements. so that is good you can operate legally all day long as long as you want at all night long. ... now this is a place where enthusiasts from all over the world come together to share their drone flight videos.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor