DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Presidential restricted areas

paulw

Reactions
I am in an area where if he is in Wilmington or Lewes on a weekend I am in a no fly zone from the surface up to 17999. Being within a few miles from the edge of these areas it seems over reach for sUAV's. Seems more frequent as he spends more time away from DC. One would think this could be handled better without putting the President at risk.

Afraid your gonna have to deal with it whenever he or other government officials are in your area. Is the way it always have been. ?‍♂️

I am in an area where if he is in Wilmington or Lewes on a weekend I am in a no fly zone from the surface up to 17999. Being within a few miles from the edge of these areas it seems over reach for sUAV's. Seems more frequent as he spends more time away from DC. One would think this could be handled better without putting the President at risk.
Those restrictions aren't "just" for UAS. It's for all AIRCRAFT which includes UAS and this has been the situation for many many years now. If we are going to play in the NAS we have got to do so within the existing rules & regulations or stay on the ground.

I am also affected by the same TFR's even though I am just outside of Philadelphia. These TFR's have seriously affected my income as I do roof inspections part time in the evenings and on weekends. It seems like he is in Delaware at least twice a month. Seems like they could, but more likely than not, use the upside down wedding cake approach for UAS as when you apply for authorization for restricted zones, you have to submit your controller serial number and the model you are flying so they know the range your drone can fly. There is now way I could possibly get anywhere near his location, not to mention that we can't fly BVLOS and the maximum altitude I do inspections is about 100 feet AGL. Guess I am just venting as nothing changes for the better with our government.

As BigA107 says they are for all aircraft. You can imagine the problem they are in the Los Angeles area where mountainous terrain restricts the ability to circumnavigate. Usually they are well timed and noted but they can popup unannounced and lengthy.

I understand your frustration. However, it is what it is and you'll need to go outside the NFZ to fly

I am also affected by the same TFR's even though I am just outside of Philadelphia. These TFR's have seriously affected my income as I do roof inspections part time in the evenings and on weekends. It seems like he is in Delaware at least twice a month. Seems like they could, but more likely than not, use the upside down wedding cake approach for UAS as when you apply for authorization for restricted zones, you have to submit your controller serial number and the model you are flying so they know the range your drone can fly. There is now way I could possibly get anywhere near his location, not to mention that we can't fly BVLOS and the maximum altitude I do inspections is about 100 feet AGL. Guess I am just venting as nothing changes for the better with our government.

These rules have been in place a LONG time. If you live/work in one of the areas that sees common TFR's you'll need to work to schedule your flights around the planned TFR's or find an alternate way to do roof inspections. Nothing is going to change for a VIP/Presidential TFR. Think BIG PICTURE :)

Reactions: dirkclod
I live near the art museum in Philadelphia. I was sort of surprised by the amount of airspace that gets closed. I feel like I saw a live feed of the President’s return to DC. I checked and the restrictions seemed to lift within 20 min. I could be wrong.

I do feel for the roof inspector guy. Maybe there is a way to get a waiver. The President seems like a decent guy, but even his hands might be tied.

It is a crazy world. Who knows what the threats are like at any given moment.

I live near the art museum in Philadelphia. I was sort of surprised by the amount of airspace that gets closed. I feel like I saw a live feed of the President’s return to DC. I checked and the restrictions seemed to lift within 20 min. I could be wrong.

I do feel for the roof inspector guy. Maybe there is a way to get a waiver. The President seems like a decent guy, but even his hands might be tied.

It is a crazy world. Who knows what the threats are like at any given moment.

It's not impossible to get authorization to fly in a TFR (even a Presidential TFR) but the odds are very doubtful. The amount of paperwork, planning, and hoop jumping isn't trivial and usually only viable by a large company willing to put in the efforts. It takes meetings, missions documentation, safety ops, and so much more just to get started. I don't see a Roof Inspection Co. putting this amount of time and effort in.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Always check TFRs here: tfr.faa.gov

Use the state dropdown menu and find out what they are locally. If you're close to another state, check that one too.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yep.

Bummer.

Yep.

Bummer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4