DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pretty soon, you won't have to call us air traffic controllers anymore :)

mccraze

Reactions
Hello from your friendly ATC/drone pilot,
I'm an FAA ATC guy, and I also happen to have a P3S and a MavPro, and I absolutely love them. I also, on occasion, fly fix wing/single engine recreationally. I just thought that I'd post some informative information once every blue moon.
Our goal at the FAA is and always will be safety, as a number one priority to both the flying public, and those on the ground below us. Other government entities focus on national security to prevent malicious use of consumer grade UAS's, and I am unable to answer questions related to national security.
Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) will be coming down the pipe to streamline requests for users and to enhance safety for the public.
-LAANC handles part 107 and 101 requests through the UAS website and the Before you
Fly app. All FAA and FCT maps are available. With LAANC you no longer have to
contact the airport and the facility for notification, you can just use the app. The app have can
display approvals and denials. There are 10 test sites, IOC is October 15, and training
starts September 1 or 15. The test will be for 30 days and the National rollout is
scheduled of February 2018.
These dates are tentative and can change, but you can find more information on FAA.gov.

I might log in once a week or so, so I'll apologize ahead of time for untimely answers to any questions. Details on the LAANC will soon be available online, as we get closer to Feb 2018.

Have fun, but by all means, please be safe and be aware. :)

Just want to say Thanks for this positive and informative post about flying in the USA. I wish Canada was at least trying some different things.

Reactions: mccraze
Hello from your friendly ATC/drone pilot,
I'm an FAA ATC guy, and I also happen to have a P3S and a MavPro, and I absolutely love them. I also, on occasion, fly fix wing/single engine recreationally. I just thought that I'd post some informative information once every blue moon.
Our goal at the FAA is and always will be safety, as a number one priority to both the flying public, and those on the ground below us. Other government entities focus on national security to prevent malicious use of consumer grade UAS's, and I am unable to answer questions related to national security.
Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) will be coming down the pipe to streamline requests for users and to enhance safety for the public.
-LAANC handles part 107 and 101 requests through the UAS website and the Before you
Fly app. All FAA and FCT maps are available. With LAANC you no longer have to
contact the airport and the facility for notification, you can just use the app. The app have can
display approvals and denials. There are 10 test sites, IOC is October 15, and training
starts September 1 or 15. The test will be for 30 days and the National rollout is
scheduled of February 2018.
These dates are tentative and can change, but you can find more information on FAA.gov.

I might log in once a week or so, so I'll apologize ahead of time for untimely answers to any questions. Details on the LAANC will soon be available online, as we get closer to Feb 2018.

Have fun, but by all means, please be safe and be aware. :)
Do you work center, TRACON, tower? I primarily fly out of KSNA here in SoCal, and ATC (particularly TRACON) is as good as it gets. If I need ATC services I always get a friendly, helpful controller no matter if I am IFR or VFR.
So, thanks from a pilot who flys out of towered Class C airspace. I appreciate all you do for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mccraze
Do you work center, TRACON, tower? I primarily fly out of KSNA here in SoCal, and ATC (particularly TRACON) is as good as it gets. If I need ATC services I always get a friendly, helpful controller no matter if I am IFR or VFR.
So, thanks from a Part 141 pilot. I appreciate all you do for us!

I work in a tower and approach facility. :) I absolutely appreciate your kind remarks! "Most" of us do our best to give friendly service to our customers, and I know some controllers at SoCal, so I'll definitely pass the word of praise, and tell them to keep up the good work! Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121