DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Private Security at Amazon Data Center

Oz9902

Reactions
I was out with my Mavic at a park flying next to a new Amazon Data Center, they have Private uniform "mall cops" at all corners 24/7. I was flying in the park and one of the Mall Cops approached me in a car and asked me for my driver license. I told him to kiss off, and call the local police if he had an issue with me.

Question can I fly around or even over this property ?
upload_2017-9-8_8-54-14.png

Reactions: Rbruz
Hi Oz9902
You don't say where in the world you are, but I would think that provided that you obey the FAA, ( USA ) or the CAA ( UK ) restrictions on overflight and takeoff, I cant see how they can prevent you flying near their property, having said that there has I believe been some posts on this forum regarding people contesting the overflight height restrictions, have a dig around on the forum, I cant remember when I saw the Post, but good for you to take the action you did :)Thumbswayup
Waylander

I work at IAD AWS. If you are here in VA, you cant fly over there due to Dulles Airport. And besides, why would you fly over there? Basically they all look same and ugly... just a warehouse with servers.

I was out with my Mavic at a park flying next to a new Amazon Data Center, they have Private uniform "mall cops" at all corners 24/7. I was flying in the park and one of the Mall Cops approached me in a car and asked me for my driver license. I told him to kiss off, and call the local police if he had an issue with me.

Question can I fly around or even over this property ?
View attachment 21405
Is this Ohio aws(amazon web services) site? I know we are building in Ohio

I work at an aerospace firm. Sign in front says, 'Private Property - to include Airspace'. Somethings are off limits. It's not a Federal facility though.

I work at an aerospace firm. Sign in front says, 'Private Property - to include Airspace'. Somethings are off limits. It's not a Federal facility though.
They have the legal right to put up a sign, but there is no law that says a sign needs to tell the truth.

If you are in the national airspace system technically the only entity you have to deal with id the FAA. There are on-going arguments about property owner airspace rights and when the national airspace system starts (FAA Jurisdiction) If I was doing a 107 flight I would have diplomatically told the mall cop to take a hike (as he interfering with the operation of an aircraft). I would however, avoid flying over that property. My 2 cents!

Last edited:

They cannot do that unless they got the feds to declare the area around the facility restricted airspace. In SoCal a private aircraft could overfly Plant 42 and see air kinds of aircraft on the ramp at any given time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15