DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro vs Air

rsierra54

Reactions
Hello everyone! I am still going back and forth as to what to buy. We know at some point a Pro 2 is coming out but who knows when. I sold my P3A and ready to get flying again. I’m not sure why I’m hung up on concerns regarding the Wi-Fi for the Air connection. I live on the coast and love flying over the water. I’m also torn about the size. The size of the Air makes it so attractive and so does the additional seniors. As I’m doing research I came across these photos. Not my pics but thought others with the same dilemma might find it helpful. No specific question just sharing.

IMG_0545.JPGIMG_0546.JPGIMG_0547.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0549.JPGIMG_0550.JPG

To be honest, the only advantage that the air have over the Mavic Pro is the camera and more smaller. Other than that, the Mavic Pro win. I rather get the Mavic Pro because I love long range. I own a Mavic Pro and to me is the perfect size, no small but not big. The only thing that sucks in the Mavic Pro is how fragile the gimbal it's. Man, that thing feel like any little touch can destroy it.

Hello everyone! I am still going back and forth as to what to buy.

Go to the following page, choose the Air and the Pro as the two you wish to compare. After viewing the resulting dozens of specs, you will know which one you want.

Consumer Drones Comparison- DJI

P.S. Are you an "early adopter"? If you are not, then forget about waiting for the Pro II.

Reactions: rsierra54
People like to say size, but when you pack both of them up (especially using the smallest bags you can find), they're essentially the same size. The craft itself is smaller and the remote is slightly more compact because of the removable sticks, but the overall package ends up being only a wee bit small. I have a semi-rigid pack with foam cutouts, and had the fly-more bag for my MP, and the size compared to equivalent bags for the MA is so insignificant that I could never consider it something that would sway me. Now, if you were buying the individual hardbags for the RC and the AC, which leaves no room for spare batteries, you really see the Mavic Air as smaller. But, I don't know how many people have that as their main mode of transport. I much prefer the single bag with all my stuff.

Same thing for the sensors: the addition of rear sensors if of no great important to me, because I've seen the limitations of them. The front-facing ones can be nice, though they're a double-edged sword with the sun, but the rear ones are mainly of use only if you like to fly backwards a lot or if you have a bad habit of smashing sticks, rather than easing gently onto the controls. The minimum amount of sensors to sway me to actually care would be the number the Phantom 4 Pro has, and I really want DJI to eventually make an upward sensor in case of RC-disconnect-RTH and being under an object, this way every direction is completely covered. If they could bring in the amazing mapping abilities of the R1, that would be great, but I doubt we will see that level of sophistication from DJI for at least 3 years, if ever.

I believe there are a lot more people that fly with the sensors off rather than on.

If you're mostly flying over water, I think you should go with the one that has longer range and longer flight time per battery.

I believe there are a lot more people that fly with the sensors off rather than on.

If you're mostly flying over water, I think you should go with the one that has longer range and longer flight time per battery.

Conversely, if your main concern is to have a quad in your pocket at all times for spontaneous selfies, then the Air is the way to go. If you don't fit either Youser's or this description, then read all the specs side by side.

My first DJI was the Mavic Pro. Then purchased the Spark. Had both for some time then DJI announced the Air, so I sold both(Pro and Spark) to have just one, so I bought the Air. Have been playing with but wanted to go back with the Mavic Pro so I purchased the Platinum. Let me tell you something: OccuSync gives you a peace of mind that enhanced WiFi will never give you and also fly time. Now I’m selling the Air. Mavic Pro and Platinum are the best in my personal opinion.

I am new to drones, my first one was the mavic air when it came out a few months ago. Here is my experience. I had a lot of fun with the air. It was easy to use, portable, and its features worked well. however, just speaking for myself, its connection could be very gitchy, especially if you're around neighborhoods or other congestion. Nearly every time I used it, I would get video skips/lag, high interference warnings, and I even had a 100% signal loss and auto return to home once. It is also noticeably louder than the pro. I was constantly watching youtube videos and trolling through this site looking at what people were saying, especially long time drone owners. The general consensus seemed to be that the pro is better, and the air is simply an upgraded spark. Everybody was shocked that they used wifi with the air and not the incredibly reliable ocusync of the pro. I ended up selling my air and getting a pro. I am very glad I did. I like the slightly larger size, the longer flight time, its a little quieter, just as portable and easy to carry around, and it has a rock solid connection. I haven't had a single glitch with this thing yet, even at 1.5 miles out. The only weak point about the pro that you read about is its free hanging gimbal, that lacks any real protection. You can order a guard for it on amazon for less than $20, if you choose. The pro also has a better remote, with full telemetry, incase your app crashes. The pro has been around for a while, it is tried and true. I am thrilled with the pro. I truly feel it is a better unit than the air. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am new to drones, my first one was the mavic air when it came out a few months ago. Here is my experience. I had a lot of fun with the air. It was easy to use, portable, and its features worked well. however, just speaking for myself, its connection could be very gitchy, especially if you're around neighborhoods or other congestion. Nearly every time I used it, I would get video skips/lag, high interference warnings, and I even had a 100% signal loss and auto return to home once. It is also noticeably louder than the pro. I was constantly watching youtube videos and trolling through this site looking at what people were saying, especially long time drone owners. The general consensus seemed to be that the pro is better, and the air is simply an upgraded spark. Everybody was shocked that they used wifi with the air and not the incredibly reliable ocusync of the pro. I ended up selling my air and getting a pro. I am very glad I did. I like the slightly larger size, the longer flight time, its a little quieter, just as portable and easy to carry around, and it has a rock solid connection. I haven't had a single glitch with this thing yet, even at 1.5 miles out. The only weak point about the pro that you read about is its free hanging gimbal, that lacks any real protection. You can order a guard for it on amazon for less than $20, if you choose. The pro also has a better remote, with full telemetry, incase your app crashes. The pro has been around for a while, it is tried and true. I am thrilled with the pro. I truly feel it is a better unit than the air. Good luck.

Can you share the camera guard you use?

Not mentioned, but noise. The Air is as loud possibly louder than the Spark, and the Spark IMO is quite loud. Both Spark and Air have smaller props, and seem to have a much more noticeable whine, bee sound.

Plus to the Mavic Air, is that DJI most definitely tweaked the noise reduction algorithm and you can get excellent video including shadow details. The MPP can get there, however you need to be using a custom style to control the noise reduction. And of course the bit rate for 4K is higher.

As already has been mentioned, Air is "enhanced WiFi" and there has been enough written about range/disconnections/ etc. The Mavic PP with ocusync is most impressive. I have gotten as far I ever would want to go over 1 mile out with full signal. With iPad no video issues, sadly with the CS monitor, that is not the case. CS has a ways to go IMO just no reliable and for the cost that is most unfortunate.

Camera to camera, I would be very surprised if there is really much difference, as both are core 12MP sensors, and odds are the same exact sensor.

Mavic PP, has a longer time in the air, which I love, has a read out on the actual controller, (has saved me more than once with video lockups on CS) and it's just not that loud. Many people are not as concerned it seems on noise, but it's the noise IMO that get noticed before anything else.

The Mavic also allows for portrait orientation (rotation of the sensor not gimbal which is an excellent asset for panos from stills). Mavic also has focus, which many folks over look and possible get into trouble as they are filming with the lens out of focus.

Mavic PP is very flare prone, with the sun coming from the side and the flare is most destructive. You can add a hood to help however this adds complications. You can't fly fast with a hood as the hood will show in the video and 9 shot panos are out, as the hood will show on the top shots and also the 360 panos are out with a hood. Not sure how the Air handles flare.

My wish, a MPP, 20MP, larger sensor, (don't think a 1" sensor will get into the solution, but 12MP is limited for printing).

Paul Caldwell

Can you share the camera guard you use?
Sure. I got the first one for use during flight. the second one for use during storage/transport. It covers the gimbal, and secures the gimbal so it doesnt move. Its a little easier than the one the pro comes with. Excuse me on the prices....you can get both of them for less than $20.00. They are like 8.00 each. Its a no brainer. Both recommendations from the forum. https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Gimbal...ds=mavic+pro+lens+hood+gimbal+guard+sun+shade

All great feedback! You guys are awesome for sharing your insight. I am now leaning towards the Pro Platinum. Since selling my Phantom I’m missing flying. Now to find the best deals out there :) Again, you guys rock for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
the pro is bigger. But folded up, batteries and remote packed in the bag the fly more came with, it is no more difficult to carry as my air was. Its bag is small.

Air bag: 240 × 165 × 95 mm
Pro bag: 175 × 125 ×210 mm

Except you are forgetting one small thing, er, big thing, are you getting the Mavic Pro charger and charging hub in that bag?

I'll wait.

You could also go in a direction that no one has suggested yet: not DJI. I would recommend buying an Autel Robotics EVO over any Mavic. As an Autel owner, I can confirm that Autel makes good quality birds and has the best customer service in the world. Also, EVO has a couple of advantages over both the Mavic Pro and Air. For instance, it has a durable gimbal (not like the Pro) a 3.3" OLED screen for FPV on the controller, 4K 60FPS 100mbps, 45mph speed, and more.

More information here:
EVO | Autel Robotics

Reactions: Youser
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk