DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro vs Air

Air bag: 240 × 165 × 95 mm
Pro bag: 175 × 125 ×210 mm

Except you are forgetting one small thing, er, big thing, are you getting the Mavic Pro charger and charging hub in that bag?

I'll wait.
no. I don't count that. I charge at home and just bring 3 charged batts with me. I could charge an additional batt using the car charger if i wanted, but the flight time is so good with the pro, i never do it.

So then we agree, apples and oranges... or perhaps grapefruit... a really BIG grapefruit. :rolleyes:
the pro is completely portable and easy to bring with you. Its bag is probably a little less than half the size of a typical kids school bag. Ive had both drones, and i should have originally just gotten the pro.

You could also go in a direction that no one has suggested yet: not DJI. I would recommend buying an Autel Robotics EVO over any Mavic. As an Autel owner, I can confirm that Autel makes good quality birds and has the best customer service in the world. Also, EVO has a couple of advantages over both the Mavic Pro and Air. For instance, it has a durable gimbal (not like the Pro) a 3.3" OLED screen for FPV on the controller, 4K 60FPS 100mbps, 45mph speed, and more.

More information here:
EVO | Autel Robotics
If it ever gets made...

The difference in size between the MA, and much else is very significant. I have just finishing a trip all over Norway, with both an Air, and a Nikon with several lenses. It all fits in a single backpack, and easily supports using either camera as the conditions warrant. When I am home, I usually fly a Phantom, as the size constraints are not that important.

A note to all drone flyers traveling in Norway - on the West coast, the winds can often be severe, limiting the times any drone can be safely flown.

Reactions: rsierra54
The difference in size between the MA, and much else is very significant. I have just finishing a trip all over Norway, with both an Air, and a Nikon with several lenses. It all fits in a single backpack, and easily supports using either camera as the conditions warrant. When I am home, I usually fly a Phantom, as the size constraints are not that important.

A note to all drone flyers traveling in Norway - on the West coast, the winds can often be severe, limiting the times any drone can be safely flown.

Thank you Dave! Any cool pics to share?

Hello everyone! I am still going back and forth as to what to buy. We know at some point a Pro 2 is coming out but who knows when. I sold my P3A and ready to get flying again. I’m not sure why I’m hung up on concerns regarding the Wi-Fi for the Air connection. I live on the coast and love flying over the water. I’m also torn about the size. The size of the Air makes it so attractive and so does the additional seniors. As I’m doing research I came across these photos. Not my pics but thought others with the same dilemma might find it helpful. No specific question just sharing.

View attachment 37596View attachment 37597View attachment 37598View attachment 37599View attachment 37600View attachment 37601
Hi,
I have both and after using the air for a couple weeks, I started flying my Pro again and the Air hasn't really flown since. My wife is wanting to keep it as a back up for when we go camping or on vacation. The Pro Ocusinc provides longer range and no hiccups as well as having a longer flight time. Camera wise, I like shooting my video @ 2700k and the video is crisp enough for watching later on my 60" led tv. So if I was you, I would get a Platinum Mavic Pro.

I don't have an Air, but I have a Spark and I have just completed a bunch of testing trying to improve the downlink capability of the Spark.

to cut to the chase: Occusync wins, hands down, not even close, regardless of what I do, or the circumstances of the test. the difference is night and day.

when I bought my MP earlier this year I considered the Air (new at the time) for the smaller form factor and better gimbal design, and I can only say that I am **SO** glad I decided on the MP. no wish to offend Air owners, but I simply don't understand where the Air fits into the DJI lineup with the lack of Occusync, it cripples what would otherwise be a potentially good platform. you're paying for a significant cost increase over the Spark, but you can't really use it.

I find it funny that the Pro guys all say how much better the range is. Two different posts here said "I've flown over a MILE with my Pro."

I've flown over 3 miles with my Air, and fly 2 miles every week with my Air. One mile is nothing for the Air. So unless you've ever actually gone farther then the Air can go, your argument that the Pro can go further is a mute point, since you've never actually done it anyway.
Here's the biggest problem with buying a Pro right now. The day the Pro 2 comes out, the Pro 1 will be worth half what it is today. I already see Pros selling for $600 this week. If your planning on getting the P2 when it comes out, you'd better sell your Pro now while you can still recover something from it because the day the P2 is released, you won't be able to give them away.

I personally have not, but a work colleague has 5.5 miles on his MP, with no loss of signal issues.

I have no doubt that the MP2 will make the MP1 obsolete, but regardless - the Air is not a good solution, crippled by the lack of Occusync.

Reactions: bonzo and rsierra54
I personally have not, but a work colleague has 5.5 miles on his MP, with no loss of signal issues.

I have no doubt that the MP2 will make the MP1 obsolete, but regardless - the Air is not a good solution, crippled by the lack of Occusync.
The Mavic Air is basically an upgrade to the spark. The Mavic Pro has not been upgrade it yet until the Mavic Pro 2 is released.

Unless something majorly new comes online with the MP2, I’d have to agree. Rear sensors, quick shots, etc isn’t enough to make the MP obsolete, even a more solid gimbal and increased flight time which would be great, still wouldn’t shove the original MP into the obsolete side of things I wouldn’t think.

But as for air vs pro, I’ve just went through this decision and went pro. If your flying thick back country with ponds and such around, and with no one for miles, your bound to use the range to your advantage and the extra flight data on the controller is a huge bonus plus the occusyncs stability helps a lot. Also, I can’t speak for the MA, but the Pro is freaking rock solid in the wind. So look into that about the Air if you live in a normally windy area.

Unless something majorly new comes online with the MP2, I’d have to agree. Rear sensors, quick shots, etc isn’t enough to make the MP obsolete, even a more solid gimbal and increased flight time which would be great, still wouldn’t shove the original MP into the obsolete side of things I wouldn’t think.

But as for air vs pro, I’ve just went through this decision and went pro. If your flying thick back country with ponds and such around, and with no one for miles, your bound to use the range to your advantage and the extra flight data on the controller is a huge bonus plus the occusyncs stability helps a lot. Also, I can’t speak for the MA, but the Pro is freaking rock solid in the wind. So look into that about the Air if you live in a normally windy area.
IMG_0184.PNG
The Pro is nothing but HORRIBLE in the wind. If it didn't have sport mode, it would be useless in the wind. The Air crushes the Pro in a headwind. Might want to watch this great video Ian did recently comparing them side by side.

View attachment 37835
The Pro is nothing but HORRIBLE in the wind. If it didn't have sport mode, it would be useless in the wind. The Air crushes the Pro in a headwind. Might want to watch this great video Ian did recently comparing them side by side.

This is one I haven’t seen I’ll admit, I’ll give it a watch. But so far I’m happy with my pro in the wind, if it’s super windy I don’t intend fly super far or super fast, more concerned about stability. But as I stated I haven’t seen the MA in action besides videos.

The Mavic Air is basically an upgrade to the spark.

that's the problem. it isn't much of an upgrade for the money. it's a no-man's land of partial capability increases you can't really use.

it doesn't have the range of the MP, the camera isn't that much better (although the gimbal design is more robust) and the rear sensor and gesture controls are not something I have any use for. the problem is the lack of Occusync, which is fundamental and cannot be overcome.

The Pro is nothing but HORRIBLE in the wind.

I have not flown an Air, but my MP is highly capable in wind, in GPS or Sport mode. I've flown it in 45km/h gusts aloft with as much camera stability as I could ask for. and that was very much the exception to the rule.

I find it funny that the Pro guys all say how much better the range is. Two different posts here said "I've flown over a MILE with my Pro."

I've flown over 3 miles with my Air, and fly 2 miles every week with my Air. One mile is nothing for the Air. So unless you've ever actually gone farther then the Air can go, your argument that the Pro can go further is a mute point, since you've never actually done it anyway.
Here's the biggest problem with buying a Pro right now. The day the Pro 2 comes out, the Pro 1 will be worth half what it is today. I already see Pros selling for $600 this week. If your planning on getting the P2 when it comes out, you'd better sell your Pro now while you can still recover something from it because the day the P2 is released, you won't be able to give them away.

Several problems with your assertions.

- It is a known fact that ocusync is a more reliable connection than wifi and allows for a longer transmission.
- There is absolutely no indication from DJI that a Mavic Pro 2 is forthcoming. Not to mention the term "Mavic Pro 2" did not even come from DJI.
- If DJI do come out with some kind of new upgraded fordable drone it will most likely effect the resale price of both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air because we all know that people tend to want to buy the newest and greatest.

I don't say this because I'm pro MP over MA. I think both are excellent flyers, but facts are facts.

Reactions: ksmusa and caspian
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc