DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably a stupid question about height but here goes.....

The drone doesn't know the height above the ground so it cannot be saved in the logs. However the track/position is saved so your height AGL can fairly easily be worked out later using maps.

Reactions: old man mavic
The drone doesn't know the height above the ground so it cannot be saved in the logs. However the track/position is saved so your height AGL can fairly easily be worked out later using maps.
so the answer is yes . so i suppose those same logs could be used by the pilot to prove he didnt go above 400AGL very interesting, could they be used in a court of law as evidence i wonder

Reactions: Drgnfli
so the answer is yes . so i suppose those same logs could be used by the pilot to prove he didnt go above 400AGL very interesting, could they be used in a court of law as evidence i wonder

I am sure they could, however the only situation I could think of that happening would be if you caused a serious incident and were apprehended. They would then possibly analyse your flight log for things they could charge you with. I think we are a long way from roving police squads spotting drones flying above 400ft and arresting operators.

I am sure they could, however the only situation I could think of that happening would be if you caused a serious incident and were apprehended. They would then possibly analyse your flight log for things they could charge you with. I think we are a long way from roving police squads spotting drones flying above 400ft and arresting operators.
yes i agree these are just hypothetical questions but in light of the new regs coming this year i wanted to raise them out of interest

Please tell me if I fly off top of Snowdon at 3,000FT /1000 mtrs aproximatly and fly to 400ft is this still in a controllered Air Space ? and how dangerous is this as iv seen RAF Jets at lower altitudes ,Or is the limit 400ft above sea level. [1st post]

Cor this is the question that never dies. Although I must say this is very unclear in the current version of the "Drone Code" since it just shows a flat surface.

Anyway it's 400ft above the ground level wherever the drone happens to be. So yes you can fly 400ft above the top of Snowdon.

In Wales and the Lake District where the RAF do a lot of low flying, you need to be cautious and land if there are aircraft around - although they do not often fly within 400ft of the ground.

The CAA website explains it better here: Recreational drone flights | UK Civil Aviation Authority

400ftrule.png

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Cor this is the question that never dies. Although I must say this is very unclear in the current version of the "Drone Code" since it just shows a flat surface.

Anyway it's 400ft above the ground level wherever the drone happens to be. So yes you can fly 400ft above the top of Snowdon.

In Wales and the Lake District where the RAF do a lot of low flying, you need to be cautious and land if there are aircraft around - although they do not often fly within 400ft of the ground.

The CAA website explains it better here: Recreational drone flights | UK Civil Aviation Authority

400ftrule.png
in the mach loop in Snowdonia they do fly very low and are often below the tops of the mountains as they fly through .this is restricted air space, no drone flying there, but you can take pics and video if you are on the ground

I visit the lakes a lot where drones can mostly be flown (NT permitting) and they fly very low there, probably over 400ft agl in the valleys but when crossing cols and ridges much lower. Very alarming when walking.

perhaps the settings for our drones for use in the UK are different to yours in the USA but if i try to alter the max height in the app with it all connected up as you say then it just reverts back to 120 mtrs
It must be different in Australia too, I have bee able to change the max height to 500M & it will keep that setting.

With regard to flying over a cliff & then the height showing as a negative value when you go below the take off point, the first time I did that I really freaked out. The main problem with this is you no longer know what your actual height above ground is & when you're looking down at the Mavic it's hard to judge.

Reactions: pvs
It must be different in Australia too, I have bee able to change the max height to 500M & it will keep that setting.
It works exactly the same way all over the world.
The main problem with this is you no longer know what your actual height above ground is & when you're looking down at the Mavic it's hard to judge.
The only time you know your height above the ground is when you fly in flat country.

Our Mavic's are limited to 400ft/121mtrs...
I guess this is always gauged as the vertical distance away from the the controller/transmitter at the point of take off?
Cheers
Our Mavic's are limited to 400ft/121mtrs...
I guess this is always gauged as the vertical distance away from the the controller/transmitter at the point of take off?
Cheers
Top of Sky scraper, or a cliff, it doesn't matter, It's AGL, "above ground level", and Sea Level if over the ocean, or it's illegal, except for temporary emergencies. Lake or some "Seas" are not MSL or mean sea level. The Oceans on the other hand, are relatively equal all over the earth. But a Sea or Lake can be above or below sea level. The surface of which, would be counted as Ground Level if flying over it. That could make for some interesting scenerios! Parts of Denmark, and the Netherlands! Flying across the sea walls...
It's interesting to note that, if you fly off from a cliff or skyscraper/ tower top etc., you can remain 399 ft. away to the side or above, and be in legal zone. Buildings have a 400' border all around them, that continues to the top, where if safe, is legal to fly in. Also, if the tower is 800' tall, and you are a commercial drone pilot, in the USA, your top elevation above ground can be 1200'. 800' tower height + 400' directly above the Tower.

It's interesting to note that, if you fly off from a cliff or skyscraper/ tower top etc., you can remain 399 ft. away to the side or above, and be in legal zone. Buildings have a 400' border all around them, that continues to the top, where if safe, is legal to fly in.

This may be true in USA but is certainly not true in other countries. If describing rules like this it's best to say where you are from to avoid misleading those in other parts of the world,

Reactions: Kilrah
I guess that the undercarriage avoidance sensors also detect water the same as the do land or are they not that advanced?
Last week someone posted a video in which the drone was over water but refused to land because it was “unsuitable” I think. Then a wave overtook the camera, giving some underwater footage, but the drone somehow stayed in the air.

I guess that the undercarriage avoidance sensors also detect water the same as the do land or are they not that advanced?

Seems I have read on this forum that the underside sensors are not perfect when it comes to detecting over water. Since I've read that somewhere, I don't trust my Mavy low over water very much - it is not worth the risk...

I suggest trying VPS over a treadmill with distinguishable markings on the track.
Or fly 5-10' over a rug outdoors and slowly pull the rug.
Your first exhibit actually tends to support my statement as it focuses on VPS even with GPS. Your 2nd one is inapplicable since it focuses on GPS loss.
Really it doesn't really make it clear either way, only that it's best used indoors where you're likely to not have good GPS.

LOL! that would be an interesting experiment with the treadmill & the rug...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929