DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably silly landing/take off question

Badtoro

Reactions
So I mostly use my Mavic 2 to herd sheep, at times they often go at their own pace. If I land my M2 on a rock (not near me), I presume I can take off again just fine? Also, would this save much battery power compared to hovering or moving slowly behind the flock?

Thanks ???

So I mostly use my Mavic 2 to herd sheep, at times they often go at their own pace. If I land my M2 on a rock (not near me), I presume I can take off again just fine? Also, would this save much battery power compared to hovering or moving slowly behind the flock?

Thanks ???

Touch and go is fine. I once landed mine on a building a mile away and took off again no problem. I'd imagine you would save battery that way...

Reactions: Badtoro
The answer is yes. Be careful and make sure you have a strong signal and don’t get behind something that will block the signal significantly. Also, I would be careful selecting a landing point that is level and clear of debris. To steal a message on some side auto mirrors - Caution, objects in the camera may be different than they appear. Additional caution, it will reset your altitude and home point.

You probably will save some battery depending on how long it is on the ground.

BTW - no such thing as a silly or stupid question on this forum.

I agree with everything that has been said just wanted to add some numeric data that it takes about 1.5 amps to have the mavic on but in standby on the ground but usually in the neighborhood of 10 amps to hover with no wind. With wind it obviously could be more

I would be cautious landing somewhere you didn’t see first. There might be dirt or sand or blades of grass or twigs that might interfere with your aircraft.

Perhaps you should look into a herding dog. They range from small like a welsh corgi to bigger like Australian cattle dogs. Lots of good choices out there.

Re: herding dog... No return to home issues, much longer battery power, sticks and blades of grass not an issue, no dropped / lost signal problems. Hard to get the dog to hover at 100 feet, though...LOL!

one other thing to think about is that many rocks contain Iron and may have an effect on your compass. This may cause a compass error resulting in a fly away or maybe not being able to take off at all. Just something else to consider.

one other thing to think about is that many rocks contain Iron and may have an effect on your compass. This may cause a compass error resulting in a fly away or maybe not being able to take off at all. Just something else to consider.

You know what' I've been getting some funny IMU calibration messages. On several occasions I've picked up the drone and placed it in another take off spot and all was well. This I think is the biggest issue yet.

On the dog issue, got one. The terrain is the issue. Relatively flat but with lots of lakes, rivers, marshes as obstacles. A distance as the crow flies can be multiplied several times walking and more again by atv, for example.

How about the first time you walk it and select appropriate landing spots and mark them so they can be seen clearly from the air and then test them in advance.

Later while your drone is “resting” I hope the sheep don’t get too curious and decide that it might be edible. I have had goats in the past and with them it would be a definite risk.

That was my plan ? With the testing added in thanks to this thread, maybe it wasn't a silly question after all.

That was my plan ? With the testing added in thanks to this thread, maybe it wasn't a silly question after all.
Nope. I wondered the same thing... Of course, I just went out to an open field and tried it a few times but everyone is different.

maybe you could get some of those old cable spools that electric companies get rid of... put them where you want to land - they are very big and are up off the ground. You might use Litchi to save a waypoint of them and load up your next resting place and just hit play and let it fly and hover a few feet above it... then land.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
maybe you could get some of those old cable spools that electric companies get rid of... put them where you want to land - they are very big and are up off the ground. You might use Litchi to save a waypoint of them and load up your next resting place and just hit play and let it fly and hover a few feet above it... then land.
Jake just said what I was going to suggest. At my mates place we have built square little “drone pads” (plain wooden board painted orange) onto the corners of many paddock fences and even down by his water feeder. Then it’s easy to ID, keep clear and it’s a known factor to land on. If you needed to you could always place stakes in ground and the landing zones on the more popular places you need. But like the others have said above depends how long you want to hover /land for how much battery you would save. Enjoy the extra uses of the drones.

Reactions: ff22

Unfortunately where I fly has a lot of regulations preventing a lot of stuff, including placing anything there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky