DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop covers - surely hugely advantageous?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all,

Please can I ask for the negatives of using prop covers? It seems obviously an advantage but.......

Extra weight and decreased flight time are the big ones. I’ve never used mine, I think they are only needed when flying inside.

Edit: I just reread your post and you said prop covers. Do you mean like prop guards or something else?

They're a huge advantage if you're flying somewhere confined where you might crash into something such as indoors.
If you're NOT doing that they have huge disadvantages such as increased weight, drag, less efficient propulsion so lower endurance, less resistance to winds and so on.

Reactions: Dbez1 and nhgill960
Are you talking about covers for protection whilst not in use or guards for protection whilst flying.
If the latter then they trigger payload mode which from memory limits range and height, they also probably increases it susceptability to wind.

they are great for indoor use, or flying in woodland between the trees as they allow the drone to make contact with a tree trunk and just bounce off ,and they save the props from damage as well ,they do have a limiting affect on flight time, and the height and distance you can go from the home point, but in close up flying in tight spaces they are great till you get more skilled at flying in such conditions,just as an aside if you do fly in woodland then set your loss of signal mode to hover so the drone does not climb to its return to home height and end up in the branches

Reactions: Dbez1
Literally just received mine for my Mavic Mini and what a difference to flying around indoors!
Makes a huge difference and taken the worry away about hitting into things...now if they could do something about the downdraft...the amount of dust that was created!!

• Haha
Reactions: A.O.
Literally just received mine for my Mavic Mini and what a difference to flying around indoors!
Makes a huge difference and taken the worry away about hitting into things...now if they could do something about the downdraft...the amount of dust that was created!!
Ever heard of a vacuum cleaner??? ? ?

A prop cover, fits over a prop to protect it when not in use. A prop guard, extends past the arc of the prop to protect it from striking something while in use. The OP needs to come back and clarify what actually means before we see anymore speculation here, without knowing what is really being asked.

The drone will flutter like a butterfly in wind with prop guards...Otherwise probably a good idea in close quarters

Hi all,

Please can I ask for the negatives of using prop covers? It seems obviously an advantage but.......
Two drones over 3 years, never used them yet. They were like training wheels which I never used. I cannot think of any inside flying I would ever do.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat