DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards?

What kind of indoor quadcopter events are your troop participating in? Sounds fun!

It started out as just flying little Syma quads through different obstacles, but now people bring bigger quads as well. It's mostly a recruiting event to get the Cubs Scouts to see some of the cool stuff the troop does. Last year, I brought my P3P and let the kids take turns with it. They basically just took off, flew around in a loop, took some pictures of themselves, and landed. It'll be fun to add the Mavic to the mix. But since prop guards are required (even for the Symas), I was wondering how I was going to make the Mavic work. Those goofy looking guards would be good enough to fit the bill though.

Looks like several people are selling prop guards in this design for the Mavic. Has anyone tried them? The only reason I would like to have them is that sometimes I participate in indoor quadcopter events with the Boy Scouts and the venue requires prop guards.

https://www.amazon.com/Bestmaple-Pr...447022&sr=8-10&keywords=mavic+pro+prop+guards

I ordered them for flying in the woods, they can push away small stuff that one cant see in FPV...
Did not get them yet.

Ender

Have you seen the videos of Mavics being flow into trees and building and then recovering? It appears that it has some amazing abilities to right itself and keep on flying. Yes one would like to avoid testing those limits , but its nice to know that when it hit something it does not just fall like a brick. The weight of the Mavic obviously has alot to do with that.

The Mavik might recover from this and still fly but the props maybe fairly shredded on closer inspection. From personnel experience: If you fly into branches that are 3-5mm it will damage the rotors that make contact. And: do not fly with damaged props as they may disintegrate and send parts flying.

The Mavik might recover from this and still fly but the props maybe fairly shredded on closer inspection. personnel experience: If you fly into branches that are 3-5mm it will damage the rotors that make contact. And: do not fly with damaged props as they may disintegrate and send parts flying.

Absolutely! The idea is not to slam into the ground and have enough upwards propulsion to fly down safely and then snap on new props.

I got these prop guards, have used them once and removed them. Though they will certainly protect the props, they are heavy relative to the mass of the Mavic and they seem to lower the aircraft's wind tolerance. I was getting wind warnings when the tree tops were moving only slightly, conditions I had flown in previously and seen no warnings. Other than that they seem to be well made and fit tightly. Each guard is two pieces. On piece fits around the motor and over the arm. The other piece fits down on the first and is connected by two plastic clips. They appear to made of standard polystyrene and are therefore not likely to tolerate any significant impacts but that is pure speculation on my part.

Prop Guards small.jpg

Reactions: RobP62 and kmaluo
I got these prop guards, have used them once and removed them. Though they will certainly protect the props, they are heavy relative to the mass of the Mavic and they seem to lower the aircraft's wind tolerance. I was getting wind warnings when the tree tops were moving only slightly, conditions I had flown in previously and seen no warnings. Other than that they seem to be well made and fit tightly. Each guard is two pieces. On piece fits around the motor and over the arm. The other piece fits down on the first and is connected by two plastic clips. They appear to made of standard polystyrene and are therefore not likely to tolerate any significant impacts but that is pure speculation on my part.

View attachment 3431
I ordered these as well. I would not use them outdoors but they are awesome indoors. Anyone needing significant indoor flying I would highly recommend.

I've seen props guards on youtube for mavic. they demoed indoors and they work great for bumping into walls and stuff but I'm not sold on em'.

I've seen props guards on youtube for mavic. they demoed indoors and they work great for bumping into walls and stuff but I'm not sold on em'.
Go look in media folder. I just posted two photos. If you need to fly indoors, you should "get sold on em." Haha. Only $16. Cheap insurance in my mind and takes away most of the stress of indoor flying.

lots of places selling them now. Got a set on eBay for under $7. My only worry is weight and aerodynamics on those guys, otherwise I'd say thumbs up. BTW I got the white ones so they look more hidden when in the air. I think a Mavic with gray prop guards looks ugly. I'd rather not see them but know they are there to protect the props. Not really hip on the attachment method seems like will take a few minutes to take off and put on.

Prop guards are like training wheels. Do you really need them? No. Do they make you feel safer? Yes. DJI added a Prop Guard setting to DJI Go 4. I assume that setting actually compensate for the added weight?

Prop guards are like training wheels. Do you really need them? No. Do they make you feel safer? Yes. DJI added a Prop Guard setting to DJI Go 4. I assume that setting actually compensate for the added weight?
Uh, they are not like training wheels if you will be using the Mavic inside in tight spaces. They are almost mandatory and don't negatively affect flight characteristics in that environment.

iirc it said flights times are down to 12 mins?
I'm sure that's on outside forward flight at speed. Indoor, where I believe they are designed to be used, I haven't noticed a battery issue. But I've never needed to run one for more than a few minutes.

Has anybody experienced death wobble using them? What about changes in prop wash?

Indoors they aren't a problem at all. Outside they seem heavy and seem to interfere with the normal airflow. But I haven't used much outside. No real need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag