DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper exposure for D Log M (ETTR)?

Flyguy95r

Reactions
On all Log profiles I am a big advocate for ETTR (Exposing to the right) which essentially is exposing 1 or 2 stops above EV-0 when filming in Log to get the cleanest image possible for color grading in post.

I do this in S-log (Sony), C-Log (Canon), V-Log (Panasonic), and on the P4P in D-Log.

I’ve noticed a descreprency in dynamic range between the M2P and P4P, while I would normally expose D Log on the phantom at EV+2 to amazing results I’ve noticed that the M2P totally blows out a ton of highlights when exposed that high. Zebras (over exposure warning) would barely be creeping in at +2 on the Phantom but on the M2P zebras start showing up much sooner at about +1 and even then can get some nasty highlight clipping.

Has anyone here experimented with different exposures on DLog M to see what a good EV target is?
(And before you say “DJI says not to over expose D-LOG”.... all camera companies say that, I’m talking about real world experience please ;))

Edit: something I just now realized that I haven’t taken into account is that the ISO on the phantom 4 is locked at 500 when filming in DLog and I’ve only ever shot DLog M on the M2P at ISO 100 when experimenting . I may need to raise the ISO to 400 (cringe :confused:) and see if I can inch out a little more dynamic range there with the M2P.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ang.mcleod