DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proposing to cover liability and hull insurance for DSAR pilots who fly real-world SAR missions

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
While NM (and other states) cover insurance for SAR flights, not everyone does. After we have our 501c3 in place, we're proposing to cover liability and hull insurance for DSAR pilots who fly real-world SAR missions. Here are the draft specifics we're thinking of:
  • insurance would be under a group policy at no cost to pilots (paid for by DSAR)
  • provide $1 million liability and hull insurance for DSAR pilots while flying real-world SAR operations
  • covers only flights for real-world SAR; no other flights are covered
  • covers flight within the borders of the United States and 12 nm out to sea from the coasts
  • pilots must be 107 certified and on the DSAR registry
  • applicable only to formal SAR operations under the authority of a declared Incident Commander (i.e., does not cover self-declared SARs or neighborhood-type searches)
  • flights must be under the authorization of the Incident Commander
  • flights must be in accordance with existing rules or incident-specific waivers governing drone activity
We will run this through Skywatch and see what they say. Comments?

So it’s the entire drone, perhaps less props, that is covered without deductible? Sorry to be pedantic.

My Hull Insurance covers everything "onboard" of the aircraft including camera/sensors.

@RCdancer you may want to ask about different sensor/payloads. It's one thing to cover a Mavic Pro Platinum (~$900) compared to a Matrice 210 with thermal and RGB cameras attached (~$25K). That's are potentially one of the most extreme cases either way.

I think our deductible is 10% IIRC.

My Hull Insurance covers everything "onboard" of the aircraft including camera/sensors.

@RCdancer you may want to ask about different sensor/payloads. It's one thing to cover a Mavic Pro Platinum (~$900) compared to a Matrice 210 with thermal and RGB cameras attached (~$25K). That's are potentially one of the most extreme cases either way.

I think our deductible is 10% IIRC.

We will have that discussion with the insurance company.

Reactions: BigAl07
I like the proposal and think it's worth asking an insurance company on the specifics. Question: in order to file a claim please clarify with the Rep if the drone would have to be recovered (lake, river, ocean loss) in order to qualify or if a statement from the IC would suffice?

I like the proposal and think it's worth asking an insurance company on the specifics. Question: in order to file a claim please clarify with the Rep if the drone would have to be recovered (lake, river, ocean loss) in order to qualify or if a statement from the IC would suffice?

With Skwatch, the drone carcass does not have to be provided. I have an existing policy with them covering hull insurance.

Reactions: Kneebeard
I reached out to Skywatch with this and asked what's possible. After my initial contact, they indicated interest; I'm awaiting their response. If we can make this happen, this will be one of the first things DSAR implements after our registration is complete as a nonprofit ..... provided we can get some funding.

I reached out to Skywatch with this and asked what's possible. After my initial contact, they indicated interest; I'm awaiting their response. If we can make this happen, this will be one of the first things DSAR implements after our registration is complete as a nonprofit ..... provided we can get some funding.

Coming from a Real-Life sUAS SAR operator I want to say how much this means. Many times the IC will require liability because their policy won't cover you if you're not listed as an official team member. The fact this might include HULL coverage means a LOT. We carry both already but it's great to know the ORG is stepping up trying to cover it's members the best it can.

Sounds good to me

It appears that neither Verifly nor Skywatch wants to touch group insurance for DSAR pilots flying real-world SAR. Both recommended the use of their respective apps to secure coverage on-the-fly. Thus, we are considering reimbursement for the coverage to our pilots after they undertake real-world SAR. Of course we need to first secure funding after incorporation as a 501c3 is complete (paperwork is in the hands of the state and awaiting return to LegalZoom.)

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman