DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pulled Aside by Security at Heathrow

The checked luggage is not pressurized like the cabin is. Because the atmospheric pressure is lower at the significantly higher altitudes, the pressure exerted on the molecules inside the battery is lower, which in turn means that they are more free to move around. More movement=higher temperature=possibility of the battery catching fire. Furthermore, there is no getting to the fire by the crew.
That actually depends on which cargo hold the baggage is in, many cargo holds are pressurized and air conditioned for the transport of animals.

Good to see they weren't putting you in handcuffs. I've never flown with my mavic, but if I did, I would have thought taking the complete aircraft as carrying-on with the props would be be frowned upon. Power up, spin it up to max rpm in sports mode and you have a pretty scary hand weapon. It would certainly do more damage than the kids safety scissors airport security confiscated from my 5 year old's bag.

If I did fly, my plan is to check the props and carry-on the aircraft and batteries. After reading the above, I think I will remove the batteries from their lipo bags at the x-ray scanning.

That actually depends on which cargo hold the baggage is in, many cargo holds are pressurized and air conditioned for the transport of animals.

If it’s inside the fuselage and not behind a pressure bulkhead then it’s pressurised. Some aren’t heated though

The checked luggage is not pressurized like the cabin is. Because the atmospheric pressure is lower at the significantly higher altitudes, the pressure exerted on the molecules inside the battery is lower, which in turn means that they are more free to move around. More movement=higher temperature=possibility of the battery catching fire. Furthermore, there is no getting to the fire by the crew.

Completely false. The cargo hold is pressurised (though maybe not heated) to the same as the passenger cabin. In most cases, its just a false floor separating the two.

Think you will have to look really hard to find an aircraft with a cargohold that aint pressurized these days. So thats not the issue.

Not true. The hold is pressurized as well. Common misconception.

ot

if the cargo hold was not pressurised, they could not transport live animals.

the last time I took a plane flight for work, I got an absolutely filthy glare from the x-ray bloke over my backpack with laptop charger, ipad, assorted cables, travel mouse and phone stuff (laptop removed as per policy). the hard Pelikan case I had with me full of network diagnostic kit,who knows how many interface cables/adapters/chargers etc passed without a blink.

Most airliners that I know of have pressurized cargo holds.

Lmao, I watch a lot of Border protection documentaries and the Aussies don't seem that bad.
If you want Stormtoopers, try Ireland, Canada, and the U.S.

My experience has been that Ireland is one of the best. I go there every couple of months and my passengers go right through and same for crew.

Good to see they weren't putting you in handcuffs. I've never flown with my mavic, but if I did, I would have thought taking the complete aircraft as carrying-on with the props would be be frowned upon. Power up, spin it up to max rpm in sports mode and you have a pretty scary hand weapon. It would certainly do more damage than the kids safety scissors airport security confiscated from my 5 year old's bag.

If I did fly, my plan is to check the props and carry-on the aircraft and batteries. After reading the above, I think I will remove the batteries from their lipo bags at the x-ray scanning.
You do realise turning on the RC and AC is not very subtle. When you turn on the RC, people around you would be thinking “what is this guy doing?”. When you unfold the arms, they’ll be unbuckling their seatbelt. Before you could press and hold on the battery’s power button, you’d be tackled to the ground and handcuffed.

I flew out of Heathrow last week enroute back to Australia. My Mavic Pro was in my checked baggage and the spare batteries were in my carry on. Each in a lipo bag with silicon contact caps taped on.

My bag was shunted aside for a physical search. At first the nice lady didn't say why but rummaged around in my stuff for a while. When I asked her what she was looking for she spun the x-ray screen around so I could see it, pointed at the image of the batteries and asked me if I was carrying tasers! The plastic battery case was barely visible but the lipo's wiring and contacts were very obvious and did look suspicious in the picture.

I pointed out the lipo bags and she opened them and I explained what the batteries were. For a while I thought I might lose my batteries but was good and I was allowed to keep them.

An unusual experience but the security team were friendly and helpful. Unlike some of the storm troopers we employ in Australia.

Cheers

Peter
Keep everything in your carry on. I have been to Hawaii and Alaska twice (and internal in Alaska) without an enquiry. I thought carryon was not a good idea at first, but if there is a fire the crew want is where they can put it out, not in the hold

I flew out of Heathrow last week enroute back to Australia. My Mavic Pro was in my checked baggage and the spare batteries were in my carry on. Each in a lipo bag with silicon contact caps taped on.

My bag was shunted aside for a physical search. At first the nice lady didn't say why but rummaged around in my stuff for a while. When I asked her what she was looking for she spun the x-ray screen around so I could see it, pointed at the image of the batteries and asked me if I was carrying tasers! The plastic battery case was barely visible but the lipo's wiring and contacts were very obvious and did look suspicious in the picture.

I pointed out the lipo bags and she opened them and I explained what the batteries were. For a while I thought I might lose my batteries but was good and I was allowed to keep them.

An unusual experience but the security team were friendly and helpful. Unlike some of the storm troopers we employ in Australia.

Cheers

Peter
I just recently returned home from Mauritius and had my with my Mavic Pro with me. I had 3 batteries in my carry-on bag and security were absolutely fine. One in the Mavic and the other 2 in the bag. Before I went through the X-ray control, I told then that I had a drone and I had no issues at all. I think the Mavic's batteries are ok to take more than 2. I have an Inspire as well and you are only allowed to take 2 batteries with you but only the TB47's. You are not allowed to carry any TB48's in checkin or onboard luggage.

Struggling to see any issue here. I fly with a huge amount of DSLR and underwater camera gear including strobes, countless chargers, batteries, spares and drones.
My hand baggage on an X-ray looks terrifying with all the wiring. Half the time i have to empty the bag but its not a problem. Never affected actually flying.

Reactions: colinfowler
Last time I flew, I forgot to take the batteries in my carry-on - I left them in the checked baggage.
Luckily nothing happen :)

True, but overly paranoid security airport security could use the "it's a weapon" as a reason to confiscate it.

You do realise turning on the RC and AC is not very subtle. When you turn on the RC, people around you would be thinking “what is this guy doing?”. When you unfold the arms, they’ll be unbuckling their seatbelt. Before you could press and hold on the battery’s power button, you’d be tackled to the ground and handcuffed.

My experience has been that Ireland is one of the best. I go there every couple of months and my passengers go right through and same for crew.

i have been to Shannon airport more than 50 times with small planes over the last 10 years. Very relaxed little airport. Never once got checked like on Heathrow, JFK, Schiphol etc. Makes one feel welcome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro