DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purple smears on sphere panorama

scro

Reactions
Anyone noticed purple smears on sphere panoramas that have been auto stitched? I've noticed it on a few recent ones of mine and also on ones others have published online. Sample attached

Attachments

• 20221112_214248.jpg
    20221112_214248.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 34
No, have never noticed that.

Did you also enable to save the RAW with the panos? If yes, you can check the origin pictures in the respective folder, whether they show the abberration/banding or if they are introduced with the automatic stitching (not a fan of later).

Theres no noticable aberrations on the originals (dng). I think it's an issue with the auto stitching as the blotches occur on areas nearer the centre of the original frames for the middle row of images. It may be erroneously using data from the very corners of the upper or lower rows of images, though even these areas on the originals don't show noticable purple blotching.

Anomalies such as these are why I do my panorama stitching in Lightroom instead of using the DJI stitched JPEGs.

That's bleaching /infra-red/degradation (whatever you want to call it) of the lens as you've been pointing directly @ the sun over the period of time you've had it

That's bleaching /infra-red/degradation (whatever you want to call it) of the lens as you've been pointing directly @ the sun over the period of time you've had it
That's the first I've ever heard of this phenomenon. Do you have any reliable literature to back it up, and an explanation why it doesn't manifest itself in the very same original files used to make the panorama, nor any other photos taken before or after?

Yes very good but still did not handle some of my coastal problems where stretches of ocean can’t be joined due to lack of detail.
Yeah, of course, there are some computational limitations for areas without any specific patterns to match like ocean, sky, snow, etc., which I think the best software cannot solve without more input from the user. PT GUI (Pro) allows you that whereas Adobe, Microsoft ICE, etc. cannot customise their operations (I use them too, but not with any more complicated pano or wide projection).

I guess, we are going to see some more AI introduced in pano software in the not so far future to help for these problems automatically.

That said, I've not encountered any pano I could not stitch with PT GUI. ;)
If the TO fancy, he can take a look at mighty HUGIN for free.

20220603-PANO0001-3-.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Joe Horn
That's the first I've ever heard of this phenomenon. Do you have any reliable literature to back it up, and an explanation why it doesn't manifest itself in the very same original files used to make the panorama, nor any other photos taken before or after?
I'm mistaken then

Yes very good but still did not handle some of my coastal problems where stretches of ocean can’t be joined due to lack of detail.
I suspect this has more to do with waves moving between images making stitching difficult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11