DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purpose of Drone... Photography

Dougcjohn

Reactions
With the release of the new technology such as the Mavic Air and Typhoon H Plus, the discussions of design, props, etc seem to be focused a lot on portability or flying. Some discussions touch on Designers / Engineers missing the ideal design by not providing folding props or some other feature not complimentary for photography. Which is more towards flying interests and less on ideal photographic design. Thought I’d throw out a different angle in discussion and touch on the primary design of drones... photography and other options to consider for non-photography. Many threads in several DJI & Yuneec forums indicate the Posters are expressing more desire to fly than photograph.

Excluding specialized fields and military, multirotor RC aircraft were designed as a platform for photography. Currently, I’d agree consumer platforms are now more broadly focused including market sales and wider advertisement to appeal to attract new buyers. But that’s been driven by the inherent qualities of designing a stable photography platform. Included in this UAV mass market as a result of micro electronics becoming low cost are “toy drones”, but not part of this discussion.

Originally, the quad, hex, oct platforms were focused on photography. The commercial platforms continue to focus primarily on photography related fields, which trickle technology down to prosumer / retail platforms. The heavy lifting Hex & Oct are also being applied to SAR, cabling or other roles, but still dependent on photography or video within the project. The RC sport flyers continue focused on improving FPV Quads or single rotor collective designs... which have greatly improved too!

With the stable multirotor platforms accepted as standard and easily obtained, perceived expectations have gone from something easy to fly to expectations including ultra portability and quality of photography. This combination is improving, but won’t obtain the ideal in any of the 3 in single platform; paticually photography. Kinda like expecting a cell phone camera to obtain same quality of DSLR RAW images; until a cell phone can intigrate a large sensor, isn’t going to happen. If cell phones ever got close, that technology would be applied to larger format DSLR and the bench marks would be at a new level.

As platform form factors miniaturize, the commercial low-lift models become more prosumer class, separated by optional components instead of different models. The compact folding designs are awesome, as development continues it will be driven by photography. Getting the camera sensors, high ISO, wider base of lenses, geo mapping, fps, Mbps, zoom, interchangeable lenses, GPS and grid programs available on commercial models.

Each generation improves in producing an ultra stable, geo fenced, logging, intelligent multi rotor with exceptional cameras. For the New Buyer to purchase as a photography platform, they are getting more than they imagined possible!

For the group purchasing primarily as sport / entertainment aircraft may be impressed on stability, maneuverability, speed and overall performance. After a short time will essentially find the aircraft non-challenging... boring.

This is where media has over popularized the photography drones. These buyers should look towards the less advertised but still technological high FPV Drones or even better, the Single Rotor Collective Helicopters.

FPV Drones maintain the high stability performance, increased agility, higher speed to photo drones and are designed for both open visual or streaming video goggles (limitations where can be legally flown). Designed for flying, entertainment, sport, racing and the closest to video game environment while outside, the FPV Drones. Example of FPV Drone: https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Goggl...ller-Quadcopter/dp/B01M027X8I?tag=uavcoach-20

For those seeking personal challenge, increased Pilot skills, and entertainment that gives a feeling of accomplishment after a flight. The single rotor collective chopper is the aircraft to examine. Before drones, RC flying involved purchasing a radio, transmitter, receiver, servos and required a skill to configure to fly. Back in the day of RC radios, servos, and nitro fuel; the chopper was the elite craft to learn & master. The analog systems & mechanical gyros helped but there were always more crash than flight... an experienced pilot was a patient pilot slowly gaining skills. Jump forward to present time; electronics, batteries, digital / intelligent radios, electric helicopters have greatly improved the configuration and controllability of RC Helli’s. To clarify, not speaking of dual counter rotating rotor toys or fixed collective rotors. Visit a hobby store or read up on the RC choppers, a popular brand is Blade, an example of small collective bird Nano CPS: Blade - #1 By Design.

This post became longer than intended... quick conclusion:
If you’re looking to purchase or owning a drone to “Fly” more than photography or maybe both... got into photo drones for the love of flying and at times would enjoy the challenge of flying; Look at the other flying options. Personally, if an inexperienced Flyer can buy, unwrap a UAV aircraft and stable fly on 1st battery, the skills required have been greatly assisted by electronics. Adding to pilot skills, another benifit to RC Helli’s is the gained skills in piloting and controlled reactions learned flying an aircraft that isn’t nearly as stable as a drone.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from, but you know that we (people) don't quite look at things that logically. Why are SUVs and particularly sport or performance SUVs dominating the auto market? Because we want a vehicle that is comfortable to transport my family of 5, be able to haul gear and such when I need it, AND perform like a sports car when I'm in the mood for a thrill. In the past, that would have taken three separate vehicles but the auto makers are trying to give the customers what they want -- their cake and eat it too.

Drone enthusiasts are saying, we want it all with few to no compromises. Foldable drone for max portability, dynamic performance for the thrill, oh and yes a great camera for my photos and videos.

I like your points but I don't see the conversation changing. Whichever drone make delivers the most portable, fun to fly platform with a killer camera wins the lion share of the market.

With the release of the new technology such as the Mavic Air and Typhoon H Plus, the discussions of design, props, etc seem to be focused a lot on portability or flying. Some discussions touch on Designers / Engineers missing the ideal design by not providing folding props or some other feature not complimentary for photography. Which is more towards flying interests and less on ideal photographic design. Thought I’d throw out a different angle in discussion and touch on the primary design of drones... photography and other options to consider for non-photography. Many threads in several DJI & Yuneec forums indicate the Posters are expressing more desire to fly than photograph.

Excluding specialized fields and military, multirotor RC aircraft were designed as a platform for photography. Currently, I’d agree consumer platforms are now more broadly focused including market sales and wider advertisement to appeal to attract new buyers. But that’s been driven by the inherent qualities of designing a stable photography platform. Included in this UAV mass market as a result of micro electronics becoming low cost are “toy drones”, but not part of this discussion.

Originally, the quad, hex, oct platforms were focused on photography. The commercial platforms continue to focus primarily on photography related fields, which trickle technology down to prosumer / retail platforms. The heavy lifting Hex & Oct are also being applied to SAR, cabling or other roles, but still dependent on photography or video within the project. The RC sport flyers continue focused on improving FPV Quads or single rotor collective designs... which have greatly improved too!

With the stable multirotor platforms accepted as standard and easily obtained, perceived expectations have gone from something easy to fly to expectations including ultra portability and quality of photography. This combination is improving, but won’t obtain the ideal in any of the 3 in single platform; paticually photography. Kinda like expecting a cell phone camera to obtain same quality of DSLR RAW images; until a cell phone can intigrate a large sensor, isn’t going to happen. If cell phones ever got close, that technology would be applied to larger format DSLR and the bench marks would be at a new level.

As platform form factors miniaturize, the commercial low-lift models become more prosumer class, separated by optional components instead of different models. The compact folding designs are awesome, as development continues it will be driven by photography. Getting the camera sensors, high ISO, wider base of lenses, geo mapping, fps, Mbps, zoom, interchangeable lenses, GPS and grid programs available on commercial models.

Each generation improves in producing an ultra stable, geo fenced, logging, intelligent multi rotor with exceptional cameras. For the New Buyer to purchase as a photography platform, they are getting more than they imagined possible!

For the group purchasing primarily as sport / entertainment aircraft may be impressed on stability, maneuverability, speed and overall performance. After a short time will essentially find the aircraft non-challenging... boring.

This is where media has over popularized the photography drones. These buyers should look towards the less advertised but still technological high FPV Drones or even better, the Single Rotor Collective Helicopters.

FPV Drones maintain the high stability performance, increased agility, higher speed to photo drones and are designed for both open visual or streaming video goggles (limitations where can be legally flown). Designed for flying, entertainment, sport, racing and the closest to video game environment while outside, the FPV Drones. Example of FPV Drone: https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Goggl...ller-Quadcopter/dp/B01M027X8I?tag=uavcoach-20

For those seeking personal challenge, increased Pilot skills, and entertainment that gives a feeling of accomplishment after a flight. The single rotor collective chopper is the aircraft to examine. Before drones, RC flying involved purchasing a radio, transmitter, receiver, servos and required a skill to configure to fly. Back in the day of RC radios, servos, and nitro fuel; the chopper was the elite craft to learn & master. The analog systems & mechanical gyros helped but there were always more crash than flight... an experienced pilot was a patient pilot slowly gaining skills. Jump forward to present time; electronics, batteries, digital / intelligent radios, electric helicopters have greatly improved the configuration and controllability of RC Helli’s. To clarify, not speaking of dual counter rotating rotor toys or fixed collective rotors. Visit a hobby store or read up on the RC choppers, a popular brand is Blade, an example of small collective bird Nano CPS: Blade - #1 By Design.

This post became longer than intended... quick conclusion:
If you’re looking to purchase or owning a drone to “Fly” more than photography or maybe both... got into photo drones for the love of flying and at times would enjoy the challenge of flying; Look at the other flying options. Personally, if an inexperienced Flyer can buy, unwrap a UAV aircraft and stable fly on 1st battery, the skills required have been greatly assisted by electronics. Adding to pilot skills, another benifit to RC Helli’s is the gained skills in piloting and controlled reactions learned flying an aircraft that isn’t nearly as stable as a drone.
Understand your point, but I was tired of the build, fly, crash, repeat nature, so I have more fun now flying with a stable AC. Every time I go to fly I have a plan, like do figure 8s or fly by with camera centered, etc. So I challenge by making the technology assisted flight "perfect".

I understand where you are coming from, but you know that we (people) don't quite look at things that logically. Why are SUVs and particularly sport or performance SUVs dominating the auto market? Because we want a vehicle that is comfortable to transport my family of 5, be able to haul gear and such when I need it, AND perform like a sports car when I'm in the mood for a thrill. In the past, that would have taken three separate vehicles but the auto makers are trying to give the customers what they want -- their cake and eat it too.

Drone enthusiasts are saying, we want it all with few to no compromises. Foldable drone for max portability, dynamic performance for the thrill, oh and yes a great camera for my photos and videos.

I like your points but I don't see the conversation changing. Whichever drone make delivers the most portable, fun to fly platform with a killer camera wins the lion share of the market.

Totally agree with you on the share of the market to the drones, as with most things the easiest path wins the majority in present time. Plus, the technology is outstanding! Within that massive group, most fly with confidence on the drone, never experiencing the challenges and rewards flying a RC Heli that requires acquired skills.

Was throwing out a thought to those that hum along (drone... consistent hum) in flight wishing for a challenge when not needing the camera. When I fly my MP, I normally lift off in sport mode with a tight fast pirouette, or a 45 angle slow spin decent to LZ to entertain the flying. I personally got out of RC Heli's 20+ years ago...flew 60's & 30's, wasn't a good pilot in comparison to regular field jockeys. But recently re-discovered the electric versions and the improvements... flying is a outstanding blast, after a few 10 minute flights I'm needing to take a break... it's a fun draining challenge! In comparison to your analogy, if you had the chance to climb into a 12 speed formula every now & then to break the daily rhythm, the SUV wouldn't feel so sporty. I enjoy all my drones, really enjoy capturing that special photo, but also look forward to the thrill of the RC Heli.

Understand your point, but I was tired of the build, fly, crash, repeat nature, so I have more fun now flying with a stable AC. Every time I go to fly I have a plan, like do figure 8s or fly by with camera centered, etc. So I challenge by making the technology assisted flight "perfect".
If it's been awhile, try the new ones. They have a mode option on some models & supporting radios that provide enhanced controlled mode, basically slows down the quickness and the reaction inertia... still not near drones but better than the out of control gyro days!

Reactions: dbyantis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1