DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quadruple your photo resolution in Photoshop

FASTFJR: Please take a look at the article (the link in my original post) by Eric Chan. This does work to improve small pixel count images. I've now had the chance to test it in Camera Raw in Photoshop on small photos (e.g. from cell phones). It isn't necessary for images taken with my 7K pixel dimension Nikon D800, or even higher, the D850, or Canon's top of the line DSLR's. I totally agree that "uprezzing" a 50 dpi image to 300dpi or higher for printing won't work.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro almost 2 years ago. I am a retired commercial photographer who owned a studio in Mpls. for 32 years. Image quality is more than pixel count. A image from a $1600. camera is going to better than a $400. camera. Nothing substitutes for a well composed, well exposed image. Think of the old saying GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. If you capsure an image that is over/under exposed, back lit and out of focus, “up resing” isn’t going to help. I have used Adobe Photoshop as my default image editor for 22 years. It’s a wonderful tool. But don’t expect to fix your serious mistakes with it. You get what you pay for!
MN.MavicFlyer
I totally agree. Up resing a poor image (e.g. composition, exposure) isn't going to turn lead into gold.

I used On1 Resize many years ago for one image I wanted to print very large. Worked well, but I don't use this sort of thing often enough to justify a big investment. I'll have to try out the Photoshop version since I have the CC Photographers subscription and see how it does. Wife and I have been talking about getting some very large (4' wide) metal prints done of some of our pics.

On a good quality 300 dpi starting image the super resolution does a good job. Of the starting image is low res and not correctly sharpened and full of noise or both the result will suffer. The images are a tad softer but most of that can be recovered with a good sharpening software. File size is 2x original.
Topaz gigapixel does a slightly better job to my eyes but it’s 10 to 15 x slower. Especially on a Mac.

Paul C

I've used this method on Giga and Photoshop for years. Overall it works but don't expect miracles. For photoshop, assign the process to actions and save it. Only takes me a couple clicks and then automation on PS takes over.

I played around with this and I don't think it's nearly as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I tried it on several vastly different photos from 3 different cameras. Oh well, I suppose it can only get better from here.

I recommend that everyone that loves Adobe get the Classic Light Room and 2019 CC retail version developer edition. its a lifetime license key and Registers with Adobe and comes with Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Premiere and Adobe Light Room the only catch is you have to allow Adobe to record any Errors that your computer has with the Software .

If you can get past the Privacy issue , you can save a lot of money and this new Feature is also being added to the Classic Light Room to expand picture size.

I think they are sold out of the mac but i have seen some windows version still available
I have been using it since 2017 and its been flawless and recently it updated to 2019 cc.

Apple has something similar for Final Cut X - developer editions but you need to be
registered as an apple developer a cost of $1000 but give you developer software for life.

After 2019 Adobe no longer offers a 2020 Developer package.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on water.

Great suggestion. Can you suggest a vendor who offers CC 2019? Thanks.

While I don't "LOVE ADOBE" I am used to using it and comfortable with it. I am not familiar with the version you mentioned, but does it come with all of the updates as they are released? I continue to use the $29.00 a month full suite which gives me Photoshop with all of the most current updates as they are developed, and well as Lightroom Classic which is a critical need for my timelapse program (LRLightroom5). In addition, I get Premiere, which is my go-to video editor and occasionally I do use After Effects for stabilization. I am also happy to get PDF which allows me to create, alter, edit, and sign PDF documents.

Great suggestion. Can you suggest a vendor who offers CC 2019? Thanks.
Topaz Labs has some great software that is not -SUBSCRIPTION BASED as well. Many of their products now include AI to help in many areas. Their software packages are not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. They have a new "trial" version of their video software with AI that you can use for 30 days to check it out.

I also have Lightroom Classic and have not seen any additional updates to it. Adobe tries to punish us that want a non-subscription based tool, but not offering any updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000