DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quantifying the Pilot vs Photographer Distinction

For every hour you spend flying, how much time do you spend editing/processing?

• No Editing

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Less than half an hour

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Half an hour

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • An hour

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • An hour and a half

• 2 hours or more

• Total voters
I personally focus so much on video, I forget to take photos. I need to keep that in mind, buy depending on what you are trying to accomplish, editing usually takes more time in my opinion.
Perhaps since I come from the Pilot side, I was just lumping photos and videos together for this purpose. Flying vs Other.

I never take pictures, but the video recorder comes on with every flight.

Thx.

you should have an "EDIT" button. After you have edited, hit "SAVE."
That worked fine to add the new option; it just wasn't immediately obvious to me how to change the order of the options.

But OMM did it for me, thank you sir!

:cool:

Reactions: old man mavic
You are right about the trade-off. I usually, initially go with the very detailed, seeing which items are important, then throwing away everything that isn't necessary to boil down to the concise. That that provides for me it an in-depth knowledge of a subject. It is difficult to present the "consise" when you don't know that the questioner's background details are. All of this is much easier to do in back and forth CONVERSATION in a phone conversation. Makes it much easier to convey only the relevant information.

FWIW I'm on meds right now that make me a veritable chatty Cathy. Anything and everything right now can take me off on a tangent.
My approach is exactly the opposite of this! I like to look at things from a high level first, to see if they're worth looking at in detail. If something does seem to warrant a closer look, the I look more closely, until it stops being interesting.

As for this:
FWIW I'm on meds right now that make me a veritable chatty Cathy. Anything and everything right now can take me off on a tangent.
That's my natural state...no meds required!

1653249266555.png

If you put me up against a wall with a firing squad with the threat of death if not answering, I would have to say my ratio of flying time to editing time to be 10%.
See, that didn't hurt.

No firing squad required!

Unmentionned so far is logistics. For video, shooting the shots you need in sequence generally means increased overall flight time, and more battery. My workflow prioritizes getting all the shots needed in as efficient manner as possible around battery usage, and using a NLE to sequence them as desired.

You learn a lot about what works and what doesn't when you spend time looking and editing. The guidelines for feature films and other projects is shooting 10X the footage needed for the final piece, and by definition requires a lot of editing time.
This makes sense.

NLE??

This makes sense.

NLE??
Non-Linear Editor, one of the main types of video editors where you have multiple video/audio tracks that are mixed together.

My M2P is a flying camera for me and usually panoramas so usually spend a while merging the photos and touching up the final image.

Non-Linear Editor, one of the main types of video editors where you have multiple video/audio tracks that are mixed together.

My M2P is a flying camera for me and usually panoramas so usually spend a while merging the photos and touching up the final image.
No wonder I hadn't heard of it...

Thanks!

:)

My approach is exactly the opposite of this! I like to look at things from a high level first, to see if they're worth looking at in detail. If something does seem to warrant a closer look, the I look more closely, until it stops being interesting.

As for this:

That's my natural state...no meds required!

View attachment 148727
I know my way is the long way around. Sometimes a lot longer to fully understand. It's getting harder as I age as memory and learning come into play. I do take a 10,000 foot view to see if it's worth bothering with... but pretty soon after if I elect to continue it's a deep dive.

I know my way is the long way around. Sometimes a lot longer to fully understand. It's getting harder as I age as memory and learning come into play. I do take a 10,000 foot view to see if it's worth bothering with... but pretty soon after if I elect to continue it's a deep dive.
That certainly describes my behavior when I get obsessed about something, which does happen from time to time! But for me, most things don't pass the "Worth a detailed look" test!

That certainly describes my behavior when I get obsessed about something, which does happen from time to time! But for me, most things don't pass the "Worth a detailed look" test!

Right now I'm doing a deep dive into espresso machines, upgrading what I've had for the last 5 years. So many nuances and add-ons one one model, take-aways on a similar model, and trying to translate that into what my needs really are. There is simply no easy answer or simplicity and only one chance to pick a machine that could cost $2000+.

Right now I'm doing a deep dive into espresso machines, upgrading what I've had for the last 5 years. So many nuances and add-ons one one model, take-aways on a similar model, and trying to translate that into what my needs really are. There is simply no easy answer or simplicity and only one chance to pick a machine that could cost $2000+.
One of the payoffs to not liking coffee, I guess.

My Diet Mountain Dew tastes the same every morning, day after day after week after year. No muss, no fuss.

Works good!

Kind of a loaded question for me. I usually touch everything I capture with my drones, my phone, my pocket2, and my DSLR camera. But, none of it has to do with flight time. It has more to do of subject matter and what I am capturing i.e. still images or video or both and especially if I am putting together a videography/cinematography piece of footage.

Kind of a loaded question for me. I usually touch everything I capture with my drones, my phone, my pocket2, and my DSLR camera. But, none of it has to do with flight time. It has more to do of subject matter and what I am capturing i.e. still images or video or both and especially if I am putting together a videography/cinematography piece of footage.
I'm just trying to get a general sense of the averages around this.

The averages may well not describe any individual in the sample, but the average is still interesting.

Thx.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard