DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question About Anti-Collision Light Placement (Lume)

NoVaMavicPilot

Reactions
Greetings All,

New member and MP2 pilot here. Passed my 107 test and awaiting my cert (after what seemed to be some major hiccups with IACRA and FAA information about their process).
Based on some research I did, I purchased a lume cube for my MP2. I don't plan to do much twilight/night shooting, and I don't want to permanently place this light on the back of my MP2, if I can avoid it. I've seen some people mention placing the attachment velcro on the MP2 battery. I would like to do this so that I have a separate battery for twilight or night flights and so I am not permanently wed to attaching to my MP2.
Being very thoughtful and deliberate about this, as I don't want to do anything that messes with signals or causes any issues with the battery. I may be overthinking this, but that's what happens when you are inexperienced. Interested in your thoughts on this. I plan to check with DJI's support on this too, but I don't expect much information from them on this. Thanks.

I would not place the lume cube on top of the battery. We just use the velcro tab on top of the front hood of the drone , What nice about that , is when the drone is far away and you tilt the drone down to move back to you ,, its allows you to see the light for a quick visual . From a hover position you will not see the light unless you make that tilt of the drone so the light serves two purposes to signal above and can be used for your visual.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on the Water.

Reactions: Bob D
I have an A2S, but really similar. I put my lume on the front center of the battery. I did this after reading that having it on the top off the hood could cause minor GPS issues. Also, I did like you said, I have pack 3 is my night pack, others are no velcro at all.

Since it is really on about the same plane, I can see it when I tilt for flight if it is coming towards me just fine, and it isn't necessary to have on the hood. But since this is an A2S and not a MP2, I can't say it would be exactly the same.

Anyway, anything on top really works, and if it is important or wanted to not have it permanently on the drone, like in my case, then battery placement, just behind the power button with enough room to use the button is where mine went. I also felt this was a more central location, leading to less change in flight characteristics. But, I have no evidence of that since I liked it so much, I never moved it after.

I have an A2S, but really similar. I put my lume on the front center of the battery. I did this after reading that having it on the top off the hood could cause minor GPS issues. Also, I did like you said, I have pack 3 is my night pack, others are no velcro at all.

Since it is really on about the same plane, I can see it when I tilt for flight if it is coming towards me just fine, and it isn't necessary to have on the hood. But since this is an A2S and not a MP2, I can't say it would be exactly the same.

Anyway, anything on top really works, and if it is important or wanted to not have it permanently on the drone, like in my case, then battery placement, just behind the power button with enough room to use the button is where mine went. I also felt this was a more central location, leading to less change in flight characteristics. But, I have no evidence of that since I liked it so much, I never moved it after.
Hey.
I've an Air2S and looking to do some drone light painting. So I'd need the lume cubes (or something similar) pointing downward. Do you know if you can do this with the Air2S, ie I don't think you can attach something directly under as it would cover sensor but maybe attach via some bracket on the arms?
Any guidance would be great
Thanks Ro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98