Join Us Now

Question about FAA registration...

cab124

Reactions
Reactions: theDRONEranger
Certainly looks that way my friend.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I just renewed my recreational flyers registration at the site:

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Drone Registration - Official FAADroneZone Registration

but afterward, realized that this is not the same site I used for my original registration:

FAADroneZone - Recreational Flyer Dashboard

The site I used says that it is not affiliated with the FAA and charged almost $50 (including stickers and ID card).

Did I mess up and register at a bogus site and way overpay??
Yes.... It is a third party and not the FAA official site where the fee is $5 for recreational pilots covering all their drones, or if you are 107 it is $5/drone.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I can't believe that I did that. Now they have all of my information.

I just registered on the real site and paid $5.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
It's possible your "other" registration is still valid but they are your PROXY and registered you for you. They charge some extra $$ and cough-validate-cough it by giving you $1 worth of labels with your Reg$ on them.

Their "tactics" are dishonest and their META DATA is an outright LIE. I've reported them to the FAA for additional "attention".

Last edited:
I cant' predict whether it would work, but it may be worth trying to initiate a dispute with your CC company claiming that the site was deliberately deceptive.
As underhand as it may appear, the fact that the site states that its not affiliated with the FAA will probably let them claim that they’re not deceiving anyone.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Drone Registration - Official FAADroneZone Registration

but afterward, realized that this is not the same site I used for my original registration:

The site I used says that it is not affiliated with the FAA and charged almost $50 (including stickers and ID card).

At least you got some stickers for your extra $45. ;)

Reactions: BigAl07
As underhand as it may appear, the fact that the site states that its not affiliated with the FAA will probably let them claim that they’re not deceiving anyone.
They may claim that, but clearly (as with they OP) they are deceiving people. And with the site being named "Official FAADroneZone Registration" there's clearly intent to deceive there.

I still say it's worth a try.

Unfortunately this isn't the only site out there "impersonating" the FAA for drone registration. It's been happening for years now, and I'm sure the FAA is aware. For whatever reason the government doen't seem interested in taking legal action against these sites.

Yup. Sorry.

I sent a kinda snarky email to the support email address, thinking that no one would read it, but someone did, and they agreed to cancel my order.
Wow... lucky you. I don't think these sites usually offer to do that.

I did the same earlier this year. The registration should be valid but you won't receive the extras. I ended up disputing this with my cc company and received a refund. Went back to the legit FAA site and re-registered.

I remembered when I registered my MA2 about 5 months ago it cost around $50 or so and now I received an emailed for renewal at $5. I'll definitely renew at the $5 charge, but I got stickers originally. Are they still valid?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22