DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Maximizing Flight Time

JonathanP

Reactions
I have a Mini 3 Pro with about 25 flights under my belt so still new to drones. When I get my drone to elevation I tend to throw it in sport mode and max throttle to my destination. I then change modes, record, and photo as needed before zipping around for more angles or destinations. My question is this: While sport mode can get me to a location quicker, does the increased draw on the battery outweigh the time saved getting there, effectively reducing the "over the objective" flight time? What is your experience?

Yes! In sports mode, there will be more battery drainage.

@JonathanP ,normal mode would give you the best overall flight time,but its still dependant on how you fly ,such as changing heights ,a lot and of course, whether or not, you are flying into, or with the wind
and believe it or not just hovering in windy conditions will use a lot of battery as well

Reactions: Cafguy and GFields
Yeah a lot of factors involved, you need to try it out for yourself and decide what works for you and your situation and your particular drone. Pretty sure there isn't a ton of difference but if you need every minute you can get.....

While sport mode can get me to a location quicker, does the increased draw on the battery outweigh the time saved getting there, effectively reducing the "over the objective" flight time?
If you wanted to maximise flight time, you would need to fly at a steady 13.5 mph in windless conditions.
Flying slower or faster, climbing, slowing, accelerating and headwinds will all reduce flight time.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
If you wanted to maximise flight time, you would need to fly at a steady 13.5 mph in windless conditions.
Flying slower or faster, climbing, slowing, accelerating and headwinds will all reduce flight time.
Where did you get that number from? Just asking.

I have a Mini 3 Pro with about 25 flights under my belt so still new to drones. When I get my drone to elevation I tend to throw it in sport mode and max throttle to my destination. I then change modes, record, and photo as needed before zipping around for more angles or destinations. My question is this: While sport mode can get me to a location quicker, does the increased draw on the battery outweigh the time saved getting there, effectively reducing the "over the objective" flight time? What is your experience?
My experience with all of my DJI drones is that in sport mode, not only are you pushing the battery and motors to the limit, you are also creating the largest amount of drag flying through the air at higher speeds. Doubling the speed causes drag to quadruple.
DJI specs longest flying times at lower speeds that account for the best efficiency and the lowest drag (such as it is).
I definitely get the best run time in Normal mode.
Wind can also be a big issue.

Reactions: Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne