DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about parks

DDesertman

Reactions
So I know it’s not allowed to fly in National parks but I’ve read on here and other forums where people have flown at Bartlett lake, canyon lake. Aren’t those technically National parks? Tonto?

Just getting a drone soon and curious how you can fly in some parks and not others?

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: Thomas B
Remember, Flying Drones is usually prohibited within all National Parks, National Forests, many State Parks, Stadiums, or Racetracks with ongoing events, Military Bases, Prisons, even many city parks.

I live in York County, VA, and the county prohibits Drone flying from all county property, that's School Yards, Parks, Sports Fields, and Public Boat Launches.

The rules usually say that flying in a specific area is prohibited (that includes taking off, landing, and piloting the drone).

However, the FAA controls the air and flying over these areas is not prohibited or even illegal. You just have to fly (as in control…) your drone from outside the specific area. That means flying FPV in many cases… I am no expert on the legality of flying FPV verses within the FAA rule, "Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you."

But keep this in mind, if you crash your drone, due to any number of reasons, hitting a tree, a bird strike, drone failure (mechanical difficulty), dead battery, etc… You have technically landed your drone and as the old saying goes, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing…" But joking aside, if your drone lands (or crashes) within the confines of the prohibited area, you may find it impossible to recover it. Your Drone sitting within the confines of a prohibited area is "prima facie evidence" that you broke the law.

So, if after all this and you decide to try your luck and visit the Washington Monument late at night and get a great nighttime video of the monument and post the video on line and the National Park Service sees it and they might decide to make an example of you. Remember, a lot of folks were convicted for the attack on the Capital due to their predilection to posting videos…

So, when start Droning, Drone Safely.

BDC

Remember, Flying Drones is usually prohibited within all National Parks, National Forests, many State Parks, Stadiums, or Racetracks with ongoing events, Military Bases, Prisons, even many city parks.
Drone flying is allowed in National Forests in the US, with some few local forest restrictions. All Wilderness areas within National Forests are off limits for drone operation.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Drone flying is allowed in National Forests in the US, with some few local forest restrictions. All Wilderness areas within National Forests are off limits for drone operation.
SethB is correct; I was wrong about drone flying in National Forests.

Here is a link to the U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Web Page with "Tips for Responsible Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) on National Forest Systems Lands"

Tips for Responsible Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service

I stand corrected!

Happy Droning and Fly Safe in the National Forests!

BDC

PS: But watch out for Smokey the Bear, he may not be so obliging… If you run into Yogi Bear, give him a big old "Hey, Hey, Hey" from me.

I've just gone into hibernation!
"Hey,Hey,Hey"
I was talking to Boo Boo and he said, "Hey Yogi, you cannot go into hibernation yet, it's too soon, the weather is great and Ranger Smith is off chasing some Drone Flyers. There are Picnic Baskets yet to be had. So wake up, I'm hungry." Then he said, "Yogi, you're smarter than the average bear; so what's a Drone? "

Yogi.jpg

Reactions: Yogi053
There was this guy who was flying his drone at double arch in Arches National Park. I mentioned to him that it was illegal to fly there, he did not appear to care... 062A4660_HDR.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929