DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about the gimbal clamp

MasterOfPuppets

Reactions
Hey guys. Got my MP last month and have been flying it a decent amount around the house. One thing I notice is sometimes when taking the gimbal clamp off it is a little difficult, then some times, like today, it’s very simple. I get nervous doing it sometimes because I’m afraid I’m gonna break the gimbal. Today, it seemed very easy to get it off that I wondered if the gimbal was loose or broken. After firing it up it did it’s normal “looking around”, so I know everything is good. Also when taking it off I have to do a small twist motion to get it off.

Am I being too cautious? Can the gimbal break that easily?

Thanks guys

I don't think you will break the gimbal by working with the clamp. I hold the camera with one hand to keep it stable while putting the clamp on or off with the other. The most common problem with the clamp is that pilots forget to take it off. Then you will get gimbal overload errors. I taped some red ribbon on mine so it is obvious when on.

Last edited:
Can the gimbal break that easily?

Yes it can and does break gimbal components frequently if you arent careful installing and removing the clamp. When installing the clamp, the clamp's prongs fit inside the gimbal roll motor cover, and if you force it on, you will eventually crack the motor cover. Some people go with aftermarket gimbal clamps, but I have trained myself not to force it on or off.

You should be able to pull it straight up and it has finger grips on each side to help you pull it.

Here's a good video:

What I worry about when fitting the clamp is catching the ribbon cable as it comes quite close to the clamp.

Thanks for the help guys!

DroneMaster - I think I’m definitely going to order one of those, thanks!

Reactions: ToddR
Those are less fiddly than the OEM clamp, and then you dont have to put on the extra bubble as well.

With the Amazon one, you first have to fit the prongs of the bubble on to the gimbal roll motor, then clip it on to the front.

Dumb question, but you are recommending the Amazon one?

Yeop, you’ll love it believe me!;)

Agreed I just bought one of these and got it today in my own research, far less fiddly than the dji one, plus you almost never (ahem) forget the clamp is on as you remove the bubble for flight anyhow. Also no issues with my case.

I recommend this too.

I bought one and have been so happy i did. One still needs to take care that the slots are all aligned when putting it on. Overall however it snaps on very securly very easily. Nowi only have one thing to be sure I remove before i turn the bird on. I do think however the OEM clamp may come in handy when i get brave enough to try one of my filters.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329