DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about upcoming faa test for recreational flyers

that's great. no picking on you but this is a good thread...

this is what i don't like to see...and i'm really disappointed with this.

your city is no more locked down than any other city. i see plenty of spaces for you to fly today. the thought that hobbyist (like me) can't fly unless they get a "drone license" is exactly the type of mentality that i think is not helpful. not bashing you but you said "it's getting worse [for hobbyist]" which to me means you need to get a license else you soon won't be able to fly at all.

this whole idea of separating the two into classes based on the "right to fly" which is incorrect (temporary at best) rather than what it is meant to be (commercial vs. non-commercial) will only work against hobbyist interest in the future.

perhaps that is what the faa is trying to do, force everyone to get a "drone license." maybe laanc never will open up, the test will never go online, and further restrictions will make it impossible to fly legally without part 107. but of course, that won't stop hobbyist for flying but the no-fly signs will start to read "no flying without a license" or "show your license and we'll give you a permit to fly" because pilots with "drone licenses" are properly trained, have insurance, etc. police will stop and frisk for a "drone license" and ticket and tow equipment (in error) without proper license and registration. because hobbyist fly drones that are not registered with the faa unlike 107s who have a "license plate." officer says "the last guy flipped his drone license to me, show me yours else shut it down."

they don't know. most people don't know. and won't know the rules. the normal will become what makes most sense. an individually license piece of equipment with an operator possessing a valid government license. none of the airspace class stuff nobody will care about. you will be laughed at if you tell the county sheriff his airspace is uncontrolled and "anybody" is free to fly.

this isn't what is happening now...but this is what it is becoming. less so from the faa (for now), more so from the people in general but with a lot of help from us, the flying class. "i got a license, now i'm free to fly even though i have no intentions of commercial use" makes no sense. it's like getting a CDL just in case you want to haul **** but you drive around daily in your POV, who does that? :)

i don't want to be forced to get part 107 just to fly. i live in a constitutional free state and the only reason why i have a CCH is because i like to cross the state line without becoming a felon. adding to the 107 ranks to inflate those numbers will cause the industry to go in that direction and hobbyist will be left behind (like the faa just did to us). and then once everyone has a 107, you will start to see the restrictions. same thing like open carry vs. having a permit.

i realize the forum i am in but running out and getting a government license so you can fly your drone is not a thing...and probably never will be. millions of people who not take a test they can't pass but they won't forgo a drone purchase just because they don't have a 107. let's try to hang together rather than showing our differences. personally i thought you should have fought 107 for casual use but it really irks me when i see someone embrace (and appear to revel in the idea) that if you take even one non-recreational photos or you make even $1 from a drone photo never mind intent, then you are a commercial pilot and you've broken the law unless you have 107. ridiculous.

there, i said it.
/rant

Wow! You are a true government pessimist !!! I think I love you! All of what you said could, would & can happen at the drop of a hat. Like I said in a previous discussion, I am thinking of selling my MP. Right now I cannot fly in my own neighborhood even staying below 75'...?? IMHO !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111