DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question concerning Mini in Canada

Thanev

Reactions
Saw the following online in a rentalnad for the mini....
"Thanks to its small size, the Mavic Mini can fly where larger drones are legally not permitted, or where a drone license is required."
Fly where larger drones are LEGALLY NOT PERMITTED?
Just me who sees a problem.with these at an airport....

Saw the following online in a rentalnad for the mini....
"Thanks to its small size, the Mavic Mini can fly where larger drones are legally not permitted, or where a drone license is required."
Fly where larger drones are LEGALLY NOT PERMITTED?
Just me who sees a problem.with these at an airport....
not true they are only exempt from the registration and test but they still have to follow the rules

As OMM said, you still have to follow all the rules that are listed on the TC website. You just don’t have to register it or take the pilot exam.

I think lots of new MM owners are going to get a big surprise after Christmas when they find out they still have to follow all the existing rules, especially where you are allowed to fly and keeping it in VLOS at all times.

Chris

Could someone PLEASE send me a link to the official word on this?I can't seem to find anything explicitly outlining this matter....

Thanks!
Saw this but " If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger"(Transport Canada)is really vague.
So I can fly over 400'AGL,in a park,just off the runway at an airport,closer that 30m to people....etc.?
Nowhere does it say rules for RPAS system operation are still in effect,with only a relaxation on licensing and registration.
I see bad things down the road for all of us with this perception of no rules on sub 250gm drones.

When the new rules came into effect on June 1st, the MM didn’t exist and most, if not all micro drones could fly nowhere near the distance or height the Mini could fly. Aside from weight, the MM is a full featured and capable drone. It can fly farther and stay in the air longer than both my Spark and Phantom 3 Standard which both require registration and a pilots licence to fly. Other than weight, the rules are based on what you are doing and where you are flying, so I think they would still apply to the Mini.

Chris

I would think and hope the same rules would still apply.But how does a new pilot access the rules,when pilots such as ourselves cannot access a clear and concise guideline for the sub 250gm market?
I have reached out to Transport Canada for clarification.

I would think and hope the same rules would still apply.But how does a new pilot access the rules,when pilots such as ourselves cannot access a clear and concise guideline for the sub 250gm market?
I have reached out to Transport Canada for clarification.
with the MM DJI have been very clever they have seen a gap in the market for a sub 250g drone,the micro drones you mentioned are really the toy ones ,that have a tiny camera can only fly 100 ft from the controller before they loose signal, dont have GPS, i could go on but i am sure you get my point (you must never put people or aircraft in danger) well if your toy drone has a very limited flight performance which they do then unless you were stood on the airfield next to the planes or flew in a crowded park then you would be hard pressed to put anyone in danger ,these small toy drones were the only sub 250g ones around when the rules were written as #Chrislaf said,then suddenly the MM comes along,and falls into the sub 250g zone,but hang on, it can fly way beyond VLOS, way higher than 400 ft, has a very good 3 axis camera, and if it hit someone could cause serious injury so based on that fact it is obvious that despite it weight it should be flown under the same rules as a registered drone. i do agree though that T C need to clarify the rules for the MM

It is in the TC website. Anyone flying a drone up to 25kg, must follow CARs. Under 250 grams, the first sentence still applies, except for registration and test.
Legal requirements when flying drones
Drone pilots must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). Part IX – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systemscontains most of the rules that apply to drones up to 25 kilograms. You should read these regulations in full before you fly your drone for the first time.
Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered. If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone or get a drone pilot certificate.

It is in the TC website. Anyone flying a drone up to 25kg, must follow CARs. Under 250 grams, the first sentence still applies, except for registration and test.
Legal requirements when flying drones
Drone pilots must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). Part IX – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systemscontains most of the rules that apply to drones up to 25 kilograms. You should read these regulations in full before you fly your drone for the first time.
Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered. If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone or get a drone pilot certificate.
i guess that says it all thanks for clarifying

Reactions: Thanev
I can see the confusion though. Some people buying drones may not even realise there are regulations.

Reactions: Thanev
I think Trsnsport Canada needs to step up and make this information readily accessible for ownership of drones under 250gm.
The committee who put together the rules and regulations have made it somewhat difficult to answer the simplest of questions.I doubt that anyone who developed the website of rules and regs ever piloted a drone.Short of one person being a has-been astronaut.Try this simple test on your browser:

Under 250 gm drone Canada regulations

....or any other way you wish to initiate a search...

Dollars to donuts,you will not get any answers.If the beurarocrats in Ottawa want the masses to comply with the regulations,make the regs easily available...lord knows if there is an infraction they will want their pound of flesh.And our hobby will be regulated out of existence.

The Mavic Minis come with GPS... I wonder if they will follow the DJI no-fly zone conventions? If if they do, then there shouldn't be a problem with flying at airports or other places in the no-fly database.

It would be interesting to know how many people will be getting drones over 250 grams this Christmas with no idea that they have to take a test and register them before they fly.

These regulations have made it much easier for us commercial drone companies. Transport Canada took a few years to come out with these regulations (although not perfect) and did get feedback from the UAV industry, users and of course the public. After the yearly ritual of submitting paperwork for a blanket SFOC every year consisting of approximately 40 pages, these regulations are welcome. For the average user, it may be a pain, but flying a drone is not like playing with a dinky car. People can get hurt (and have) and knowing air rules, weather, and soooo much more will make you a smarter drone flier. Cowboy drone fliers are to blame for the new strict guidelines for recreational fliers. For us commercial drone fliers, it’s made it easier for us...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos