DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for Gyroflow users

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have tried to use Gyroflow with a few drones but even my Avata results in a notice that "...no motion data was found. The camera probably doesn't record motion data..." which is silly. I can't find any document or manual for Gyroflow. Any tips appreciated.

A simple Google search for "motion data DJI Avata" gave this ... think it will explain everything.

Much appreciated.

I just did my first simple export of a 2min 12sec, 2.2GB, MP4 from my avata. The 4K export took 8 min on my 2017 iMac. Reasonably well tricked out for what it is, but... Sheesh. I'll return to Gryo after I get a new M2 notebook. As it stands, for the kind of shooting I do, if the export times are roughly 4x the filming time I can't deal with that. Maybe silicone will lower those export times. Till then it's good to know it's there but I'll be using the built in stabilization. Too bad. Thought it might be a real tool but unless I'm missing something it's just too slow for me. If it batched I could see a workflow of setting up a series of shots and hit it and go off and do something different but nah. Is 4x the shot time about how long others with pre-silicone machines?

I have been using the built in stabilization as well. I have the same iMac since there have been no real updates (Pro aside) for the 27" size. I am holding out hope they may run with the 30" again. I have a long list of things to work on otherwise with learning video production, color grading, flying better and the list goes on but GyroFlow is installed and tried but at this time not in regular use. If no iMac next year MacBook will be the next option and might be anyhow for portability. Glad it worked at least.

I am wondering why many folks think the Avata's built in stabilization is not sufficient? I am mean, sure you can always make things smoother through software, but personally, I don't see the need to use it in most scenarios, not to mention the extra time and hassle factor. Am I missing something?

I am wondering why many folks think the Avata's built in stabilization is not sufficient? I am mean, sure you can always make things smoother through software, but personally, I don't see the need to use it in most scenarios, not to mention the extra time and hassle factor. Am I missing something?
GyroFlow is superior but not for everyone. You can modify parts of the video, in parts, with more or less effect.

The reason I am exploring Gyroflow is for the ability to choose the level of "rocksteady". After shooting a scene it may well be that I would like some wild unstabilized action or a minute later a steady look and gryroflow will allow you to make that decision in post. I have not yet really explored it. I'm going to Arizona for a desert drone vacation and trying to grasp it's usefulness so as to not waste time down there. I'm just at the "interested in it" stage. A huge downside for me is the time it takes. On my older 2017 iMac processing a Gyroflow file takes 4x the video shoot time. I'll have a tricked out Macbook Pro when the M2 are announced so that time issue will diminish at least somewhat.

...Am I missing something?
In the clip in post #2 between 0:30 & 1:40 he goes over some reasons why you might want to apply the stabilization in post.

Another is that in camera stabilization require reasonably sharp frames in the vid. meaning the shutter needs to be rather fast, can be a problem if you want motion blur, this can even be a problem when you try to follow the 180 degree rule, already that is to much blur for the internal stabilization to work properly. Also, if the internal stabilization fails ... you're stuck, you can't make it undone, the clip is destroyed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx