DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Avata 2 newbie questions

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Took my avata 2 out for its Maiden flight . Took it out of beginner mode but could only achieve 8m/s or 17.5 miles per hour top speed . Video feed started breaking up at 400m and it would not pick up any sd cards I put into it . Why so slow ? Why is my range so poor ? Do I have to go into manual mode to go faster and what exactly is manual mode ? I read even in CE areas which I am in , the speed isn't restricted whereas the transmission power is . Another question the RTH kicked in at 25 % battery even though it was 200 meters away . Couldnt figure out how to cancel this when it happened. Not point landing with 22 % battery remaing imo . Any tips or insight would be appreciated

Last edited:
I am sure a Member who has an Avata 2 will help you soon
As far as MANUAL mode If this is your first drone STAY AWAY for now. You will crash the Drone.
Perhaps you had the drone in some sort of "cine" Mode? I have not seen an Avata 2 close up yet.

I love FPV and I prefer Flying in Manual Mode or ACRO myself. The drone will behave like a Drone should BUT it is Much different then flying in any "stable" mode. When you give the drone a direction to go its gonna just keep going that way until you do something different. Some find it very intimidating at first. The easiest cheapest way to "get into" FPV is to get a RadioMaster controller on Ebay and download the FPV Sim Liftoff BUT think hard....Its an Addiction for sure!

You don’t want to drain the battery very low. On all my drones RTH kicks in no matter how far away you are. I would guess beginner mode has restricted a lot of things. I took mine out of beginner mode and immediately flew almost a mile away. Press larger lock button to cancel RTH. I LOVE the upgraded version. I have both and don’t think my first Avata will be getting much airtime.

Reactions: Torque and Cafguy
Almost forgot. Use the goggles to format your SD card. And there is no manual mode unless you have the controller 3. The MC3 is only N and S modes.

You don’t want to drain the battery very low. On all my drones RTH kicks in no matter how far away you are. I would guess beginner mode has restricted a lot of things. I took mine out of beginner mode and immediately flew almost a mile away. Press larger lock button to cancel RTH. I LOVE the upgraded version. I have both and don’t think my first Avata will be getting much airtime.

Think that again 😁

Son, daughter, friend you can bring along? Avata chasing Avata lots and lots of fun...

• Wow
Reactions: 4 inch pistons
After some thought, the limited range may come from low altitude. If you are flying very low to the ground, that will have an effect on how far the range will be since the antennas are on the bottom of the drone.

On my first flight with the Avata 2 I also had the problem with very limited range. As far I I remember, there was a red message in the Goggle's display, showing that some security update for the Goggles was missing. I don not really remember, but I think I connected the goggles to my phone and my phones Fly app, got in the Goggle's menu and updated it. Then everything was fine and I could go out as far as I wanted.
And there is also a parameter for range limit in the Goggle's menu - maybe you could check that.

Regarding low altitude and range limit: on one of my next flights, I started at my balcony on the first floor, then flew down to just 1.5m above ground to a small forest area, appr. 700m away. On this level close to the ground , I circled around and between tress and bushes without any range problems.

You need to go into the settings on the goggles and adjust the gains for both Normal and Sports mode. They are set at the slowest speed possible on arrival, only a bit faster than beginner mode. Once you increase the speed in your settings, you will be very happy.

My Avata 2 was supposed to arrive on Wednesday, UPS delays are frustrating. It is out for delivery right now, and I work 12 hour shifts for the next 3 days....

Reactions: Cafguy
Took my avata 2 out for its Maiden flight . Took it out of beginner mode but could only achieve 8m/s or 17.5 miles per hour top speed . Video feed started breaking up at 400m and it would not pick up any sd cards I put into it . Why so slow ? Why is my range so poor ? Do I have to go into manual mode to go faster and what exactly is manual mode ? I read even in CE areas which I am in , the speed isn't restricted whereas the transmission power is . Another question the RTH kicked in at 25 % battery even though it was 200 meters away . Couldnt figure out how to cancel this when it happened. Not point landing with 22 % battery remaing imo . Any tips or insight would be appreciated
You may want to consider joining our sister forum FPV Pilots and asking your question there. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from those folks

You need to go into the settings on the goggles and adjust the gains for both Normal and Sports mode. They are set at the slowest speed possible on arrival, only a bit faster than beginner mode. Once you increase the speed in your settings, you will be very happy.

My Avata 2 was supposed to arrive on Wednesday, UPS delays are frustrating. It is out for delivery right now, and I work 12 hour shifts for the next 3 days....

I've had issues with deliveries from Utterly Pathetic Service a few times too. 🙄🤨

Reactions: Torque
You may want to consider joining our sister forum FPV Pilots and asking your question there. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from those folks

I wish people would, buts it's basically a dead forum, so people post here where there's a very active community for discussion. That's why I post and respond to DJI fpv topics here.

Maybe consider making this a DJI site rather than just Mavic? The purity is already broken with the Air and Mini sections.

I suspect officially welcoming the DJI FPV products into the fold over here, like the Minis, would be overwhelmingly received positively by the community.

One last point: With goggles and motion controllers supporting drone models officially a part of this site, the issue is getting muddier and muddier.

Just create a DJI FPV drones section and profit.

Flying gps drones for years bit this is my first foray into FPV .
Were you flying with the motion controller 3 ? I’m not sure but you might need the new RC controller 3 to fly crazy fast with it. I can’t fly my Avata 1 really fast with my motion controller, same thing with my DJI FPV.

I wish people would, buts it's basically a dead forum, so people post here where there's a very active community for discussion. That's why I post and respond to DJI fpv topics here.

Maybe consider making this a DJI site rather than just Mavic? The purity is already broken with the Air and Mini sections.

I suspect officially welcoming the DJI FPV products into the fold over here, like the Minis, would be overwhelmingly received positively by the community.

One last point: With goggles and motion controllers supporting drone models officially a part of this site, the issue is getting muddier and muddier.

Just create a DJI FPV drones section and profit.
I was just going to say the same thing, there is little to no discussion on the FPV forum about the Avata 2. This is where the disucussions are taking place.

With the RC 3 you can use 'manual mode' as an addition to 'normal' and 'sport' mode - no manual mode with the MC 3. Manual mode allows much higher speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25