DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The New Avata FPV and you!!

Cafguy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
With all the excitement brought about by the release of the new Avata 2 I can see we will be getting some new people excited about FPV and the drone hobby in general.
I would like to chime in here for those new guys putting on goggles for the first time!
You will hate it at first and you will feel like there is NO WAY your eyes or your reactions could adjust to this!
It happens to Everyone who starts wearing goggles. The thing is you will be using muscles in your eyes you have never used before and this will take time. Some people get it in a few hours Most take many days of practice. It took me quite a long time myself. SO if you find yourself in this situation DO NOT give up in fact practice MORE and get those eyes up to speed. The disappointment will be replaced by excitement and you will be wondering why you never did this before!
ALSO These drones act much better and are way more enjoyable to fly in manual mode. DO NOT try to learn to fly ACRO (manual) with your new expensive Drone! To learn to fly in manual mode I would HIGHLY suggest the Drone Simulator LIFTOFF its great for practice. They also make a sim called Liftoff Micro Drones wich is fantastic for learning to Fly Whoop style Drones such as the Avata
I am excited to add you new guys into the hobby ...The more the Better And by all means Enjoy the FUN of the new Avata 2

Last edited:
Great advice!

I'll add that you should have a chair and sit when you first start out. The mismatch between what you're seeing and what your body's (not) experiencing can be disorienting, and can even cause you to lose balance and fall.

You may get nauseated at first too. Except for rare cases, this usually goes away with some experience.

Looking forward to flying my Avata 2 which arrives tomorrow. Good info on this thread for us beginners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
With all the excitement brought about by the release of the new Avata 2 I can see we will be getting some new people excited about FPV and the drone hobby in general.
I would like to chime in here for those new guys putting on goggles for the first time!
You will hate it at first and you will feel like there is NO WAY your eyes or your reactions could adjust to this!
It happens to Everyone who starts wearing goggles. The thing is you will be using muscles in your eyes you have never used before and this will take time. Some people get it in a few hours Most take many days of practice. It took me quite a long time myself. SO if you find yourself in this situation DO NOT give up in fact practice MORE and get those eyes up to speed. The disappointment will be replaced by excitement and you will be wondering why you never did this before!
ALSO These drones act much better and are way more enjoyable to fly in manual mode. DO NOT try to learn to fly ACRO (manual) with your new expensive Drone! To learn to fly in manual mode I would HIGHLY suggest the Drone Simulator LIFTOFF its great for practice. They also make a sim called Liftoff Micro Drones wich is fantastic for learning to Fly Whoop style Drones such as the Avata
I am excited to add you new guys into the hobby ...The more the Better And by all means Enjoy the FUN of the new Avata 2
I'm blind in one eye. Years ago I had some Fat Sharks that showed the same images in both lenses so it worked for me. I was wondering if you can see the same view in each lens of the new Goggles. Maybe close one eye and see if you can still fly effectively? Thanks! Appreciate any feedback you may have.

Reactions: Torque
So for someone who’s drones sit for months at a time between use, I’ll never get used to it?

1712963835668.png
I bought this type of folding stool, it offers good stability and once you adjust to the goggles, a more immersive experience because you can move and sway with the drone somewhat.

If you experience motion sickness it helps to shrink the view on your first few flights, and expand as you adjust to the movement. I'm not sure these new goggles will allow that, but the previous models let you choose the screen size.
Excited to receive my fly more kit on the 16th!

What is this for me now... DJI drone #13?

Here I am reading a particular section of the Avata 2 user manual 🤣🤣:

Last edited:
Wow, the Avata 2 make it 3 drone for me.

Well, started 15 years ago with an impulse buy of a Phantom 4 at COSTCO at Christmas. At the time I was into electric RC helicopters.

Since then, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark, Tello, Air 2, Air 2S, Mavic 2 Pro, Mini 2, Mini 3 Pro, Mini 4 Pro, DJI FPV, Avata. That's 13 😁 The Tello isn't strictly a DJI product, but I consider it one. Honorable mention goes to Parrot Mambo, a fun little serious toy that rivals the Tello. Got two of those.

No Mavic 3 or Air 3. Likely skip those at this point and instead see what DJI births as a Mavic 4... hoping they figure out how to cram a variable optical zoom into the camera module, with variable aperture. I'm all over that if they do!

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and MotoSavy
No Mavic 3 or Air 3. Likely skip those at this point and instead see what DJI births as a Mavic 4... hoping they figure out how to cram a variable optical zoom into the camera module, with variable aperture. I'm all over that if they do!

I have the Air 3 and really like it, but the Mini 4 Pro pretty much does everything other than Air Sense, the 3x Tele and better wind resistance.

I'm with you on waiting to see what the Mavic 4 will bring. The Mavic 3 had versions released in 2021 and 2022, so I would think that within a year they may release the Mavic 4 and will probably become my 4th drone.

Since then, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark, Tello, Air 2, Air 2S, Mavic 2 Pro, Mini 2, Mini 3 Pro, Mini 4 Pro, DJI FPV, Avata. That's 13 😁 The Tello isn't strictly a DJI product, but I consider it one. Honorable mention goes to Parrot Mambo, a fun little serious toy that rivals the Tello. Got two of those.
Similar story here. Flew fixed wing RC, saw an advertisement for the Phantom 1, I was hooked. It seems so archaic now looking back on that drone. Then I added the Phantoms 2 and 3, Mini 1, 2, 3, and 4, Mavic 3, FPV, Air 3 and Avata, now the Avata 2. Also had a handful of Blade drones from Horizon Hobby, a Yuneec Typhoon, and 2 of 3DR's drones.

Last edited:
Similar story here. Flew fixed wing RC, saw an advertisement for the Phantom 1, I was hooked. It seems so archaic now looking back on that drone. Then I added the Phantoms 2 and 3, Mini 1, 2, 3, and 4, Mavic 3, Air 3 and Avata, now the Avata 2. Also had a handful of Blade drones from Horizon Hobby, a Yuneec Typhoon, and 2 of 3DR's drones.

Our stories, no doubt shared by many others here, make me laugh thinking back. I remember after spending what seemed significant bucks on that P4 that I wouldn't need to buy another... what possible purpose would another drone serve?

Fifteen years and more than U$10,000 later, HA!

Three drone is it for me! At least for this month 😂

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard