DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for Litchi with Mini 2

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm happy to see that Litchi is now available for the Mini 2 with android devices but the iOS version hasn't come out yet awaiting another SDK update. My question is; Does Litchi offer automated flight downloaded from a file saved in the Litchi Mission Hub? Or, do you need to program any automated flight directly in the Litchi app itself? Are there other features with the Litchi/Mini 2 that are missing that one would find when using Litchi with at Mavic 2?

Also, I was trying to set up a waypoint mission directly in the Litchi app and I accidentally created a waypoint before actually beginning the programming where I didn't want it but couldn't figure out how to delete it. I don't think I could even clear all and had to exit the program then reopen. I'm sure there is a way to clear errant waypoints. How?

Yes, you can download your mission to your app just like you do with your Mavic 2. For deleting a Waypoint or a POI just left click on it, that will open a window with the parameters, on the top left corner you have a delete button.

I'm happy to see that Litchi is now available for the Mini 2 with android devices but the iOS version hasn't come out yet awaiting another SDK update. My question is; Does Litchi offer automated flight downloaded from a file saved in the Litchi Mission Hub? Or, do you need to program any automated flight directly in the Litchi app itself? Are there other features with the Litchi/Mini 2 that are missing that one would find when using Litchi with at Mavic 2?

Also, I was trying to set up a waypoint mission directly in the Litchi app and I accidentally created a waypoint before actually beginning the programming where I didn't want it but couldn't figure out how to delete it. I don't think I could even clear all and had to exit the program then reopen. I'm sure there is a way to clear errant waypoints. How?

I create my missions using the FlyLitchi hub on a browser on my desktop. I assume it is possible on the mobile device with the app, but I vastly prefer to use an interface that isn't tiny. You can also export the mission to view it in 3D on Google Earth to get a sense check about how it will work.

A few observations & tips from my 3+ weeks with Litchi:
  • The interface is pretty good, but be aware that a left click will often add an unwanted additional waypoint: just click the delete button on the waypoint panel to delete it. A right-click will add a new POI.
  • When you create and Save a mission, it'll be on your Litchi cloud account (free). Then, when you want to fly, touch the "eye" icon in the upper left then the Waypoint button to let you open the saved mission.
  • So far at least, my missions have waypoint #1 set well above any obstructions, so I fly my Mini 2 manually up to roughly the needed altitude before touching the start icon to begin the mission.
  • The Settings panel (lower left button) sets parameters that will be used as defaults, so start with it. Pay attention to the "finish action": for loops, "Back to 1" seemed to make sense, but I discovered that when I chose to start a 10-waypoint mission at WP5, it ended the mission by starting to return to WP5! Do you want the flight to use a curved path based on your waypoints or straight lines between points? Curves are best for video; straight lines for photos. Also, set the default cruising speed for the mission: if you want to change it later, you can do so from the settings panel to alter the overall mission time.
  • Start high if you are in an area with obstructions. I "know" the trees around my yard area are at most 25m, but they still seem awfully close when I'm near them at 40m due to the wide angle lens. After gaining confidence, I was able to edit the waypoints where I knew I was clear of trees to fly lower.
Having a programmed mission is great for repeating flights. My 10-waypoint mission gets photos of our property from various points around the yard area. At the current 12kph cruising speed, it takes 5 minutes to cover the 949m at an average altitude of 40m. During a very gusty flight earlier this week, it was blown off course by 15-20m while ~175m away. I was just about to abort and take over manually when I noted that it was correcting itself and returned back to complete the mission. Just as well: tramping through deep snow in -15°C to recover a downed drone would have been very discouraging!

Oh, and take a look at AirData as a way to review flights after the fact. You need to turn on a setting in Litchi to allow the telemetry data to be sent to your AirData cloud account — but then you can get a ton of useful data about the flight. View it on a desktop screen so you can get the full benefit of the maps and sensor details, as well as lots of info about settings used for photographs.

Reactions: Facherty
I create my missions using the FlyLitchi hub on a browser on my desktop. I assume it is possible on the mobile device with the app, but I vastly prefer to use an interface that isn't tiny. You can also export the mission to view it in 3D on Google Earth to get a sense check about how it will work.

A few observations & tips from my 3+ weeks with Litchi:
  • The interface is pretty good, but be aware that a left click will often add an unwanted additional waypoint: just click the delete button on the waypoint panel to delete it. A right-click will add a new POI.
  • When you create and Save a mission, it'll be on your Litchi cloud account (free). Then, when you want to fly, touch the "eye" icon in the upper left then the Waypoint button to let you open the saved mission.
  • So far at least, my missions have waypoint #1 set well above any obstructions, so I fly my Mini 2 manually up to roughly the needed altitude before touching the start icon to begin the mission.
  • The Settings panel (lower left button) sets parameters that will be used as defaults, so start with it. Pay attention to the "finish action": for loops, "Back to 1" seemed to make sense, but I discovered that when I chose to start a 10-waypoint mission at WP5, it ended the mission by starting to return to WP5! Do you want the flight to use a curved path based on your waypoints or straight lines between points? Curves are best for video; straight lines for photos. Also, set the default cruising speed for the mission: if you want to change it later, you can do so from the settings panel to alter the overall mission time.
  • Start high if you are in an area with obstructions. I "know" the trees around my yard area are at most 25m, but they still seem awfully close when I'm near them at 40m due to the wide angle lens. After gaining confidence, I was able to edit the waypoints where I knew I was clear of trees to fly lower.
Having a programmed mission is great for repeating flights. My 10-waypoint mission gets photos of our property from various points around the yard area. At the current 12kph cruising speed, it takes 5 minutes to cover the 949m at an average altitude of 40m. During a very gusty flight earlier this week, it was blown off course by 15-20m while ~175m away. I was just about to abort and take over manually when I noted that it was correcting itself and returned back to complete the mission. Just as well: tramping through deep snow in -15°C to recover a downed drone would have been very discouraging!

Oh, and take a look at AirData as a way to review flights after the fact. You need to turn on a setting in Litchi to allow the telemetry data to be sent to your AirData cloud account — but then you can get a ton of useful data about the flight. View it on a desktop screen so you can get the full benefit of the maps and sensor details, as well as lots of info about settings used for photographs.
Great post with lots of useful information. Thanks.

Reactions: ackdrone
@EricF
It's nice to see how you approach things. I've been using Litchi with my M2 for a year and think it's great. I also have a Mini 2 so have been waiting anxiously for Litchi to become available for it, but alas I am an iOS sufferer.

One thing that Litchi has that I had for several months before I realized it, was the ability to use VR goggles for FPV flight. I've only used them a couple of times but it was a gas. I was careful not to fly too far and out of sight so I could peek out of them regularly, not unlike working off of the phone.

@EricF
It's nice to see how you approach things. I've been using Litchi with my M2 for a year and think it's great. I also have a Mini 2 so have been waiting anxiously for Litchi to become available for it, but alas I am an iOS sufferer.

One thing that Litchi has that I had for several months before I realized it, was the ability to use VR goggles for FPV flight. I've only used them a couple of times but it was a gas. I was careful not to fly too far and out of sight so I could peek out of them regularly, not unlike working off of the phone.
Yes, I've only used DJI Fly once since I installed Litchi. I really prefer its UI, and find that its camera control options are both better and more accessible. Having the missions look after most of the flying makes it much easier to focus on the information being displayed on the screen, so I've found that my confidence has shot up.

We're still in full-on winter here (Quebec), so cold and snow everywhere. On the plus side, the days are often bright, and since most water is frozen over, testing missions that go over lakes and rivers is much less stressful!

I saw the VR goggles mode, and can hardly wait to try it. I do 3D photospheres (not with the drone yet) so have goggles that should be suitable (if I can find a way to get the USB cord out of the case).

So far, I haven't used other features — mostly due to it being winter — but I am planning to test the follow me capabilities while on snowshoes in one of our open fields later this week. My wife is eager for me to try it while we are riding our horses, but I kind of think that will need to wait a while yet!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu