DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for the folks in sunny England

petes

Reactions
So the wifey and myself were supposed to vacation in England this past May and covid changed that plan, I had taken the test and got my operator ID in preparation for the trip which never happened

Anyhoo, I am being positive and have booked and am planning a trip there next August so I renewed my CAA operator ID number for that trip. My question, are there any rule changes for 2021 for drone operators that I need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance..

Yes, at the end of the month and no, I am not up with them, but the CAA websites has changed since the last time I looked so it will be more up to date and maybe even current.

You aren't old enough lol.
Actually for some quite interesting footage try a search in youtube for low resevoir and drought and maybe Woodhead or Ladybower. There are a couple of major roads between Manchester and Sheffield across the Penines that run alongside resevoirs, I remember one summer in the 90's were one of those resevoirs was REALLY low due to drought and I think I have seen videos of it. The mud/peat? banks that were exposed were very impressive. It left me wondering how much additional storage could be gained if they were removed.

@petes depending on what drone you will be flying ,then,they will now be what is called a legacy drone and will be subject to different categories based on their weight ,if you go on the CAA website then the new rules are there, and what qualifications you will need to fly them ,under the new rules

Thanks Old Man, I will be bringing my Mavic 2 pro

spsphotos, we were there in August 2019 and the week we were in London was just as hot if not hotter than here in Florida

Yes, all changing on 1st January..
Firstly if you come with a mavic mini 1 or mini 2 (under 250gm) you are fine.

If you come with a drone that’s heavier that will be called a “legacy drone” you will have to stick with 50 mtrs from people rule, 150 from built up areas, maximum 120 mtrs from ground level height restriction etc. similar restrictions to the US, no fly zones, not near airports, stadia etc....its all on the CAA website.

If you operate commercially in the US with whatever qualifications you have there you may have to check if they are valid here, I am sure that they will be.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

If you operate commercially in the US with whatever qualifications you have there you may have to check if they are valid here, I am sure that they will be.
Unfortunately, that’s not the case. A US qualification won’t be relevant outside of the US.
That said, there’s no distinction between commercial and hobby flying post Jan 31st. But, as you said the building/people limits will apply to drones above Mini weight.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case. A US qualification won’t be relevant outside of the US.
That said, there’s no distinction between commercial and hobby flying post Jan 31st. But, as you said the building/people limits will apply to drones above Mini weight.

Would the FAA flyer registration be valid over here? I would have thought the registration of the country of origin would be internationally valid.

Would the FAA flyer registration be valid over here? I would have thought the registration of the country of origin would be internationally valid.
Nope. If you fly in the UK you need a UK/EU registration.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S