DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on geo lock zones and FCC hack (firmware vs DJI Go app)

ManuCH

Reactions
So I've been running my Mavic Air on an old firmware and geo lock zone database - the latest version before the introduction of DJI Geo 2.0, as I would be locked out where I live (while I can fly normally - and legally - with the old DJI Geo system consisting of circular zones only).

Now, I keep a dedicated iPhone running iOS 12.1 and DJI Go 4.3.10 to avoid running into issues. I'd love to update the iPhone and the DJI Go app to the newest versions (iOS 13.4 and DJI Go 4.3.32).

My questions:
- who is in charge of enforcing geo lock zones, the app or the Air's firmware? I tried opening DJI Go 4.3.32 on a newer phone and it shows the new DJI Geo 2.0 lock zones. Would it prevent my Air from taking off, even if I don't update the drone's firmware and geo zone database?
- does the FCC hack still work with DJI Go 4.3.32?
- will the new DJI Go 4.3.23 force me to update my Air, or will it work with older firmware too?

Thanks ?

So I've been running my Mavic Air on an old firmware and geo lock zone database - the latest version before the introduction of DJI Geo 2.0, as I would be locked out where I live (while I can fly normally - and legally - with the old DJI Geo system consisting of circular zones only).
Why would you be locked out if you upgraded if you're flying legally? Did DJI make an error with your area?

I've noticed DJI sometimes ignores local laws in lieu of their rules so just because you can fly it doesn't mean you should be.

Why would you be locked out if you upgraded if you're flying legally? Did DJI make an error with your area?

I've noticed DJI sometimes ignores local laws in lieu of their rules so just because you can fly it doesn't mean you should be.

They go above and beyond local laws in Switzerland. Over here, it's illegal for drones heavier than 500g to fly closer than 5km of airports. The Mavic Air is lighter than 500g so the restriction doesn't apply - of course it's still not a good idea to fly closer than 5km of airports.

Also, they added altitude restrictions on departure/approach paths, which aren't defined anywhere in Swiss law. They made that up out of thin air.

Especially now, where even Zurich international airport has 1 flight per hour or so, it would be nice to go flying, and sometimes you're just locked out because of DJI's excessive rule implementation.

They really should implement things as they are defined in the law, not as they think it makes sense to them.

They go above and beyond local laws in Switzerland. Over here, it's illegal for drones heavier than 500g to fly closer than 5km of airports. The Mavic Air is lighter than 500g so the restriction doesn't apply - of course it's still not a good idea to fly closer than 5km of airports.

Also, they added altitude restrictions on departure/approach paths, which aren't defined anywhere in Swiss law. They made that up out of thin air.

Especially now, where even Zurich international airport has 1 flight per hour or so, it would be nice to go flying, and sometimes you're just locked out because of DJI's excessive rule implementation.

They really should implement things as they are defined in the law, not as they think it makes sense to them.
That must be insanely annoying. They really should stop trying to police the skies.

Have you tried contacting them about unlocking the area permanently?

Just because you legally can fly in certain airspace, doesn't mean you should, or would need to be extra cautious.

The problem is that there are loads of inexperienced/ignorant pilots out there that would fly irresponsibly in areas that are legal, but risky. This is what DJI is trying to avoid with geofencing.

Now, I keep a dedicated iPhone running iOS 12.1 and DJI Go 4.3.10 to avoid running into issues. I'd love to update the iPhone and the DJI Go app to the newest versions (iOS 13.4 and DJI Go 4.3.32).

My questions:
- who is in charge of enforcing geo lock zones, the app or the Air's firmware? I tried opening DJI Go 4.3.32 on a newer phone and it shows the new DJI Geo 2.0 lock zones. Would it prevent my Air from taking off, even if I don't update the drone's firmware and geo zone database?
- does the FCC hack still work with DJI Go 4.3.32?
- will the new DJI Go 4.3.23 force me to update my Air, or will it work with older firmware too?

Thanks ?
I’d avoid updating anything

- who is in charge of enforcing geo lock zones, the app or the Air's firmware?
My understanding, at least on the Mavic Air, is they both are responsible for GeoZone enforcement.

Besides the latest version of DJI Go 4 is terrible and you don’t want to upgrade to it anyway.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, especially with DJI.

Just because you legally can fly in certain airspace, doesn't mean you should, or would need to be extra cautious.

The problem is that there are loads of inexperienced/ignorant pilots out there that would fly irresponsibly in areas that are legal, but risky. This is what DJI is trying to avoid with geofencing.
DJI should not exceed the local [legal] regulations.

In fact they should mind their own business.

That must be insanely annoying. They really should stop trying to police the skies.

Have you tried contacting them about unlocking the area permanently?

I did. They say that their policy is to go above and beyond local regulations, to avoid unexperienced drone pilots to fly where it's unsafe (even if legal).

They won't unlock the area permanently, but they will unlock it over and over if I request it. I haven't tried yet.

That's also true.

I’d avoid updating anything

My understanding, at least on the Mavic Air, is they both are responsible for GeoZone enforcement.

Besides the latest version of DJI Go 4 is terrible and you don’t want to upgrade to it anyway.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, especially with DJI.

Thank you for that, I'll keep everything as is. I went flying and everything works great!

FCC= yes, still works fine.
GEO= as said, dont upgrade, leave as is.

"They won't unlock the area permanently, but they will unlock it over and over if I request it. I haven't tried yet. "

I live in similar area, near airport. I have to unlock in order to fly. I did for about 6 months use the manual, in advance method to unlock for 3 days (basically for each upcoming weekend). Worked fine.
I learned you could do the same with a 'custom unlock' and request XX months of unlock. So i submitted it that way and now am on my 2nd 6 month unlock. So when I go to fly, i just have to enable that unlock license and away I go. Would recommend you try this one as an option if you decide to upgrade.

Reactions: ManuCH

"They won't unlock the area permanently, but they will unlock it over and over if I request it. I haven't tried yet. "

I live in similar area, near airport. I have to unlock in order to fly. I did for about 6 months use the manual, in advance method to unlock for 3 days (basically for each upcoming weekend). Worked fine.
I learned you could do the same with a 'custom unlock' and request XX months of unlock. So i submitted it that way and now am on my 2nd 6 month unlock. So when I go to fly, i just have to enable that unlock license and away I go. Would recommend you try this one as an option if you decide to upgrade.

Thank you, that's great advice, I'll try that in the future.

I reside in an area that requires an authorization. It lasts usually two days but is very flaky even getting it to unlock successfully. Sometimes it requires an unlock code sent via SMS, othertimes not. Can you please list the steps you describe as a custom unlock. Do you do that on the website or via the controller?

Sure. It is done by the unlock website. login to your dji account. Then select custom unlock.
Screenshot_20200409-080639_Chrome.jpg

Then follow the form instructions. For justification I put a sentence explaining I was just trying to unlock the Authorization Zone, not the restricted airspace zone (which requires airport approval). And you are forced to attach an image. So I took a screenshot of dji map showing airport authorization zone to have something.

Note-this form requires you to select a point on map and then draw a circle for unlocking. Each time I have done this I have added a note (and followed up with a reply to the email you received when submitted with tracking number of request) stating that I want to unlock all the authorization zone around the airport and not just multiple circles. Every time I have done this I get a reply within 2 hours and the rep is very helpful in editing the request to unlock the entire area with a single license. I request 6 month periods at a time.

Sure. It is done by the unlock website. login to your dji account. Then select custom unlock.
View attachment 98260

Then follow the form instructions. For justification I put a sentence explaining I was just trying to unlock the Authorization Zone, not the restricted airspace zone (which requires airport approval). And you are forced to attach an image. So I took a screenshot of dji map showing airport authorization zone to have something.

Note-this form requires you to select a point on map and then draw a circle for unlocking. Each time I have done this I have added a note (and followed up with a reply to the email you received when submitted with tracking number of request) stating that I want to unlock all the authorization zone around the airport and not just multiple circles. Every time I have done this I get a reply within 2 hours and the rep is very helpful in editing the request to unlock the entire area with a single license. I request 6 month periods at a time.
Well THANK YOU Dak! You saved me!! I was able to request a Custom Unlock, actually several areas which are in effect for the next year. I received an e-mail back instantly stating the request was received and had a confirmation that the unlock / authorization was granted within 2 minutes. Had to play a bit with the radius, altitude and pinpoint, then synched the authorization zones to the drone. Easy once you get the hang of it. No SMS codes being sent every 2 days! Much Thanks again. Someone should do a video on the steps. Not intuitive.

Glad it helped. Works a charm. I wish dji published this process a bit more, might solve a lot of people that have dislike for the geo fencing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters