DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on GPS Signal

GPS works everywhere there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites.
So it won't work if where the signal is obscured e.g. in a deep cavern, cave or hidden by tall buildings etc.

If you don't have GPS the drone flies in "atti" mode.
From the internet
"A DJI drone will automatically switch to ATTI mode short for Attitude mode when the GPS signal is weak , compass experiences interference or the vision systems are unavailable or disabled. Extra caution needs to be taken when flying in this mode especially in confined spaces as the drone cannot position or brake itself and can increase the risk of potential flight hazards due to the lack of obstacle avoidance. This can result in the drone being affected by environmental conditions such as wind causing the drone to drift horizontally."

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
If I fly my Mavic 2 Pro in a very remote area and has no GPS signal?
Can I fly? What do I do?

Anywhere remote should give you good GPS. Sometimes there can be interference in congested areas like cities. In remote areas, like I fly, I sometimes don't have cellphone data, but that does not stop anything.

The "G" in GPS stands for "Global". One of the design goals that it had to meet is that it must work everywhere from the North Pole to the South Pole and anywhere in between, from the surface to low earth orbit. It doesn't rely on having nearby ground-based infrastructure, so it works well in remote deserts or the middle of large oceans.

It needs a reasonably clear view of the sky to work, so deep canyons or heavy tree cover can block the signal.

Reactions: Thomas B and Meta4
GPS is not quite global in coverage. Extremely high latitudes both north and south don’t have good coverage.

Reactions: 72evenant
Another factor in the Arctic and Antarctic regions is ionospheric activity. The same activity that causes the Northern Lights can interfere with GPS reception.

You might very well have no phone signal in remote areas (I know; I often don't when flying in the mountains) but your phone app and remote control will still work, so yes, you should still be able to fly and control your drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121