DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question re: Less Than .55 Pounds Rules

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
I should know the answer to this but I’m having a brain fart.

I know that drones less than .55 pounds are not required to register with the FAA, but are there any other rules which apply to their operation such as altitude, LOS, operation in non-class G airspace, etc?

I should know the answer to this but I’m having a brain fart.

I know that drones less than .55 pounds are not required to register with the FAA, but are there any other rules which apply to their operation such as altitude, LOS, operation in non-class G airspace, etc?
Except for registration, all the rules apply to UAV weighing less than .55 pounds.

That’s what I thought, thanks. Side question, can you get an airspace authorization if your drone is not registered? My guess is no, but can you register a drone that weighs less than .55 pounds?

That’s what I thought, thanks. Side question, can you get an airspace authorization if your drone is not registered? My guess is no, but can you register a drone that weighs less than .55 pounds?
I think so. My authorizations aren’t tied to an aircraft, they are tied to the applicant. They don’t ask about a UAV. Once authorized you can fly anything under 55 lbs.

Reactions: dawgpilot
What if you buy a used drone from somebody? Do they still own in the 3 year period? Did they register in the first place? Does FAA think somebody is trying to register somebody else's drone? Any way to find out?

What if you buy a used drone from somebody? Do they still own in the 3 year period? Did they register in the first place? Does FAA think somebody is trying to register somebody else's drone? Any way to find out?
The FAA does not register drones for recreational use ... they register the owners.
They don't ask for any details of what drones the owner has.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The FAA does not register drones for recreational use ... they register the owners.
They don't ask for any details of what drones the owner has.
The verbage is a little tricky...you must register anything above .55 pounds for part 107 operation, and if you are supposed to but didn't under some unspecified condition, you'll get the criminal and civil punishment episode. Clear as mud!

The verbage is a little tricky...you must register anything above .55 pounds for part 107 operation, and if you are supposed to but didn't under some unspecified condition, you'll get the criminal and civil punishment episode. Clear as mud!
It's hard to see what's unclear.
The wording is very straightforward.

It's hard to see what's unclear.
The wording is very straightforward.
I can even be recreational with that part 107!

The FAA training thing for part 107 exam, asks about this.

The half pound thing was an answer and so was all drones and a third answer that obviously wasn't it.

It didn't take the half pound answer, it took the all drones answer. Probably because it was a part 107 question.

Hey folks,
There is a huge difference between .55 lbs and 55 lbs.
Blue Skies from Idaho

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada