DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question(s) about warnings

ragter

Reactions
I'm new to DJI and have a MPP. According to my flight logs I have 3h5m flight time. I have owned and operated other drones so I'm not a newbie pilot. I'm looking for some advice on how to respond to some undesirable behavior in flight recently. Here's the story:

I updated the app and firmware. I calibrated the compass per the instructions when the craft hadn't been flown yet. I've been flying all 3 hours in the same area. I tend to have full bars and 17-18 satellites in the area.

When I powered on yesterday, there was a compass warning. I can't remember the exact phrasing and they were not in the logs, but it did not ask me to recalibrate, and after tapping on the the dialogue it went away and did not come back. I then took off, did some testing (flew up/down/sideways, etc) and everything seemed fine. I proceeded to fly for about 20 minutes, set the craft down, let it rest a few minutes, then put battery 2 in. No warnings.

Things went wonky from here.

2:08 into the flight I got a warning for a weak GPS signal. According to the log, it still had contact with 18 but the bars disappeared. Note that at this point in the log, there isn't a pop up/toast about it, just the background says.

2:08 - Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode.

2:09 - Warning: In Flight working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally (it switched to atti for me)

2:12 Warning: Weak GPS signal. Positional accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution.

So, the failures all happened pretty quick. Abnormal flight, check. The gimbal was shaking, there was some yaw, some shake and some shimmy and the craft was drifting. I did keep calm and bring the craft back safely - I had LoS and it was only about 800ft away, though I needed the camera to get my bearings. And guess what, all the systems came back online. I landed, took back off and did some flight testing. All seemed well. I landed and called it a day.

My questions:

a) When I saw those compass warnings, would it have been wise to recalibrate?
b) Was the compass failure even related to the warnings?
c) Was the weak GPS signal responsible?
d) Was it expected that the IMU would fail w/o GPS and compass? I understand that a compass failure shuts down the GPS by design, but what about the IMU?
e) Was this just a fluke or does this type of thing happen often?
f) What, if anything, should I do anything before flying again?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Not an expert here but have read lots of posts and watched many videos. I will offer a couple things. Go into the settings and make sure the Compass and IMU are within tolerance. (No Warnings) I did my calibration just to get familiar after getting similar warnings early on. I wanted to get familiar with the process and haven’t had to calibrate since. It’s been a couple months now. Study every chance you get. There are always opportunities to learn about this wonderful device. Good luck.

Hi I'm having the exact same problems with my MPP. I just got it a few days ago. Took it out of the box, calibrated compass like I saw on their video tutorials. I'm thinking that may have been the mistake. I should've never calibrated it. So I flew it then and had the same issues you described. Landed it, called it a day. Just went out to an open field. There was an empty barn with a metal roof about 100 ft away when I calibrated the compass again. Still had the same problems.

I haven't tried survivor711's advice, have you? Are you still having any problems?

Reflash the firmware and try again. ONLY calibrate the compass and IMU when prompted by the software.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try it ASAP and let you know. Do you mean refresh or rollback? Can you link to instructions on how to do that, please?

Thank you kindly

Dont rollback. Its best to get DJIassist2 on a PC, connect the mavic and let it do its thing. Follow the instructions in DJI Assist2

I tried it, refreshed both the controller and the mavic. Still encountering the same issue. I take off. Hover, move the drone a little and get a Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode.

Reactions: Ed Duda
Ever crashed the drone? Maybe a connector came off inside the drone.

Nope. I took it out of the box and had this problem the first flight. I've only flown it three times and the problem occurs immediately so I basically just hover it around 20 feet away from me. Pretty disappointed.

Here's the simple solution.
Re calibrate your compass. Make certain you are not near the TV, the computer, the microwave, the refrigerator...etc. The calibration is sensitive to any magnetic interference and you may have done it near a magnetic source that caused a problem.

Go outside. Safer and easier.

Then, complete reboot. see what happens.

If problems continue, I would call DJI before i went through a bunch of firmware changs. If it is a new drone, see what the thing.

Here's the simple solution.
Re calibrate your compass. Make certain you are not near the TV, the computer, the microwave, the refrigerator...etc. The calibration is sensitive to any magnetic interference and you may have done it near a magnetic source that caused a problem.

Go outside. Safer and easier.

Then, complete reboot. see what happens.

If problems continue, I would call DJI before i went through a bunch of firmware changs. If it is a new drone, see what the thing.

Also remove any magnetic covers from the device, and make sure you arent wearing a smartwatch when you calibrate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman