DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question: whether a drone is considered a "camera" for Spirits Airline?

travelwithicey

Reactions
Hi all! I am going to take my Air 2S with me to Utah, and I fly Spirits Airline. They have a policy that you can carry one "personal item" such as a backpack, and additional items like cameras. Whether my drone would be considered a camera? Thank you!

From this page:
"One personal item is included with your fare. This is something like a laptop bag or purse smaller than 18"x14"x8"."

Whether my drone would be considered a camera?
I don't think they care whether or not the item is a camera, purse, backpack, drone, etc. As long as it's legal to take on a plane and it fits within a 18"x14"x8" box, you can carry it on.

And if you have any doubts, you should of course call Spirit for help.

Hi all! I am going to take my Air 2S with me to Utah, and I fly Spirits Airline. They have a policy that you can carry one "personal item" such as a backpack, and additional items like cameras. Whether my drone would be considered a camera? Thank you!
Probably not, however your going to have to carry your Air2S on whether it costs you or not, because you cannot pack the batteries for your drone in checked luggage thats going to be stowed in the baggage compartment., Battery operated devices need to be in carry on bags...

If you have a backpack that will allow your drone to be packed safely, you may get that onboard with perhaps one other personal item. Not sure however, Spirit Air does not let much get aboard without some fee.

Traveled recently myself, and they wanted people to check bags to save space onboard while at the gate.. Part of the announcement was to remove items from those bags that contain batteries, though generally they mean lithium based batteries devices like your Air 2S uses (and most all drones probably) as well as cell phones and other lithium based battery devices..

What you can carry on depends too on the fare you booked, with their bare fare baggage allowance is different than with other fares probably.

Last edited:
If you take the props off it would be ‘stand alone’. I can’t see any problems with Spirit getting over zealous on this regulation. 👍

Take the props off, attach a lanyard and hang it around your neck :).

I suspect if you carry it separately there isn't much they can or will say. But the "spirit" of their regulation, I believe, has to do with women carrying purses. But here's a suggestion that might serve you in multiple ways: Get a sling pack. I got one for Fathers Day and I go few places without it now. It can hold a ton of stuff. I know your Air2s would fit in it and some as well as some other small items. I've used it to carry my Mini 2, with RCN1 controller, batteries and accessories. It doesn't offer a lot of proection, but it's convenient and comfortable. If you have this slung around your body it would be hard to challenge you as your comeback would be that you don't see them asking women not to bring their purses on board. The sling bag is your "extra item" as it can remain attached to you throughout the flight.

I love my sling bag. No more keys, wallet, junk in my pockets. There are two pouches for drinks on the sides. I have my EDC knife mounted on the front flap where I have quick access to it. I can use it for other purposes as well with the proper "insert". It's smaller than it looks in the picture and when empty is very flat, but can expand quite a bit.

Sling bag

1662232426692.png

Take the props off, attach a lanyard and hang it around your neck :).

I suspect if you carry it separately there isn't much they can or will say. But the "spirit" of their regulation, I believe, has to do with women carrying purses. But here's a suggestion that might serve you in multiple ways: Get a sling pack. I got one for Fathers Day and I go few places without it now. It can hold a ton of stuff. I know your Air2s would fit in it and some as well as some other small items. I've used it to carry my Mini 2, with RCN1 controller, batteries and accessories. It doesn't offer a lot of proection, but it's convenient and comfortable. If you have this slung around your body it would be hard to challenge you as your comeback would be that you don't see them asking women not to bring their purses on board. The sling bag is your "extra item" as it can remain attached to you throughout the flight.

I love my sling bag. No more keys, wallet, junk in my pockets. There are two pouches for drinks on the sides. I have my EDC knife mounted on the front flap where I have quick access to it. I can use it for other purposes as well with the proper "insert". It's smaller than it looks in the picture and when empty is very flat, but can expand quite a bit.

Sling bag

View attachment 154253
That looks such a cool bag to carry stuff around. Checked it out on Amazon U.K. and it‘s not cheap £23.99 (with the dollar so strong against the £ that’s about $21)! What does it cost in the US?

Looks like $23.99 delivered in the US, so not expensive. That brand has a lot of options.

From this page:
"One personal item is included with your fare. This is something like a laptop bag or purse smaller than 18"x14"x8"."

I don't think they care whether or not the item is a camera, purse, backpack, drone, etc. As long as it's legal to take on a plane and it fits within a 18"x14"x8" box, you can carry it on.

And if you have any doubts, you should of course call Spirit for help.
Yes. Calling the source for facts is always better than forum opinions.

That looks such a cool bag to carry stuff around. Checked it out on Amazon U.K. and it‘s not cheap £23.99 (with the dollar so strong against the £ that’s about $21)! What does it cost in the US?
I paid $24USD via Amazon. It's worth every penny. The story behind my acquisision of it is that I need a Fathers Day gift for my son-in-law and got one for him. When it came I liked it so well I ordered one for myself. I rarely go anywhere without it any more. I don't have to carry wallet or keys or phone in my pockets any more.

FWIW it can be worn in the front or the back like a sling backpack. It's a great small day pack.

I paid $24USD via Amazon. It's worth every penny. The story behind my acquisision of it is that I need a Fathers Day gift for my son-in-law and got one for him. When it came I liked it so well I ordered one for myself. I rarely go anywhere without it any more. I don't have to carry wallet or keys or phone in my pockets any more.

FWIW it can be worn in the front or the back like a sling backpack. It's a great small day pack.
Yep saw that. The Amazon site has a good video on how it is used and worn. We have a store here called Decathlon and I have a small backpack from there that was £15 but it is not a sling type, double straps. It might hold my MA2. Will give it a try.

Have you contacted the airline? It doesn't matter what anybody here says, only what the airline says.
There have been a couple comments like this and to actually reach a live person that may actually be able to answer questions about "baggage" is easier said than done. And most of them, if you got someone, would say look at their web site. There are of course travel sites that discuss this too, and these things change so routinely, its difficult at best to get straight answers..

There have been been posts on travel sites about zealous gate staff having people places bags in those bag sizers and charging fees or checking bags that also get charged, on low cost airlines, and assuming that the traveler is not making it up, the bag was clearly within the guidelines for carry on... it depends on the day, flight, and who knows what...

Sure anyone can say anything on posting, and they maybe right or wrong, but sometimes the airline doesn't care and may try and ding you anyway... I usually try to avoid low cost airlines, the fares are tempting, but get easily out-weighed by the hassles and discomfort and poor service of flying them.

There have been a couple comments like this and to actually reach a live person that may actually be able to answer questions about "baggage" is easier said than done. And most of them, if you got someone, would say look at their web site. There are of course travel sites that discuss this too, and these things change so routinely, its difficult at best to get straight answers..

There have been been posts on travel sites about zealous gate staff having people places bags in those bag sizers and charging fees or checking bags that also get charged, on low cost airlines, and assuming that the traveler is not making it up, the bag was clearly within the guidelines for carry on... it depends on the day, flight, and who knows what...

Sure anyone can say anything on posting, and they maybe right or wrong, but sometimes the airline doesn't care and may try and ding you anyway... I usually try to avoid low cost airlines, the fares are tempting, but get easily out-weighed by the hassles and discomfort and poor service of flying them.
So you think that posts on travel sites about individual gate staff that have nothing to do with gate staff at every other gate in the world is relevant? All rationalizations aside someone from the airline still knows more than anyone on this site. Not liking me pointing out the obvious doesn't make what I said less true.

So you think that posts on travel sites about individual gate staff that have nothing to do with gate staff at every other gate in the world is relevant? All rationalizations aside someone from the airline still knows more than anyone on this site. Not liking me pointing out the obvious doesn't make what I said less true.
Defensive much? Baggage on low cost airlines is a crapshoot, you may get your drone bag on without a fee, but pay for some other small carry on you have or get wind up getting it as checked baggage. Its really not worth arguing about, in every case, you'll find out when you try and board whether you have more than is allowed and how much they'll ding you for it.

Sure it would be nice to be completely aware of what will happen with your baggage before you get to the airport, but that is not always the case. Since you have to carry on your drone because of the batteries, If you get charged a fee because you've got more than the airline will allow, or they think your main carry on is too big, thats the way it goes... The Airline's website usually spells it out, though somehow they manage to make it not very clear.

Generally. I've been lucky I guess the few times I flew on low cost airlines, I never had a big deal with luggage. Had a relatively crappy experience not related to luggage that made me decide to avoid them and fly other airlines, and thats worked pretty well, though seating assignment costs on some airlines is really ridiculous. Some how the closer you get to the front before 1st class can add almost $100 to the cost of a seat and the most you get from that maybe is more leg room and a quicker exit.

Defensive much? Baggage on low cost airlines is a crapshoot, you may get your drone bag on without a fee, but pay for some other small carry on you have or get wind up getting it as checked baggage. Its really not worth arguing about, in every case, you'll find out when you try and board whether you have more than is allowed and how much they'll ding you for it.

Sure it would be nice to be completely aware of what will happen with your baggage before you get to the airport, but that is not always the case. Since you have to carry on your drone because of the batteries, If you get charged a fee because you've got more than the airline will allow, or they think your main carry on is too big, thats the way it goes... The Airline's website usually spells it out, though somehow they manage to make it not very clear.

Generally. I've been lucky I guess the few times I flew on low cost airlines, I never had a big deal with luggage. Had a relatively crappy experience not related to luggage that made me decide to avoid them and fly other airlines, and thats worked pretty well, though seating assignment costs on some airlines is really ridiculous. Some how the closer you get to the front before 1st class can add almost $100 to the cost of a seat and the most you get from that maybe is more leg room and a quicker exit.
You are the one being defensive simply because I am not buying into what you are saying. Nobody said anything about arguing other than you.

The specific question by the OP is "They have a policy that you can carry one "personal item" such as a backpack, and additional items like cameras. Whether my drone would be considered a camera?" You don't know the answer. Someone from the Airline does.

Regarding Spirit airlines, if you don’t buy a ticket with carryon bag then you only get 1 personal item like a backpack for free. If you are carrying your bare drone in you hand you should be ok. If it’s in a bag, you are taking your chances. I watched the gate attendant pulling people out of line with a 2nd bag and forcing them to pay for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh