DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question, with an android phone that is connected to a windows computer is there ........

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
a way to force the phone to use the computer's internet connection to log into, and out of, the fly app? This, of course, would be with the phone's WiFi switched off.

Alternatively is there a reliable WiFi traffic monitor for android that can display and measure the amount of traffic going to and coming from the internet ?

For reference the phones are Samsung S6.
I could also use a 5S iPhone but obviously that's not Android

Maybe. There are programs that allow you to access your computer from anywhere via the web. It makes sense then that you would be able to connect to your PC via your phone using such a program. Remote PC uses a browser, so I would think any device with browser capabilities would work.

Outside of that, PC Mag has a tutorial on how to connect the two:
How to Remotely Access a PC From Your iPhone or Android Device

Is there a way to force the phone to use the computer's internet connection to log into, and out of, the fly app? This, of course, would be with the phone's WiFi switched off.
No, there isn't.
You can connect and view or move files through the computer, you can open the Fly app as far as viewing your profile etc, but you cannot sign in or out of your DJI account.

Maybe. There are programs that allow you to access your computer from anywhere via the web. It makes sense then that you would be able to connect to your PC via your phone using such a program. Remote PC uses a browser, so I would think any device with browser capabilities would work.

Outside of that, PC Mag has a tutorial on how to connect the two:
How to Remotely Access a PC From Your iPhone or Android Device
Thank for the reply but that's sort of the reverse of what I want to do, i have actually sort of done at times what you suggest and used the phones wifi to connect the computer to the internet . But the aim of this thread was to see if I could use the windows network monitor to see the the amount of traffic being sent and received by the phone whilst the fly app was logging inn and out. I think it is minimal which means very little data is passed to DJI.

Being able to see that might quell the fears/paranoia of some people.
From the few log syncs I have done it seems to take quite a while to send or receive the logs bring synced but seeing the actual transmission rates would be much more informative.

Last edited:
No, there isn't..........but you cannot sign in or out of your DJI account.
Thanks for the reply but that's not quite what I was asking, the intention was to, on the phone, log in or out of the app but use the windows network monitor to see the data transmission rates during the log in/out process.

Thanks for the reply but that's not quite what I was asking, the intention was to, on the phone, log in or out of the app but use the windows network monitor to see the data transmission rates during the log in/out process.
Maybe you need to reread my reply.
I tried and was unable to login or out of the app with the tablet (in airplane mode) connected to the computer.

a way to force the phone to use the computer's internet connection to log into, and out of, the fly app? This, of course, would be with the phone's WiFi switched off.

Alternatively is there a reliable WiFi traffic monitor for android that can display and measure the amount of traffic going to and coming from the internet ?

For reference the phones are Samsung S6.
I could also use a 5S iPhone but obviously that's not Android
Look for a safe and reliable VPN app for Android that has traffic monitoring. That would be able to monitor the network traffic going in and out of Android.

Maybe you need to reread my reply.
I read it carefully the first, second and third time, to me it seemed to be suggesting that you were talking about logging in, somehow, on the copmputer.
I tried and was unable to login or out of the app with the tablet (in airplane mode) connected to the computer.
that would , I think, have been better if in post 3.

Look for a safe and reliable VPN app for Android that has traffic monitoring. That would be able to monitor the network traffic going in and out of Android.
Thanks but I know absolutely nothing about VPNs, any recommendations for a safe and reliable one ? This would be a very little used thing so it would be better if it were free.

Hmmmm I have an after market router somewhere that is of a descent make, I don't remember if it was cable only but if it included wifi I am wondering if it can show data rates lol 🤔🤔🤔

I've read your question multiple times and answered it twice already to be told that I hadn't answered your question.
Perhaps this time it will be clear enough for you?
Is there a way to force the phone to use the computer's internet connection to log into, and out of, the fly app? This, of course, would be with the phone's WiFi switched off.
NO

Lets say you got the components soldered and installed on the phone ( no way that's gonna happen even if the stuff existed. (it don't) Have you shopped around for Cat 6 lately at almost a dollar a foot you aint going far without a travel trailer or some kind of crazy generator/computer trailer.
Why would you want to do something like that? Bigger monitors perhaps-- If that's the case they have products for that now, Check out Cosmostreamer! Sorry about the awful "Star is born" type music. not my video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks but I know absolutely nothing about VPNs, any recommendations for a safe and reliable one ? This would be a very little used thing so it would be better if it were free.
I would start by searching with best vpn for android - Google Search and reading the articles posted by reputable sites. When I need a VPN, I run OpenVPN on a home server and use the OpenVPN client on my phone, but that would be overkill for what you want.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lets say you got the components soldered and installed on the phone ( no way that's gonna happen even if the stuff existed. (it don't) Have you shopped around for Cat 6 lately at almost a dollar a foot you aint going far without a travel trailer or some kind of crazy generator/computer trailer.
Why would you want to do something like that? Bigger monitors perhaps-- If that's the case they have products for that now, Check out Cosmostreamer! Sorry about the awful "Star is born" type music. not my video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Uum did you post this in the correct thread ? 🤔

Reactions: Cafguy
Uum did you post this in the correct thread ? 🤔
In order to access the computers connection you would have to hard wire the phone to the router with I guess cat6? and I can see no useful reason to do it other than monitor size.
If its for some sort of data or survey can't you put the data into a "computer" after the flight -no need for a direct connection. They have a solution for the monitor thing now without trying to do the almost impossible. I just thought I would let you know that .
Why do you want to use the router in your home? I am just curious....... indoor flying?
:)

Why do you want to use the router in your home? I am just curious....... indoor flying?
:)
Ah ok, thanks.

With the current whoha about data transmission to China and people "kicking up stink" about 'tracking' whilst logging into the app after a time-out log out, I was just enquiring whether or not it is possible to see how much data is transmitted whilst logging into the app etc..
If there's very little then there can't be much information transmiited, so little threat.

The question about the router stems from a vague recollection of a mate's Mrs being able to access quite a bit of information on their router/internet-connector thing.
That I know of I can not do that on mine but since I have a router, left over from a different set up, and that router is of a decent make, it occurred to me that I might be able to connect that into my network and perhaps read transmission rates etc..
I have the appropriate LAN cables.

Reactions: Cafguy
Ah ok, thanks.

With the current whoha about data transmission to China and people "kicking up stink" about 'tracking' whilst logging into the app after a time-out log out, I was just enquiring whether or not it is possible to see how much data is transmitted whilst logging into the app etc..
If there's very little then there can't be much information transmiited, so little threat.

The question about the router stems from a vague recollection of a mate's Mrs being able to access quite a bit of information on their router/internet-connector thing.
That I know of I can not do that on mine but since I have a router, left over from a different set up, and that router is of a decent make, it occurred to me that I might be able to connect that into my network and perhaps read transmission rates etc..
I have the appropriate LAN cables.
Assuming you had routed your phone's Internet connection through your router, and you had software installed to monitor the traffic, and you knew what traffic to look for; you would not be able to parse the data. It would be very likely that the DJI GO/GO4 apps are using HTTPS connections instead of HTTP connections. Data going over HTTPS is encrypted in transit, a monitoring tool could see a port connection, but the data would be unreadable by the tool.

Or you could save the aggravation of setting up a test network and look at one of the reports that concluded that DJI keeps the user data private. Like this one: Independent Study Validates DJI Data Security Practices - DJI For that study, DJI gave the researchers access to their source so that they could see what data would be sent over the wire.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rometexas