DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question

Unsub

Reactions
Quick question, if I use litchi do I still have to ask DJI for permission to fly in a wide open barren desert, or does DJI still require it. Also if I am 60 miles from the nearest airport, and 50 miles from the nearest house, in the middle of nowhere, why do I have to ask permission to fly my drone. I am 53 years old and already have a dad. DJI you are not my parent.

You don't have to ask DJI for permission. There's a check of position against a list of restricted / prohibited areas and if you are in one, that you go through any required steps before flying. It's fair to assume apps written with their SDK do the same.

You're 53 ? You've heard the saying "Growing old is mandatory , growing up is optional" ? If you don't understand why geofencing gives greater freedom to drone pilots who only want to fly in safe airspace, or how people who think it is their god-given right to fly anywhere they please are harmful to the rest of the community you might be better suited to other activities.
As for already having a Dad you know Mark Twain's “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” Some of us pass 50 without learning parental advice not to do something is right more often than it is wrong.

Even DJI said they don’t know why area is restricted but they have the right to block any location they want

You don't have to ask DJI for permission. There's a check of position against a list of restricted / prohibited areas and if you are in one, that you go through any required steps before flying. It's fair to assume apps written with their SDK do the same.

You're 53 ? You've heard the saying "Growing old is mandatory , growing up is optional" ? If you don't understand why geofencing gives greater freedom to drone pilots who only want to fly in safe airspace, or how people who think it is their god-given right to fly anywhere they please are harmful to the rest of the community you might be better suited to other activities.
As for already having a Dad you know Mark Twain's “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” Some of us pass 50 without learning parental advice not to do something is right more often than it is wrong.
I was not just trying to fly just anywhere I want, I was in a wide open area of dessert I can see for many miles it is perfectly flat, no trees or any other obstructions, the uav forecast shows no restrictions, safe to fly. I fire up drone it says need permission, I ask DJI why, and even they said they have no idea why it is stated, but also said they have right to block anywhere they want. Also it is a place I have flown many times, it is where I go to test and practice, only just DJI decided to block for no reason at all.

They have the ability to block any area. They have a duty to block anything they understand to be restricted.

They make the same errors as anyone else, so sometimes people can fly into an area which should have been blocked. Sometimes things get blocked which you should be able to fly in.

They have the ability to block any area. They have a duty to block anything they understand to be restricted.

They make the same errors as anyone else, so sometimes people can fly into an area which should have been blocked. Sometimes things get blocked which you should be able to fly in.

Attachments

• 210BD7DB-4DA5-45E7-9878-26B403B6D92F.jpeg
    210BD7DB-4DA5-45E7-9878-26B403B6D92F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
only just DJI decided to block for no reason at all.

Well obviously someone sitting in China did not just pick your chosen testing area and stick a block on it. Something was supplied to them saying an area should be blocked off and giving a reason. Maybe they won't share it with you - although this DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography shows me all the blocked areas and why they are blocked.

Either there is a legitimate reason for not flying there which they know and you don't, or they've made an error. However when pilots choose to fly where they are told they should not, because they know better, the results are often bad ones.

Reactions: BigAl07
Quick question, if I use litchi do I still have to ask DJI for permission to fly in a wide open barren desert, or does DJI still require it. Also if I am 60 miles from the nearest airport, and 50 miles from the nearest house, in the middle of nowhere, why do I have to ask permission to fly my drone. I am 53 years old and already have a dad. DJI you are not my parent.

IIRC Litchi uses the same database etc from DJI or at one point they did. I was flying legally in a restricted zone and both DJI and Litchi restricted me from firing up the motors. I switched to a Non-DJI aircraft and flew the job and got the $$.

Dad or not you always have the option to NOT purchase a product with the added safety features/controls as DJI. Vote with your $$.

I fire up drone it says need permission, I ask DJI why, and even they said they have no idea why it is stated
The area looks like this in GEO:

1596647020938.png
There is an airport an 2 prisons in that area.

I was not just trying to fly just anywhere I want, I was in a wide open area of dessert I can see for many miles it is perfectly flat, no trees or any other obstructions, the uav forecast shows no restrictions, safe to fly. I fire up drone it says need permission, I ask DJI why, and even they said they have no idea why it is stated, but also said they have right to block anywhere they want. Also it is a place I have flown many times, it is where I go to test and practice, only just DJI decided to block for no reason at all.

UAV Forecast isn't in the "Airspace" game. I'd be very careful about where I get my Airspace information and I would NOT rely on UAV Forecast obviously. They missed this one apparently.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The Geo database is actually on the drone so it doesn’t really matter what app you use.

Reactions: BigAl07

Per the location of your screen shot, you're roughly 12-15 miles (depending on where you're actually standing) from Controlled Airspace of McCarran International. While that has no bearing on your "issue" it does not match up with your "60 miles from nearest airport" comment.

Maybe you "accidentally" stumbled upon Area 52...? ;P

As far as I know UAV forcast is basically a weather app. You should check something like Airmap or B4UFLY apps to see if there are any restrictions before you fly. DJI flysafe database doesn't care about the weather, they only check if you are in safe airspace. At least that's been my experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake