Join Us Now

Questions about setting (and reporting of) the RTH point

bheiser1

Premium Pilot
Reactions
the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in California
Site
billheiserphoto.com
I’ve noticed something I should ask about, as I think it’s really important to get this right. This is with a M2P and the SC, both about a month old, with about 8 1/2 hrs flight time.

As part of my preflight procwas, I routinely check & wait for at least 11 satellites, then press the Position text to open the settings. I then scroll to the Home Point buttons and press the home location one. Sometimes the voice then tells me the home point has been updated. Other times it doesn’t. But it does look correct on the map (when I have a map). While in there I also verify the RTH Altitude setting based on my surroundings. I always leave “RTH at current altitude” off.

Then as part of my takeoff routine I (almost always) take off manually (I use auto takeoff only to demo to friends to show them what it can do). I climb to ~30 ft and hover for a few seconds to let it “get its bearings” to ensure it knows where to return to if it needs to on its own. Sometimes during this ascent, I get the voice telling me the home point has been updated.

I’m concerned about the inconsistent voice notification when I update the RTH point, and about hearing the Home Point update during flight. Are these concerns warranted? Am I doing something wrong? (Also as a curiosity I don’t know why the log says I used “assisted takeoff” when I took off manually). Here it reported the home point 10s into the flight.

AF626224-DC84-4BC2-9939-1453EF188EEC.jpeg

you should just be able to hear the message when the ac has enough sats locked for take off then when you have the message and all is well then either use the take off icon on the screen or do sticks down and in or out and after motors start then put in up stick and go up to 30ft wait a few seconds and then go fly

I occasionally don’t hear the message, but hovering at 5-10’ for 10-20 seconds has proven reliable in getting a home point recorded... as long as I have 10 or more satellites in proper spatial arrangements. It has been a bit dicey when I was taking off and landing in a narrow gorge that was deep (like 1000’ deep), but got the satellites on ascending. My problem was initial lack of adequate view of the sky.

Return home point is based on GPS, that part doesn't require any specific take off profile and landing precision can vary by a number of feet. On the M2 P/Z, if you want Precision Landing, if there is adequate ground detail, or a marked spot, and with sufficient illumination (landing light is not enough), the procedure is to climb straight up (no movement of right stick) for at least 7 meters (roughly 23 feet). Then you can proceed on course with no hovering pause required. The M2 will RTH, then while descending to land, will auto-correct based on the downward looking camera. Landing will be within a few inches of take off spot.

Unlike previous models, Precision landing is the default on the M2, no menu selection required.

Reactions: old man mavic
I suspect the auditory/text message about home point updated gets preempted by other activities so it's announced late or not at all, even though it is set. If you see the H on the map, you're good.

Reactions: sarniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun