DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions from a soon to be new pilot….

kevguy

Reactions
I just purchased a Mini 3 Pro off Amazon. I have some questions:

1. If you live in a winter cold climate, do you fly in winter or do you park your drone until spring? I live in Canada where we get lots of snow and cold. I’m wondering if its still fun to fly while freezing your butt off?

2. Do you or can you fly in the rain? Can a mini 3 pro fly in the rain? Can it get wet?

3. Do you fly inside your house for fun or practice. Is this a good idea even?

4. If you live urban (i.e. in a neighborhood) do you ever take your drone for a zip around the neighborhood?

5. Do you just fly sometimes without ever taking photos or videos? You know, just fly as if it were a RC plane or helicopter?

TIA.

K

Last edited:
2) I wouldn't deliberately fly in the rain, others do. But I guess it is inevitable that at some point the drone is going to get caught in a shower. The danger is corrosion of the electronics in the innards. If it does get wet, dry the outside off, I have actuall sucked on the tops of the motors to hopefully pull any water in there out. Then stick the drone somewhere warm and dry for a couple of days.

3) Yes you can especially with small drones, others will say don't.
I do quite often, I've flown a Mavic Mini or perhaps a Mini 2 or both through my European house along, the upstairs landing, up/down the stairwell and through three normal width single doorways all without GPS.
The room/house NEEDS to be well lit and have a good, distinctive floor covering etc. because the drone is almost certainly going to be relying on the downwards looking VPS sensors for position holding and braking and they need good light and a distinctive floor pattern to do so.
GENTLE stick movements are a must and stay away from the walls and ceiling, the drone will tend to suck into walls and up to the ceiling if you get too close. The bigger the drone the greater the down draught so don't fly it over any of the boss's knick knacks otherwise the dog may be enjoying your dinner for the next few weks.

Last edited:

1. If you live in a winter cold climate, do you fly in winter or do you park your drone until spring? I live in Canada where we get lots of snow and cold. I’m wondering if its still fun to fly while freezing your butt off?

2. Do you or can you fly in the rain? Can a mini 3 pro fly in the rain? Can it get wet?

3. Do you fly inside your house for fun or practice. Is this a good idea even?

4. If you live rural (i.e. in a neighborhood) do you ever take your drone for a zip around the neighborhood?

5. Do you just fly sometimes without ever taking photos or videos? You know, just fly as if it were a RC plane or helicopter?

TIA.

K
1, Yes, but there are limits. I wouldn't go out at -15 or colder, but up to that (down?), sure.

2. Check out @Phantomrain.org here on the forum. He sells rain suits for drones. I don't have one myself (yet), but from what I've seen and heard they work extremely well. Without the suit...never.

3. I have flown inside the house, but don't do it anymore. It's a recipe for disaster because without GPS, it's hard to control. I won't bother talking about ATTI mode , that's all ya need to know for now. There is FAR more to be gained from going outside. Find a field nearby with no trees, and have at it!

4. A neighborhood is urban, rural is out in the country. ;) I have flown a few times in my hood with my M3P only, because I'm not too far from the airport. I'm not on a flight path though, but I prefer to avoid the potential hassles from people thinking it's not allowed.

5. I have, but to me it's more fun shooting video or pics. That said, if you're just learning, that is a good way to get started. It's one thing to fly it, it's another to control the camera while you're flying it. Master the flying and the camera should be easy.

Last edited:
1, Yes, but there are limits. I wouldn't go out at -15 or colder, but up to that (down?), sure.

2. Check out @Phantomrain.org here on the forum. He sells rain suits for drones. I don't have one myself (yet), but from what I've seen and heard they work extremely well. Without the suit...never.

3. I have flown inside the house, but don't do it anymore. It's a recipe for disaster because without GPS, it's hard to control. I won't bother talking about ATTI mode , that's all ya need to know for now. There is FAR more to be gained from going outside. Find a field nearby with no trees, and have at it!

4. A neighborhood is urban, rural is out in the country. ;) I have flown a few times in my hood with my M3P only, because I'm not too far from the airport. I'm not on a flight path though, but I prefer to avoid the potential hassles from people thinking it's not allowed.

5. I have, but to me it's more fun shooting video or pics. That said, if you're just learning, that is a good way to get started. It's one thing to fly it, it's another to control the camera while you're flying it. Master the flying and the camera should be easy.
You a correct….I messed up urban/rural.

I live in Canada and I have flown as cold as minus 31 C. Trust me, your aircraft will be fine and will outlast your fingers in cold weather.
Also keep in mind, that to fly legally here you must be flying according to the manufacturer specs so check the approved flight temps for your aircraft in the specs.

TIA.
I think its more than fair to say you can fly in the Rain witih the Mini 3 Wet Suit and or Snow.
Keep in mind that all most all the flying we do in the Rain / Storm / Monsoon we do the flying from inside the car , something you want to learn how to do.

Without A Wet Suit your drone wont last 3 minutes in the Rain before the ESC and Sensors burn out.

Heavy Rain starts at 9:54 into the video as you can not see how hard its raining when im flying in the Air at night.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mini 3 in the Rain.

The word “rain” and flying cameras are not a good mix. May depend on how deep your wallet is.

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is prop guards if you want to fly indoors. I’m not recommending indoor flight, but if you do, they could help prevent something ugly from happening. 🙀
If you do decide to fly indoors, pay close attention to the advice from Yorkshire in response #2 above.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is prop guards if you want to fly indoors. I’m not recommending indoor flight, but if you do, they could help prevent something ugly from happening. 🙀
If you do decide to fly indoors, pay close attention to the advice from Yorkshire in response #2 above.
I think I’m leaning away from flying inside due to probably not having a gps connection to help guide my flying…

Reactions: Dbez1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13