DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick shot with no signal

KiloMeater

Reactions
If I initiate a quick shot which will take the drone behind a building resulting to loss of VLOS , will the drone stop upon disconnect and initiate RTH or will it complete the dronie move and return to initial spot which will clearly bring is in VLOS ans re establish connection ?

Yes I understand that but I wonder if it needs connection to remote while performing an automated quick shot

Yes I understand that but I wonder if it needs connection to remote while performing an automated quick shot

"VLOS" is Visual Line of Sight. Completely unrelated to "signal."

Unless you're talking about some object or mountain range that blocks both, anyway.

I am talking about a building getting between me holding the controller and the drone performing an automated maneuver, resulting to a guaranteed disconnect .
I will not be able to see it at the moment that is why I used VLOS but drop the term if it causes confusion.

Whenever you lose signal, the drone will initiate RTH or hover if set in the settings. It will not continue to perform the quickshot.

I think the question could be rephrased as "Doing a quick shot is the drone doing it by itself or is the app controlling the manoeuvre".
If there was still controller to drone signal (no need to RTH) but the app crashed, would the drone finish the quick shot or would it stop and wait for instructions.
Whether it is doing a quick shot or anything else if the signal is lost for long enough (11 secs on mine, may vary) the drone will do whatever the failsafe setting says it should do (RTH, Hover, or Land).

Interesting variation, whether the app is doing the quick shot or the drone itself....
If the latter , would it keep the quick shot trajectory during those 11 seconds or stop and wait....?

after SDK release and us becoming aware of how virtual stick works (ie Dronelink) vs loaded missions on the drone, I doubt the quickshot will be interrupted if signal is temporarily lost ; the quickshot seems to be loaded to the drone instead of a constant stream of directions from the controller.

after SDK release and us becoming aware of how virtual stick works (ie Dronelink) vs loaded missions on the drone, I doubt the quickshot will be interrupted if signal is temporarily lost ; the quickshot seems to be loaded to the drone instead of a constant stream of directions from the controller.
I've just been on another thread talking about that (maybe you have too?). The mini doesn't support uploaded instructions. We still don't know if the quickshot is something the drone knows how to do and the controller says "so a quick shot with these settings", or if the app is driving everything - I think it is more likely to be app.

I've just been on another thread talking about that (maybe you have too?). The mini doesn't support uploaded instructions. We still don't know if the quickshot is something the drone knows how to do and the controller says "so a quick shot with these settings", or if the app is driving everything - I think it is more likely to be app.

indeed we dont know, and out of curiosity I would very much like to find out at some point :)

at this point I would bet the limited MM quickshots are firmware supported exposed functions with a few input parameters
having seen how the drone behaves when performing app driven orbit (=DroneLink implementation) I doubt it could achieve such a smooth trajectory as observed in the DJI circle quickshot unless controlled autonomously
It could be the case DJI just did a better implementation on the app driven orbit but based on what I have seen so far I doubt it.

indeed we dont know, and out of curiosity I would very much like to find out at some point :)

It could be the case DJI just did a better implementation on the app driven orbit but based on what I have seen so far I doubt it.
:)
It would be same code to calculate the path and what the control inputs need to be to get it, it could run on the drone's processor (controller sends a centre point and a radius) or on the phone's processor (controller sends continuous yaw/roll values) or even on the controller's processor. Easy to test by keeping the drone in sight and unplugging the phone cable during the manoeuvre .

at this point I would bet the limited MM quickshots are firmware supported exposed functions with a few input parameters
having seen how the drone behaves when performing app driven orbit (=DroneLink implementation) I doubt it could achieve such a smooth trajectory as observed in the DJI circle quickshot unless controlled autonomously
Furthermore, I think it's almost certain that the QuickShots use the on-chip object recognition and tracking functions that are used to implement another on-board function: ActiveTrack.

Furthermore, I think it's almost certain that the QuickShots use the on-chip object recognition and tracking functions that are used to implement another on-board function: ActiveTrack.
I wonder if
(a) The mini's lack of active track means it doesn't have the this ability in hardware
(b) The change of app was to put other quick shot functions into the phones.

YouTube videos show subjects moving and being tracked during maneuvers like Circle Shot as long as they don’t move too quickly out of frame, so it seems clear that the Mini is capable of tracking. It can’t be much of a leap from that to an active track function.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom