DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick video flying close to powerlines

And when I walk under a power line, my watch start running backward.
I build and work with power stations and high voltage powerlines for the last 20 years. Never mention any effect. Except on my bank account

Please, don't get paranoid
Good one! And now that you mention it, the CEO of Intel, Andy Grove said, "Only the paranoid survive."

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
And when I walk under a power line, my watch start running backward.
I build and work with power stations and high voltage powerlines for the last 20 years. Never mention any effect. Except on my bank account

Please, don't get paranoid
We have had verified cases where power lines caused issues. That's not paranoia.

I like the first part of your video. Specially where the train comes out of the cold mist. Really special

There were 3 power (common four three phase power), arranged in a triangle as they went from pole to pole. I flew my brand new Phantom 4, between all the lines in sport mode (TOTALLY BY ACCIDENT). I was not pleased. Lucky.

As a photographer and videographer for a medium-size power company, I did not enjoy this video footage, or any videos of hobbyists flying too close to power lines. If you are licensed and hired as a high-voltage power line inspector, I would not have any issues with that. For hobbyists like most of us, causing a power outage, regardless how skillful you are, or who is at fault (wind, birds, hunters shooting at your drone), can have significant impact on the grid, customers, and businesses. It also takes a lot of resources to locate the damage(s) and restore power, not to mention giving UAVs pilots a bad name!

I am sure most of you don't agree with my opinion, but from a power company's perspective, please fly safe and keep the rest of the general public safe as well.

Thank you.

As a photographer and videographer for a medium-size power company, I did not enjoy this video footage, or any videos of hobbyists flying too close to power lines. If you are licensed and hired as a high-voltage power line inspector, I would not have any issues with that. For hobbyists like most of us, causing a power outage, regardless how skillful you are, or who is at fault (wind, birds, hunters shooting at your drone), can have significant impact on the grid, customers, and businesses. It also takes a lot of resources to locate the damage(s) and restore power, not to mention giving UAVs pilots a bad name!

I am sure most of you don't agree with my opinion, but from a power company's perspective, please fly safe and keep the rest of the general public safe as well.

Thank you.

Although I understand your point of view.... Powerlines are strong enough to hold a couple of men with full gear and tools. A small drone does not cause a trip.

Again, I didn't expect a lot of people to agree with me. A small tree limb falling on a power line can cause can short on a circuit.

Just think about someone in the OR being operated on, or some old folks with oxygen machines to keep them alive, or business owners losing customers because there is no power at their businesses due to a power outage by a drone. I don't mind taking risks, but not at the expense of others.

Just check out these:

Mountain View: Drone crash knocks out power to 1,600
Drone causes power outage after flying into power line in Moore, OK > Helicopter Association International
A Power Outage In Silicon Valley Was Caused By A Drone Crash - Slashdot
Drone CRASH triggers Hollywood BLACKOUT

Reactions: radman
Wow, those powerline videos are enough to make your hair stand on end...

sorry ...

We use a Phantom at work (power utility) to inspect voltages up to 230kV. The pilot crashed it when he got between two phases on one of the circuits. He claimed it just lost control. Another time the aircraft shot up on its own but he regained control. For what it costs, the Phantom does OK near the transmission lines but to see what you need to, you have to get way too close. Whether or not a small drone should be near lines depends on a few things. First you need to be certified to be that close in the first place...at least in the US. Then you can have days where weather can make a difference and might affect the drone. The chance of cross phasing a transmission line with a small drone is probably null, but if it hits the line hard enough you might damage the wire. Most lines are not covered and looking for broken strands is just one of the things you look for during a line patrol. The fix is very expensive. I'd say most people would not think of a drone flying close to a tower as a terrorist threat but some might and the hobby doesn't need another black eye. I don't see a problem with keeping the required minimum distances set by law but I'd have that info on hand if somebody comes looking for you while you're flying. Also many lower voltage (distribution voltages) lines have shorter clearances between phases and it would be very easy for a drone to get in between or cause one phase to slap another and burn down. Just take care around any power lines and give them some room.

Again, I didn't expect a lot of people to agree with me. A small tree limb falling on a power line can cause can short on a circuit.

Just think about someone in the OR being operated on, or some old folks with oxygen machines to keep them alive, or business owners losing customers because there is no power at their businesses due to a power outage by a drone. I don't mind taking risks, but not at the expense of others.

Just check out these:

Mountain View: Drone crash knocks out power to 1,600
Drone causes power outage after flying into power line in Moore, OK > Helicopter Association International
A Power Outage In Silicon Valley Was Caused By A Drone Crash - Slashdot
Drone CRASH triggers Hollywood BLACKOUT
two diff stories and the same lump of burnt who knows what is on the ground, the other one has no proof what so ever. it says a drone was the cause, WHERES THE REAL PROOF???

Not saying it's real or fake news but it would be very difficult to pin this to anybody if they left the scene. It's funny how the media jumps on stories involving drones. Yes it would be easy to knock out power with a small quad but Mylar balloons and birds do it on a daily basis and you don't see the media highlighting that. I've caught kids flying kites burn down line...again no bias against kite flying. The power company might or might not try to charge you for damages (if you admit to fault) but it's the lawyers/insurance companies representing the public that will try to put the blame on you. It's not much different that taking out a pole with a vehicle. As a heads up if you do screw up and cause an incident involving a power line, leave the area. I'd say get your quad as well but there is a strong chance you might walk into the danger zone. Just because it looks safe is a very dangerous assessment to make if you're not trained correctly. Fire dept and law enforcement personal do that all the time and in general they do get some training involving downed lines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan