DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quickshots - lock on?

KingRat

Reactions
I have had my Air a year now and I still haven't been able to get a quickshot to work. I have just watched another three or four You Toob tutorials on them, they are all the same, when you have watched one, you have watched them all... but the thing is I am doing exactly what these say to do - but the camera still can't get a lock on to me. I have tried with a bright red motorcycle, it said it had got it, but it lost it within seconds. I have tried a white motorcycle and I have tried people in various colour clothes - and I tried my boat, which is bright red and black and I was wearing site high viz.... it got me for a short while in 'spotlight' but that was the only time and it didn't lock on, it lost me fairly quickly.

Anyone got any specific tips that I might try to get a better success please?

Are you trying for video or still images?
At the moment, the image aspect is immaterial - I just want to get it to fly! If it shoots video at the same time, it doesn't matter. I just want to get to be able to get it to work.

At the moment, the image aspect is immaterial - I just want to get it to fly! If it shoots video at the same time, it doesn't matter. I just want to get to be able to get it to work.
Please restate your question.. can you fly it or not?
What equipment (all of it) are you using?

How far away is your drone when you try to lock it on? I too am new at this was working on quickshots the other day and I had to move the drone in closer for it to lock on, then backed it out to where I wanted to start.

Reactions: KingRat
How far away is your drone when you try to lock it on? I too am new at this was working on quickshots the other day and I had to move the drone in closer for it to lock on, then backed it out to where I wanted to start.
I started at about 20 feet away I suppose, not far.

just curious..are you talking about quick shots or active track?
BOTH - I can't get either to work. I must be missing a stage or something. I have watched about 300 hours of tutorials now, while I was recovering from a major accident and just lying in bed unable to go out it kept me engaged. I have made notes in a notebook to use as a reference guide too! Gimble settings, stick reaction time settings have been done and written down in case I lose them! Now I am back on my feet and starting to fly for real, rather than just round the garden for practice.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Heres a video that talks about target locking, it starts at 1:40 in. Is some id but it was helpful to me anyway, have a look

8+ Hidden Settings/Features You DIDN'T KNOW The DJI Mavic Air 2 Has! - YouTube
The only trouble is - I DON'T HAVE A MAVIC AIR 2.... I am on a Mavic Air. I do not need an AIR 2, the AIR (mk1) for me is a better drone - the mk2 is simply too big physically. When I get proficient I will go to the 1" sensor and put up with the bulk and weight.

The only trouble is - I DON'T HAVE A MAVIC AIR 2.... I am on a Mavic Air. I do not need an AIR 2, the AIR (mk1) for me is a better drone - the mk2 is simply too big physically. When I get proficient I will go to the 1" sensor and put up with the bulk and weight.
So sorry, I did not read good enough I guess.

I am on a Mavic Air.
I've never really tried the quick shots, but I use active track all the time. It doesn't always lock on in dull lighting conditions but It works well otherwise. You have to have the drone above a certain altitude to engage it. about 10 feet..that being said... it will track you at a much lower altitude so you have to be alert ifSnapshot - 23 (2).png you have it leading or following you. I usually put in profile and control it if needed using just the right stick. The 1 does a better job than the 2 when using that method...for me anyway...

Well partial success, I got helix to work, then I tried boomerang and that worked too, even moving around me while I moved. I thought there was a way of choosing the size of the circle it would prescribe, or arc. But I couldn't find that control on the screen.

Next up I tried 'Active Track' again. I got it onto the screen, but instead of the choices appearing along the bottom like before, they were very small down the side, in blue and it took me an age to find them, they blended in too much I couldn't see them being blue on a dark background. I got it to the point of having to draw a box... this is where I struggle, I can't get the box to draw. The green circle is flashing on me, I tried just hitting it, but it needed more target, so I tried to draw the square and it ended up not on me at all. There must be a knack to how to draw the square. I have to have one hand to hold the controller, so I only have one hand to try and draw the square - it isn't easy. I got it say GO, but it still didn't follow me, it hadn't got that lock on again. I kept trying and did get it to lock on in spotlight once - I walked under it, and then it lost me.... I wondered if it would spin and follow me. I was a bit stumped for where I could walk, so had to go that way. That highlighted another situation - how do you turn off the 'active track' to go back to standard screen? I couldn't find it for the life of me - I tried the 3 dots top right. That wasn't right. In the end I just hit the home button and switched off. I had done enough for one session.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405