DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

QuickShots vs Other Options?

Version3

Reactions
So I see some discussion around the forums about waypoints and a lot of abbreviations around models and apps and whatever; it doesn't feel very accessible to the new guy, so at the risk of getting beat up about "search" I'm going to ask some new guy questions around flight and video automation (by the way, I did use search, I just couldn't really get a lot of the discussions returned).

What I'm used to, is the 3DR Solo. There are things I really liked about it. There are things I didn't (it liked to fly into things without being asked to). One of the things I really liked, was how good it was at setting up and then executing shots. Even with the stock app/software, you basically set up these "cable" type shots where you set a start point, and an end point and you could execute that shot over and over again. You could even string together multiple points to automate an entire shot. This was good for getting perfect movement and camera timing around a subject, or being able to repeat a shot multiple times.

I found the QuickShots right away... I don't do a lot of action myself nor am I usually the subject of interest, so these are largely not that useful for me as they seem to depend on a single subject of focus or panoramas.

I wouldn't say this is a complaint, so far I love this little Air. It's phenomenal. I'm just now trying to understand how I can best get the types of results I'm used to.

So, if you wanted to for example, shoot video of a home and the property that surrounds it (maybe it's being built) how would you go about setting up a series of repeatable shots? Like:
  • panning across the width of the property with the whole house remaining center frame (not a person).
  • setting a path to create a repeatable shot where you may approach the property, crane down and pan to allow subjects to walk within the frame up the driveway toward the house, and be able to repeat the shot multiple times
  • Set up multiple points of interest on that property and return to the site weekly to repeat a series of photos, short video shots or similar?
I don't shoot real estate for a living or anything, I used my 3DR to try and do a lot of this when my house was being built. I also used it to attempt more cinematic shots involving people or cars and multiple takes were usually involved. I guess I'm looking for a way to automate at least the pilot portion for these shots, and maybe the flight AND the camera moves. I just need more than selfie-focused, chase that guy on the motorbike or spin around a single point for a while. I wonder how other people solve these problems with their DJI products? I look forward to any ideas that don't involve the obvious "practice buttery-smooth flying"... I'm already trying to practice that one. ;-)

I'm on iOS and Mac if that makes any difference at all.

Reactions: mad monkey
You can use a app called litchi and it has waypoints built into it. You can set and save missions and then if you wanted to fly the same thing you just load that mission. There are tons of options to make the camera do all diffrent things. To much to explain but look up the app called litchi and you'll see what I mean.

You can use a app called litchi and it has waypoints built into it. You can set and save missions and then if you wanted to fly the same thing you just load that mission. There are tons of options to make the camera do all diffrent things. To much to explain but look up the app called litchi and you'll see what I mean.

Yes Litchi is your answer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE