DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Radio communication - unusual situation, need guidance

Dronemark

Reactions
Hi folks,
I need some input on protocol for dealing with pilots at a a small non-tower airstrip. In the past I've obtained waivers to fly in zero grid airspace in proximity to larger airports, and communicated with towers by phone in advance of my flights, but this situation is new to me so any advice is appreciated. Here are the details:

I've been contracted to fly orbitals and ortho mapping, recurring weekly for 26 weeks, over a construction site that is literally at the end of the runway. The airspace on the construction site is class G. It's such a small airfield that I don't even get a no-fly warning when I open GS Pro or Go4. All the planes are small single engine or crop dusters.

The first week I flew, several planes came over my location on landing approach. Fortunately my drone was on the ground at the time, but they were all at about the same altitude I fly, around 300' AGL. After that, I reached out to the airport admins to inform them about my presence. They asked that I monitor the CTAF and announce myself if I hear anything related to aircraft approaching or taking off from their field. I told them Part 107 doesn't allow me to talk on the radio. They told me that not all the pilots who fly in and out of their field are good about announcing themselves, so just monitoring might not be sufficient. They said they would give me authorization to announce myself and communicate on the radio.
Questions:
-Can they grant this authorization for me to communicate with pilots, or does that have to come from the FAA or someplace higher than the local airfield?
-I've never had occasion to talk on the radio. If they permit me, what would be the protocol for announcing my presence? How should I identify myself, my drone and my location in appropriate language?
-Any other suggestions for ways to handle this?

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
You would need FCC permission to transmit with an airband radio. A local airfield has no legal authority to grant you that permission.

You're in class G.

But most likely they won't hear you on the ground especially if there is no ground station to transmit to. The aircraft are the antenna.

If the airport has anything, they'd have automated weather, but they could add drone advisory in the broadcast. The other would be to file a NOTAM for the area.

Knowing which way the wind is blowing will help determine how much you would be in their way.

Part 107 doesn't include anything about talking on the radio.

Hi folks,
I need some input on protocol for dealing with pilots at a a small non-tower airstrip. In the past I've obtained waivers to fly in zero grid airspace in proximity to larger airports, and communicated with towers by phone in advance of my flights, but this situation is new to me so any advice is appreciated. Here are the details:

I've been contracted to fly orbitals and ortho mapping, recurring weekly for 26 weeks, over a construction site that is literally at the end of the runway. The airspace on the construction site is class G. It's such a small airfield that I don't even get a no-fly warning when I open GS Pro or Go4. All the planes are small single engine or crop dusters.

The first week I flew, several planes came over my location on landing approach. Fortunately my drone was on the ground at the time, but they were all at about the same altitude I fly, around 300' AGL. After that, I reached out to the airport admins to inform them about my presence. They asked that I monitor the CTAF and announce myself if I hear anything related to aircraft approaching or taking off from their field. I told them Part 107 doesn't allow me to talk on the radio. They told me that not all the pilots who fly in and out of their field are good about announcing themselves, so just monitoring might not be sufficient. They said they would give me authorization to announce myself and communicate on the radio.
Questions:
-Can they grant this authorization for me to communicate with pilots, or does that have to come from the FAA or someplace higher than the local airfield?
-I've never had occasion to talk on the radio. If they permit me, what would be the protocol for announcing my presence? How should I identify myself, my drone and my location in appropriate language?
Contact your FAA field office.

Hi folks,

Questions:
You’re 100% allowed to announce yourself.

You are in the approach path to an airfield. This is a critical transition point no matter what class airspace it is.
You did right by contacting the local airport operator. They are right that a lot of general aviation pilots do not announce on unicom, because the clame VFR (visual flight rules) how ever The FBO (fixed base operator) should have contact information for all tenants. A tenant advisory could be sent to tenants informing them the use of a UAS with a map and operation information. That would assume the pilots were to read it, most I see dont look for NOTAMS or half way do preflight. Talk to the FBO about their knowledge heavier flight days and time.

For your part use a VO or 2. Make sure the VO understands their job and can communicate to the PIC. Use FlightRadar24 app to look for aircraft in the area.

What altitude are you flying? Should be right around 200'?

We have to be overall responsible for our actions and provide safe conditions for manned pilots. We can coexist in airspace just not at the same time.

If I was to announce myself, what's the protocol? What language do I use to ID myself, my drone and my location?
"(Airport Name) Traffic. An UAS is operating at and below (feet) AGL, in the approach to Runway (runway number). (Airport Name) Traffic.

"(Airport Name) Traffic. An UAS is operating at and below (feet) AGL, in the approach to Runway (runway number). (Airport Name) Traffic.
Thank you. Should I use phonetic alphabet for this (Uniform Alpha Sierra for UAS, Alpha Golf Lima for AGL) or is that not necessary?

You are in the approach path to an airfield. This is a critical transition point no matter what class airspace it is.
You did right by contacting the local airport operator. They are right that a lot of general aviation pilots do not announce on unicom, because the clame VFR (visual flight rules) how ever The FBO (fixed base operator) should have contact information for all tenants. A tenant advisory could be sent to tenants informing them the use of a UAS with a map and operation information. That would assume the pilots were to read it, most I see dont look for NOTAMS or half way do preflight. Talk to the FBO about their knowledge heavier flight days and time.

For your part use a VO or 2. Make sure the VO understands their job and can communicate to the PIC. Use FlightRadar24 app to look for aircraft in the area.

What altitude are you flying? Should be right around 200'?

We have to be overall responsible for our actions and provide safe conditions for manned pilots. We can coexist in airspace just not at the same time.
Thanks. I'm flying at 300'. I do have the FlightRadar app but my experience has been that it doesn't pick up low flying aircraft, only the larger and higher altidude commercial flights. Is there a way to calibrate it for lower altitude?

Just get a handheld..(fairly expensive) and just speak clearly... Use the airport name..."XYZ traffic...drone pilot on ground..I'm flying a red drone north of runway 22 at 250 ft. I"ll report clear. XYZ traffic" and then listen up. A lot of pilots won't report until they hear someone in their vicinity. repeat your transmission fairly often but don't load up the frequency. Make sure you announce the airport at the end of the message because in the air you can hear airports on the same frequency for a very long distance. Typical cockpit conversation..."Where did that guy say he was?? ..uh..I don't think he said"..

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I can't remember all specifics but we are talking safety here and "Flight safety is the primary purpose of all Aviation Services." I think it would fall under the listed: Aeronautical advisory stations, also called Unicom stations, are land stations used for advising pilots of private aircraft about local airport conditions. They are not used to control aircraft in flight.

I think even if a normal Illegal action by the FCC, nobody would think it wrong in such a instance and move on it... IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaTC
I can't remember all specifics but we are talking safety here and "Flight safety is the primary purpose of all Aviation Services." I think it would fall under the listed: Aeronautical advisory stations, also called Unicom stations, are land stations used for advising pilots of private aircraft about local airport conditions. They are not used to control aircraft in flight.

I think even if a normal Illegal action by at he FCC, nobody would think it wrong in such a instance and move on it... IMHO.

You might be right that this sort of usage is not a priority for the FCC to crack down on, but legally speaking you still need to get the license. Fines for improper usage of regulated radio frequencies can be quite steep. (I'm a licensed amateur radio operator as well, and am familiar with how the FCC can throw the book at people .. if they decide to)

You might be right that this sort of usage is not a priority for the FCC to crack down on, but legally speaking you still need to get the license. Fines for improper usage of regulated radio frequencies can be quite steep. (I'm a licensed amateur radio operator as well, and am familiar with how the FCC can throw the book at people .. if they decide to)
When it began, every pilot was required to have a radio license on board.

But since it became a public frequency for the operation of aviation used worldwide, and call letters that of the tail number, and the equipment serviced by certified radio mechanics, it no longer became an issue. There's a common lingo also. There are older radios that bleed over and are no longer legal to use since more channels have been crammed into the airband.

Ground crews are required to use a radio to get around the airport using active taxiways or crossing runways.

You should talk to the airport management about them filing a NOTAM regarding you regularly flying a drone right off the end of the runway. (perhaps you could come up with a schedule that could be included in the NOTAM) This way pilots would at least have a heads up about what they should be on the lookout for. Checking NOTAMS is a pre-flight requirement, unlike using the radio at an uncontrolled field.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS