DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rain

Interesting. Looks like the Phantom 5 will be a very cool drone. Only thing that scares me is the price. ;) $1700-$2500 range without even an extra battery seems steep.

Yes BUT!!!! Look what you are getting, if the specs are real.

Interchangable lens, like the Inspire
Occusync 2
Obstacle avoidance just like the M2
Maybe even be available/compatible with the Smart Controller
Possible water resistance

Lots of people are selling their Mavic Pros to buy Mavic 2's. There will be thousands of people dumping their P4Ps for P5's.

A leaked picture, but by no means a reality. Sure looks nice.

DJI Phantom 5: Check Out the Awesome New Features!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
Yes BUT!!!! Look what you are getting, if the specs are real.

Interchangable lens, like the Inspire
Occusync 2
Obstacle avoidance just like the M2
Maybe even be available/compatible with the Smart Controller
Possible water resistance

Lots of people are selling their Mavic Pros to buy Mavic 2's. There will be thousands of people dumping their P4Ps for P5's.

A leaked picture, but by no means a reality. Sure looks nice.

DJI Phantom 5: Check Out the Awesome New Features!

I agree. I'm not at all saying its not worth it, I'm sure you are definitely getting what you are paying for. But it's just not what I can afford right now. I do want to buy a used P4 though, so maybe soon will be the right time.

Reactions: Former Member
As a electronics engineer who spent decades working on kit that spent its entire life out in the rain, snow, howling gales, sub-zero temperatures, and then was expected to fly over twice the speed of sound at a moment's notice, I reckon I know something about moisture, electronics, and corrosion. Has anyone ever flown in the rain with phontomrains jacket over a period of time then disassembled a drone to check for moisture ingression. Also, other than anecdotal evidence, has anyone who flies with a rain jacket, got documentary proof from DJI that rain ingression was the cause of a problem.

If you were to read a car manual from front to back, there are so many "donts" in there that you wouldn't want to even sit in it.

Finally, the motors on the mavics are brushless sealed induction motors which means they don't have contacts or brushes going onto a coil, which is what enables them to have an open design and is more efficient and much less prone to failure.

Many if not all submersable drones use brushless motors.

If you are not comfortable flying in the rain, then simply dont do it.

Interesting underwater video from a Mavic 2 zoom (I like the captures of the fish). Click the link that pops up in the video.

From what I have read on the forum over the last few months, you shouldn't fly in the rain, in humid conditions, through snow, fog, clouds, dusty areas, over the open sea, long wet grass, or beach areas. You should keep it bone dry at all times and dunk it in rice if (horror of horrors) it gets wet.

I could put my drones in an air-tight display case and watch videos of others enjoying their lives and their drones in the sure knowledge that, one day, they are going to regret so much as taking it out of the box.

On the other hand, I could fly my drone, (safely) my way, live life without worrying about the "what ifs" and take the consequences. If I lose it, either claim it on my insurance or wait for Christmas. If it stops working, save up and pay for the repair. I live on a pension so it would be painful.

Not every country has perfect flying conditions. Here in Victoria, Australia, the weather can go from 44Deg celsius and perfect flying to storms, clouds, and foul weather in just 15 minutes. We call it a "cool change" Also, we have stunning mountains with humid rain and temperate forests that run down to hundreds of miles of magnificent beaches. Hard not to be tempted to catch weather shots. In the winter, it can rain for days or weeks on end.

If you fly your drone within the law at all times, and it does fall out of the sky because of some earlier water ingress, then all you will have is a dead drone. I know many professional flyers who do the things that others say they shouldn't and have 5-year-old drones. After rain flying my drone, I dry it straight away, remove the battery, take off the protective lens cover, turn the drone upside down (for water run off) , and rest it in a box that has silica chrystals in the bottom and a small absorbent cloth on top of them. I then put the box in a warm, dry spot, typically near a warm air vent.

If it gets saltwater wet, I spray it gently with fresh water from a small gardening hand pump sprayer.

When flying, it does not go more than a couple of hundred metres away and flys at about 50 metres max.

I will certainly take on board many of the comments and modify my rain-flying practice to reduce the risks, but in the end, if you are not comfortable, it's your choice, but don't look down on others who choose differently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS