DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raleigh Area Flight Locations

Hello All. I live in Raleigh and am new to the drone world. I have read and researched all of the information I can on do's and don'ts. It kills me that there is no definitely "rules" to abide by (other than line of site, 400ft, national/state parks). I'm creating this thread in hopes others will chime in, locally, with info. Flight locations and things they've learned, others may not know. I want to be legal and want to make sure I'm abiding by the rules. This is a difficult thing to do with decent scenery considering most places to fly are public. National parks, state parks, airports, helipads. It's just crazy.
I also am a drone novice, i have had my Mavic for a couple of months with about 20 flights. I live in Washington NC (about a half hour E. of Greenville)
I am unable to get my computer to playback ANY video, so i only take still images. I do most of my flying over open farmland etc.

I live Apex/Holly Springs area. I am new to flying but I would like to meet up after I get it together. I have been to about every park within a 30 mile radius doing other activities so it will be interesting to think of the parks in terms of open flying space now.
A really good place to fly is called Suggs Farm at bass lakr. They have a dedicated RC field at which you can fly. Also I live in the Cary area if anyone wants to try and meet up.

Reactions: faridsani
Checking in from Cary . Would you please let me know good and legal parks to fly in area? Raleigh , Cary , ....

Is there anywhere around Morrisville to fly? I know it’s in a close proximity to RDU so I’m assuming the answer is no.

Is there anywhere around Morrisville to fly? I know it’s in a close proximity to RDU so I’m assuming the answer is no.

No to Morrisville. Why don’t you check out Raleigh? I flew from the parking lot of Big Ed’s market on the weekend and was able to fly all over the city. Lots of fun and it’s a safe place (for women fliers).

Reactions: faridsani
start with the law

read this
Note § 15A-300.1 (b)
Particularly note the 2nd sentence of 2. "places to which the general public is invited".

I have looked and cannot find any definition for "surveillance" that specifies a time duration that qualifies "close observation". Or maybe that means a closeup picture??? One would think that it would be a longer time period than a consumer drone can stay airborne. Anyway, as long as the pictures are not "published", you don't need consent.

Dorothea Dix's "Big Field" is a favorite spot. Just don't go too far northeast, then you are over the Central Prison.

Why do lawyers make laws that require lawyers and court action to interpret them?

start with the law

read this
Note § 15A-300.1 (b)
Particularly note the 2nd sentence of 2. "places to which the general public is invited".

I have looked and cannot find any definition for "surveillance" that specifies a time duration that qualifies "close observation". Or maybe that means a closeup picture??? One would think that it would be a longer time period than a consumer drone can stay airborne. Anyway, as long as the pictures are not "published", you don't need consent.

Dorothea Dix's "Big Field" is a favorite spot. Just don't go too far northeast, then you are over the Central Prison.

Why do lawyers make laws that require lawyers and court action to interpret them?

I’ve nearly flown over the prison - NP. Go up a ways from there and you can see the construction of the new Raleigh train station. Dorothea Dix really is a great launch site and you’ll meet other folks there flying all sorts of things.

Any Raleigh locals interested in meeting up one eve in August, either the 12th, 13th, 14th or 15th? I'm in town for some training, and working like to get some late-day shots of the skyline. I hardly know the area, but was thinking of Dix park, unless there are better ideas out there!

Going to DIX again today. This is the only place that I go to fly these days. The only place that I feel "comfortably legal". But, it's getting a bit stale/boring. I see lots of videos from falls lake but, is that a legal place to fly? I thought that it is a state park. Same with Jordan lake, right? I would really like to find more "comfortably legal" places to fly. Any suggestions?

I checked out Falls Lake, but there were a lot of people there, and I didn't want to ruin their experience. There MAY have been a sign there indicating that UAS flight is prohibited, so check ahead on state park ordinances.

I enjoyed flying around Halifax Mall, it was wide open (no trees), got to play around with the fixed-wing mode, didn't wreck, so all was good!

Going to DIX again today. This is the only place that I go to fly these days. The only place that I feel "comfortably legal". But, it's getting a bit stale/boring. I see lots of videos from falls lake but, is that a legal place to fly? I thought that it is a state park. Same with Jordan lake, right? I would really like to find more "comfortably legal" places to fly. Any suggestions?
It isn't illegal to fly at Jordan Lake, you just can't launch, control or land within the State Park. I have done it from a boat. The lake itself isn't part of the State Park, it is under the control of the Army Corps of Engineers. I talked with them and they don't mind if you fly there launching from a boat as long as you aren't flying over any of their infrastructure, specifically the dam. I did get a written permission letter from them to fly though so maybe you would want to contact them before you do. The only thing when I called they wanted to know why I was flying, and if it was commercial or for fun.

So just got my drone and new to this whole thing, but i am so confused about where it is legal and not legal to fly. I see a lot of people showing videos of Falls Lake, but I thought it was illegal to fly in NC State Parks?

Reactions: 2nckayakers
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore