DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extender Antenna Question

T|2eV0|2..::

Reactions
Hello there! I'm not really sure which topic to post this question but I feel this one probably suits it best because you can buy these extenders for a bunch of different drones. So I'll try to make this quick... I have a itelite nano sync range extender for my mavic Pro Platinum. I need to replace the antenna cables that go into the actual controller which is no problem at all, however if you're familiar with these the way they're designed is the cable itself comes out of the side of the tip so it can reach its connection without interfering with the inside of the controller. I cannot find this type anywhere except for their website of course but they said they're not shipping to Canada currently and it's going to be a long time if I do. so I got a bunch from Amazon but they all have the cable coming through the bottom straight down and I couldn't get the controller to close properly even after breaking off a couple pieces of the controller inside to make it fit. So not wanting to destroy the controller I took two of the straight cables and unscrewed it, took the pieces apart and dremeled a square out of the side. Revealing the pin on the inside I soldered the end of the cable to the bottom of the PIN and then screwed it back together. Now the cable is coming out of the side perfectly but I don't know about soldering antenna wire if it's possible or will be effective. Is this going to work? I did not change the length of the antenna cable I just soldered it the same length it was. A little freaked out to try it because I just replaced about 10 parts after a crash. So basically can these type of antenna wires be soldered like this? and will this perform the same? I don't see how it's different from how it was originally I just moved it to the side and the pin is still fine. I can always just put the stock antennas back for now if I have to. Sorry for such a long message I tried to make it short but I wanted to be as informative as I could thank you for your time. **I put a little bit of hot glue just to fill the hole so the cable wont move around as much and possibly snap off.

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_224012.jpg
    IMG_20220107_224012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220107_224052.jpg
    IMG_20220107_224052.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220107_224117.jpg
    IMG_20220107_224117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Hello there! I'm not really sure which topic to post this question but I feel this one probably suits it best because you can buy these extenders for a bunch of different drones. So I'll try to make this quick... I have a itelite nano sync range extender for my mavic Pro Platinum. I need to replace the antenna cables that go into the actual controller which is no problem at all, however if you're familiar with these the way they're designed is the cable itself comes out of the side of the tip so it can reach its connection without interfering with the inside of the controller. I cannot find this type anywhere except for their website of course but they said they're not shipping to Canada currently and it's going to be a long time if I do. so I got a bunch from Amazon but they all have the cable coming through the bottom straight down and I couldn't get the controller to close properly even after breaking off a couple pieces of the controller inside to make it fit. So not wanting to destroy the controller I took two of the straight cables and unscrewed it, took the pieces apart and dremeled a square out of the side. Revealing the pin on the inside I soldered the end of the cable to the bottom of the PIN and then screwed it back together. Now the cable is coming out of the side perfectly but I don't know about soldering antenna wire if it's possible or will be effective. Is this going to work? I did not change the length of the antenna cable I just soldered it the same length it was. A little freaked out to try it because I just replaced about 10 parts after a crash. So basically can these type of antenna wires be soldered like this? and will this perform the same? I don't see how it's different from how it was originally I just moved it to the side and the pin is still fine. I can always just put the stock antennas back for now if I have to. Sorry for such a long message I tried to make it short but I wanted to be as informative as I could thank you for your time. **I put a little bit of hot glue just to fill the hole so the cable wont move around as much and possibly snap off.

Difficult to say. Coaxial cable wants to have a consistent geometry everywhere .... a wire inside a hollow conductive cylinder with all the dimensions uniform. When you made the right angle turn you disturbed that condition, but it's possible that the change is small compared to a wavelength and won't have too much effect. I'd bet that you'd be able to see the blip on a Time Domain Reflectometer, but hopefully not a significant one.

But here's a super important point ... is the shield of the coax still solidly connected to the outside of the connector? If not you have a major problem. It's almost certain that the shield is not connected all the way around the connector like it was originally, but if it isn't connected at all you now have a wire, not a cable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54