DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extender for Mavic Pro Platinum

Hello,

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot . I'm still new to Mavic Pilot Forum

I've got a Mavic Pro Platinum.
I'm some what of a new drone pilot, ive got a coupe hours flying it out on the outskirts of my town . And have done pretty good over all but now I'm interested in gathering more information from you all about the Range Extenders.
I'm looking to get a little bit more stronger range out of my Mavic Pro Platinum.
Right now I'm getting about 3/4 of a mile and i start to get a blinking RF signal, so I don't push it beyond that.

I live in a large city, ( Nevada ) with lots of residential property, so I know I have alot of signal interference.
Does anyone had any suggestions that might help !!!

Once again I'm not trying to fly 3-4 miles out , I'm more looking for like 1.5 mile max. My most important thing is to get something that helps increase my signals and to extended some range with some interference near by

Call Titan Drones ya 1-855-205-9297. Ask for James. Tell him that The Dronz Dr recommended you. Tell him what you are trying to do. And he will lead you in the right direction.

The Dronz Dr

@lannes, thank your for your help and the youtube link that you provided helped me make my choice. As for the right frequency, got to read those manuals, which so many do not do.

Thanks Again

@lannes, thank your for your help and the youtube link that you provided helped me make my choice. As for the right frequency, got to read those manuals, which so many do not do.

Thanks Again

No problems with that, Mavic Pro and Platinum only work with the 2.4ghz antennas, the P4P is dual frequency, 2.4ghz is the best for range

I am a brand newbie to drones and the remote control world.

I hope I can put into words what my mind is seeing. I am talking about the concept, not the specifics with this or any directional antenna.With a directional antenna I envision the pattern (at some distance) as somewhat like a teardrop View attachment 29598 omni-directional at a closer range and a very narrow radiation pattern at greater distances.
In a perfect environment when the antenna is pointed directly at the aircraft (AC), it receives maximum signal from the remote control (RC).

As the angle from the AC to the RC moves away from the perfect relationship does the RC / display show a decreased signal strength before the dreaded lost signal? If so, will slowly rotating the RC back and forth (sweeping) keep the optimum angle between the RC & the AC.

I understand this is a LONG WAY past line of sight but those that are going to directional antenna's are wanting maximum range and not concerned about line of sight.

I have included a link (it is very technical) on how to calculate theoretical range distances using the 2.4 Ghz band (and the effects of these waves)
Many factors can have a detrimental effect on Radio wave propagation such as humidity, walls, trees etc.

Here is the link:

Understanding Wireless Range Calculations

As an example, when flying IFR on instruments using a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional range) you can calculate the MTR (maximum theoretical range) of the VOR by using the formula:

Maximum Theoretical Range = 1.25 x (SQRT H1 + SQRT H2)

Where MTR = Nautical Miles and H1 / H2 = Feet

Takes me back to my radio theory exam questions ahhhhhhhhhh

I'm a bit new to the mavic platform but can say without a doubt that the parabolic mentioned in the first reply for 10 bucks works. I flew it on my P4 and noticed a tremendous difference. Bounces the signal that is being xmited at you back towards the drone. I've only had my mavic a few days now and have not had the time or weather to go out and push the boundaries as before. For 10 bucks you can't go wrong and no mods to do to your controller. Slip on and off....too easy.

Reactions: JoMaMa
I have included a link (it is very technical) on how to calculate theoretical range distances using the 2.4 Ghz band (and the effects of these waves)
Many factors can have a detrimental effect on Radio wave propagation such as humidity, walls, trees etc.

Here is the link:

Understanding Wireless Range Calculations

As an example, when flying IFR on instruments using a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional range) you can calculate the MTR (maximum theoretical range) of the VOR by using the formula:

Maximum Theoretical Range = 1.25 x (SQRT H1 + SQRT H2)

Where MTR = Nautical Miles and H1 / H2 = Feet

Takes me back to my radio theory exam questions ahhhhhhhhhh

Honestly I don’t see why any Mavic Pro user would need this because OcuSync is super good. For me in Canada is 7KM. The battery barely have enough juice to Go>back.

Reactions: old man mavic
Honestly I don’t see why any Mavic Pro user would need this because OcuSync is super good. For me in Canada is 7KM. The battery barely have enough juice to Go>back.

It's not about range but signal strength for me.

Once Transport Canada gets it's way, 7km is not going to matter, you guys will need liability insurance

Reactions: The Moment Thinker
Not about the range ....sometimes people need better signal quality in close.....plus people like to tinker

everything i read here is for the controller only. how about something for on the drone?
transmitter is one thing. receiving the signal is another.

everything i read here is for the controller only. how about something for on the drone?
transmitter is one thing. receiving the signal is another.
'Antenna' gain works both ways @packnrat ... If you have a method to concentrate the antenna radiation for transmission, then that same 'concentration' increases the received signal strength (as long as the antenna is pointed toward the drone). The only time this wouldn't work, is if you found some way of increasing the transmission power at the RC controller, but still use the same omni-directional antennas - as that mod' would have nothing to 'boost' the signal coming back from the Drone.

'Antenna' gain works both ways @packnrat ... If you have a method to concentrate the antenna radiation for transmission, then that same 'concentration' increases the received signal strength (as long as the antenna is pointed toward the drone). The only time this wouldn't work, is if you found some way of increasing the transmission power at the RC controller, but still use the same omni-directional antennas - as that mod' would have nothing to 'boost' the signal coming back from the Drone.

Ok I am trying to learn here.
But no need to improve the drones recive ability. If the transmit is “putting” out a better/stronger signal.
do I get that right
But then the drone returns a signal to the controller. how does that improve?
Or just a none issue for proper and correct control of said drone.

Iannes,... I agree...!! The Titandrones equipment is beautifully engineered and their customer service is outstanding,...!!
(No,.... I don’t work for the company),... they’ve earned their good reputation in my opinion,....[emoji106].
Contact James with Titan Drones.. I think his middle name is "Customer Service". When I first purchased my Cyclone antenna system from them I was having some connection issues. I called and was talking to James about the issues i was having. He offered to drive over (30+ miles) to loan me his own remote to me so I could fly if I had a job that required a drone. To me that was way above and beyond customer services.

I have since converted my Titan Cyclone to a Titan Switch. I've also purchased their suction cup antenna setup for the car. I love being able fly from inside my car when it way to hot or cold outside for me.

OK @packnrat - the way this works is to stop thinking that the controller is transmitting a stronger signal. A standard (called a 'dipole') antenna radiates an equal amount of transmission 'power' in all directions (it's "omni-directional"). When you use a set of directional antenna's or a slip-on reflector, that doesn't give you more transmitted power, it just concentrates transmission of your existing radio energy in a specific direction, you get a 'lobe' of energy that is more powerful in that direction - e.g. most of it goes in front - rather than behind. You can think of it like a torch - the lamp is made to look brighter by reflecting the light going in the direction you don't want it to, forward where you want it. However, what you may not realise, is that if light is shone back at the torch, then the 'reflector' concentrates that light back onto the lamp (a bit like a magnifying glass focuses the sun to a point), so that the lamp is sitting in a 'brighter' area than its surroundings. Same with Radio waves - if you have a way to concentrate or focus a lobe of radio frequency energy out from you, then that same 'focusing mechanism' (directional antenna), will focus the returning radio signal into the receiver. Antenna gain (measured in dB), is a measure of how much gain that particular type of, or model of, directional antenna will give over a standard dipole antenna. It's nothing to do with the actual power radiated.
If - however - you did have a mechanism on your drone to continuously point a directional antenna back at you from its point in the sky, then you could have the best of both worlds and be in good signal contact for many, many miles (without being picked up by DJI Aeroscope) ...

Last edited:
I bought one of those reflective type antenna directors. It fits over the antennas and is directional. You have to constantly point toward the drone. It worked ok on the Spark but I did not like how the Mavic behaved with those on. Occusync works pretty well without any additional aid.

I have since converted my Titan Cyclone to a Titan Switch.

Can't say enough good things about their customer service. I bought the 9 DB whips and fly with them all the time. I use the Omni of I am trying to get over a ridge or wanting to get a little more reliable connection at range.

I just got the 4hawks XR for my mav pro platinum. I'll let you know how it works out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121