DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range extension.

the moog

Reactions
Ok then.. I’m in the uk so my mp is on ce mode. I’m not particularly savvy with computers so if I’m going to swap from ce to fcc I may need someone to do it for me.
My question is though- what IS the best way to get a stronger signal and more secure range on a Mavic Pro?
Is it,
Yagis
Parayagis
Fcc
Boosted antenna,
Those round wire things that involve taking apart the controller
The lollipop style things that also involve taking apart the controller.

I’m new to mp but I like messing with stuff. Now I’m not after flying away for miles but I want to be confident that the signal will be strong at all times. The farthest I have gone so far was about 600m and it was still ok even with large trees in the way.
There doesn’t seem to be a concrete answer and yes, I get that all circumstances are different but there must be an overall winner..
Thoughts / opinions / advice welcome.

@the moog the things that you mention will really only concentrate the signal between the RC and drone and will mean having to have the antennas on the RC pointing directly at the drone as the beam will be narrower it will make no difference for normal VLOS operations and if the drone goes behind you then the signal can actually be worse ,in my opinion the cost and effort in opening up the RC ,and the fact of possible damage fitting the boosted antennas, is not worth the risk

Actually I’ve been thinking about it. The original antennas look ok, fold down and do the job. I’ll leave them for a while.

Reactions: old man mavic
Ok then.. I’m in the uk so my mp is on ce mode. I’m not particularly savvy with computers so if I’m going to swap from ce to fcc I may need someone to do it for me.
My question is though- what IS the best way to get a stronger signal and more secure range on a Mavic Pro?
Is it,
Yagis
Parayagis
Fcc
Boosted antenna,
Those round wire things that involve taking apart the controller
The lollipop style things that also involve taking apart the controller.

I’m new to mp but I like messing with stuff. Now I’m not after flying away for miles but I want to be confident that the signal will be strong at all times. The farthest I have gone so far was about 600m and it was still ok even with large trees in the way.
There doesn’t seem to be a concrete answer and yes, I get that all circumstances are different but there must be an overall winner..
Thoughts / opinions / advice welcome.
I find Alientech's Powered Boosted Antennas extremely effective. Good penetration and excellent range. With their powered antennas, my battery is the limiting factor on range. I use spotters and or extreme 2000 lumen lights so I can see the drone at far distances. 2000 lumens is amazing. I can see the lights in broad daylight at 4 miles flashing away in the sky without any problem, but by that time, i have to return home due to battery power limits. Alientech's powered dual band antenna costs about 300 dollars USA.

I’ve seen those antennas. It involves taking the controller apart though doesn’t it?

I’ve seen those antennas. It involves taking the controller apart though doesn’t it?
Yes. It's time consuming and you have to be very careful. I had a spare remote and watched youtube videos on how to take them apart before I tried it. Without the you tube vids, I don't think I could have done it without causing damage. I accomplished the task. It takes about 2 hours to take it apart and put it back together. I think, alientech will install the antennas for you. I forgot the price of installation.

Hi !
I have found that parabolic reflectors, thus appearing
gross, are very effective in reducing signal lag and video latency. Both on Mavic Mini and Mavic Pro. Data acquired from Airdata sheets. On a Fimi X8 too, they behave well. About yagis, I can confirm what Old Man Mavic said. They are directional ( 60° the ones with 5 elements, 40° those with 8 elements ) and improve especially drone signals. They are NOT as effective as parabolics for what concerns the video latency and integrity. But those results were from 5,8 Ghz configurations only. I should try them on a 2,4 Ghz Mavic Pro...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag