DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range is shorter on one of my Mavics than the other!

ihavequestions

Reactions
I have two somewhat identical drones. One is a Mavic 2 Pro, the other a Mavic 2 zoom. From what I understand, it's the same drone with different cameras. But one seems to get more interference than the other consistently even though both are with the same default settings. Could there be a reason why? I'm guessing firmware has nothing to do with it but that's a variable that's different between the two.

Reactions: Droniac
I have both drones also but what do you mean by interference. Magnetic or wifi ?
which drone has better range as I never tested a full range test on either drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

To make sure it is not a fault on one of the drones you will need to make sure both are running same firmware, then try using the one single controller on both drones, check transmission settings are identical in settings, then try other controller and see what happens, both drones are identical except for the camera.

I have both drones also but what do you mean by interference. Magnetic or wifi ?
which drone has better range as I never tested a full range test on either drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I'm not sure what is magnetic vs wifi but it's about the range limitations. I'll get to a certain distance and it will drop signal and start the return to home process.

as an addendum to post 3.
With or without harmonising firmware and settings etc. you could also hook both controllers up to each drone in turn. One controller being the primary and the other the secondary. (read the manual section first, p46 https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic_2_Pro_Zoom_User_Manual_v2.2_en.pdf )
Then see which controller indicates a loss of connection first etc. etc. then swap their roles i.e. make the secondary the primary and the primary the secondary.
Then connect them to the second drone and repeat.
That way, for each individual flight, the the comparison is being made in identical conditions.

In photography when you buy a lens, you will learn that you can have 2 identical lenses and one can be or will be sharper. I know a photographer that buys 7 of the same lens to keep 1 or 2 "the sharper ones"

When you buy a car the horsepower is estimated, not warrantied. from car to car (same model) you will find one engine can produce a little bit more than the other. That's the nature of manufacturing. I will not be surprised if is the same case with the drones. Transmission, battery endurance, etc... The difference should not be notable but will exist.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
as an addendum to post 3.
With or without harmonising firmware and settings etc. you could also hook both controllers up to each drone in turn. One controller being the primary and the other the secondary. (read the manual section first, p46 https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic_2_Pro_Zoom_User_Manual_v2.2_en.pdf )
Then see which controller indicates a loss of connection first etc. etc. then swap their roles i.e. make the secondary the primary and the primary the secondary.
Then connect them to the second drone and repeat.
That way, for each individual flight, the the comparison is being made in identical conditions.
What a great idea.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000