DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range = no better than Air2

veryzebra

Reactions
6 flights today over 2 sessions using all 3 batteries twice. Today was my first day out but I have to say that I'm very disappointed. Great to be able to zoom, but the flyable range is no better than with my Air 2. I flew both in several locations. One from on top of the largest hill within miles and it loses connection as the same distance as my Air 2 setup. Does anyone else have the same experience? I see folks on youtube talking about flying for miles and miles but I now do not believe them. What's been your experience?

Some DJI products are better on range than others. Been that way for some time now. There are several that can exceed the two mile range.
Possibly Buggerville just isn’t a good spot to fly?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I see folks on youtube talking about flying for miles and miles but I now do not believe them. What's been your experience?
I have the RC Pro and have gone a few miles with no issues. I'm in open (unpopulated) desert and mountains though.

The direction of your antenna are crucial to connectivity as well. I tried to find 'Buggerville' to see it's location but was not successful.

If it is in a rural area with lots of towers and buildings then your connectivity will suffer . . . I barely get 3 blocks in downtown Los Angeles.

6 flights today over 2 sessions using all 3 batteries twice. Today was my first day out but I have to say that I'm very disappointed. Great to be able to zoom, but the flyable range is no better than with my Air 2. I flew both in several locations. One from on top of the largest hill within miles and it loses connection as the same distance as my Air 2 setup. Does anyone else have the same experience? I see folks on youtube talking about flying for miles and miles but I now do not believe them. What's been your experience?
Something is clearly wrong with your setup! M3 range with the extended battery life is up to 9 miles away with the RC-Pro that was designed for it, which has 4x the power of the RC-N1. With clear line of sight from an elevated location, 5 miles minimum!

Last edited:
The RC Pro is only a little more powerful than the RC-N1. You are not achieving the maximum distance for either controller so there are other things at play. Both the Mavic 3 and the Mavic Air 2 are capable of flying way beyond what is practical.

1. You must have clear line of sight to the drone at all times. Flying near 400ft when further out will help. Make sure there is nothing at all between you and the drone and the antennas are pointed directly at it.

2. Signal has to be free of interference from other influences. You may have better results picking a channel instead of letting the controller pick it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squidinc
I fly a MA2 usually over coastline, with a Yagi range extender. With nothing between my controller & the drone using the 2.4ghz band, I can easily get 2 klms (1.24 miles) with little to no signal loss.

3 miles out to ocean, completely unobstructed view appears to be it. I'll continue to adjust settings including maybe not going into auto on transmission but super disappointed

The RC Pro is only a little more powerful than the RC-N1. You are not achieving the maximum distance for either controller so there are other things at play. Both the Mavic 3 and the Mavic Air 2 are capable of flying way beyond what is practical.

1. You must have clear line of sight to the drone at all times. Flying near 400ft when further out will help. Make sure there is nothing at all between you and the drone and the antennas are pointed directly at it.

2. Signal has to be free of interference from other influences. You may have better results picking a channel instead of letting the controller pick it for you.
Everywhere I have read the flat of the antennas should be toward the drone. Not pointed (tip straight) directly at the drone.
Here is a video giving examples

Here is the instructions directly from DJI

Reactions: Saladshooter
Everywhere I have read the flat of the antennas should be toward the drone. Not pointed (tip straight) directly at the drone.
Here is a video giving examples

Here is the instructions directly from DJI
Thanks for the clarification.... I really meant the antennas should be directly aimed at the drone in the correct position., but it didn't come across as intended.

Thanks for the clarification.... I really meant the antennas should be directly aimed at the drone in the correct position., but it didn't come across as intended.
No problem. Just thought if you were pointing them straight at the drone, it would have been a reason for your problem. Hope you figure it out. Substandard performance can be frustrating.

I have an Air 2, with RC-N1 and a Mavic 3 with RC-N1 and RC Pro. I had a Smart Controller as well but sold it when RC Pro came out. Regret doing so, since Air 2 never got paired to RC Pro. To be fair Smart Controller range was never as far as RC-N1, but I liked the controller other wise. Now we have drones with Occusync 2, 3 and 3 plus, another new controller DJI RC, that only works with one drone. DJI is talking about pairing the downscale RC with Mavic 3 as another option, but zero mention of RC Pro and Mini 3 Pro. Come ON DJI!! Is it so hard to pair your Pro controller with the last 4 or 5 drones? I don't even care WHICH ONE you pair, as long as I can carry one and not 3 around.

Oh, and Mavic 3 with RC Pro has substantially longer range than Air 2 in my experience. .

Come ON DJI!! Is it so hard to pair your Pro controller with the last 4 or 5 drones? I don't even care WHICH ONE you pair, as long as I can carry one and not 3 around.
RC-Pro currently works with both the new Mavic 3 and the Air 2S, which is now a year old. That's ONE of the last 5 drones. ;)

Reactions: BlairAir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miniguy2mavic